Jackets are an absolute must-have for everyone in the cold season. However, for a long time now they have not only served as a source of warmth, but also have many practical features and functions. They also come in countless different cuts, materials and colours, so that both the sporty and the fashion-conscious man can find a suitable jacket.
Whether as a breezy summer jacket, practical windbreaker or stylish winter coat - jackets come in a wide variety of models. They all combine style with the necessary practicality. The perfect men's jacket rounds off every outfit and should therefore not be missing from any wardrobe.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Jacket: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying men's jackets
- 4 Men's jackets: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for men's jackets: How to achieve the perfect jacket look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Men's Jacket: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying men's jackets
From practical ski jackets to modern winter coats: jackets have long been used not only to keep you warm in cold seasons, but also to complete any outfit. Before you buy a jacket, however, you should think about a few things.
If you consider the following criteria, you are guaranteed to find the right jacket:
In the following sections, you will find out exactly what the individual criteria are.
One of the most important factors to consider when buying a men's jacket is the season in which the jacket will be worn.
Light models made of jeans, corduroy or linen are suitable for the warm summer months. Summer jackets for men are often cut like a jacket or other short jackets.
Jackets that are suitable for the low temperatures in winter, on the other hand, are often windproof and waterproof. This combined with a lining keeps you warm even on very cold days and protects you from any precipitation.
For the temperatures between the warm summer and the cold winter, there are special transitional jackets that are only lightly lined and usually also breathable. This makes them ideal for the spring and autumn seasons.
Men's jackets are made of many different materials. The material determines not only the look but also the comfort and water resistance.
Coated fabrics offer a sporty look as well as water and wind resistance. In addition, stains can be easily removed. Airy fabrics, on the other hand, are more suitable for dry, warmer times.
Jackets made of (synthetic) leather or jeans are very robust and look very casual when layered with other fabrics and patterns.
It is important that you adapt the care to the material. You can read more about this in a section below.
Depending on what you are looking for in a jacket, there are models with special features.
If you are looking for a jacket for hiking or other outdoor activities, weatherproof jackets with many pockets are suitable. Other jackets are made of soft, breathable material and are therefore the ideal companion for sporting activities.
If you are looking for a universal men's jacket, models that consist of two individual jackets connected by buttons and zips are suitable. In this way, the jacket can be adapted to the temperatures.
There are countless other features that jackets offer. This ensures that you will find a suitable jacket for every purpose.
Men's jackets come in different cuts. Short, boxy cut jackets are suitable for cool, casual looks. They emphasise the small of the back and make the shoulders look broader, creating a very masculine look.
Mid-length jackets reach above the hips and thus visually stretch the upper body. This modern cut looks youthful and perfectly complements the casual style.
Long-cut jackets and coats look very elegant. They are the ideal complement to any suit or business look. They also make any casual outfit look more chic.
So with such a wide selection, you can find a men's jacket to suit every preference and figure.
Men's jackets: The most important questions answered
With so much choice, it's not always easy to find the right men's jacket. That's why we have answered the most important questions about men's jackets for you.
In what styles are men's jackets available?
There is a suitable jacket for men with different features for every need. You can read all about the different models below.
- Summer jacket: These airy models are the ideal companion in the warmer months. They are often made of polyester or other lightweight fabrics without lining. They are perfect for balmy summer evenings or windy days. Summer jackets are usually cut a little shorter. Bomber jackets or boxy models made of jeans or leather are particularly popular.
- Transitional jacket: Lightly lined and down to the hips - transitional jackets are perfect for cooler days when it is still too warm for a warm winter jacket. They are often made of a water-repellent outer material so that they can also be worn on rainy days. Transitional jackets come in both shorter cuts and longer parka versions.
- Wind jacket: A wind jacket - often called a windbreaker - is a mostly thin jacket with a hood made of polyester. It is windproof and usually water-repellent, but not waterproof. It is therefore ideal for very windy but dry days.
- Rainjacket: Waterproof, usually slightly longer jackets with a hood are rain jackets. They are made of waterproof outer material and have an extra layer to really prevent water from getting through. Therefore, they are not only waterproof but also windproof. A classic, very popular model is the yellow mackintosh.
- Softshell jacket: A softshell jacket is often called an all-weather jacket. It is water-repellent and largely windproof. It is also breathable and barely lined. The light material means that it can be worn under other jackets or over thick jumpers on very cold days, while it is warm when worn alone on cooler days.
- Winter jacket: Most jackets are used in winter. There are countless brands that make jackets for the cold season. There are differences in the lining, the material and the cut. Many winter jackets have polyester as the outer material and are waterproof and windproof. Others are made of wool in the upper layer and are therefore not waterproof and windproof, but very warm.
- Parka: A parka is a jacket with a hood that reaches above the hips and has a modern cut. It is usually lined and therefore also suitable for colder days. The classic parka is khaki green and not waterproof, but parkas are now available in all colours and materials.
- Coat: A coat is mainly used in winter. Most of the coats on offer are made of wool and reach down to the thighs or even further. A coat is probably the most elegant jacket for winter and is often worn over suits or business outfits. They come in a variety of colours and with different collars.
In addition to these different jackets, there are other men's jackets. Many of them are named after material or cut, such as denim or bomber jackets. And even within these categories, there are further distinctions so that there is the right model for every man.
How do I know if my jacket fits well?
To ensure that the jacket provides optimal warmth and looks good, the following points help to test the fit of the jacket.
- Sleeves: When the arms are stretched out, the sleeve should not slip too far onto the forearm.
- Shoulders: The shoulder seam should rest exactly on your shoulders.
- Fit: When closed, the jacket should be neither too tight nor too loose. It is best to try it on with a slightly thicker jumper so that the jacket is comfortable even in winter.
- Length: Depending on the season, jackets tend to be cut shorter or longer. Winter jackets should go at least to the hips, if not cover the buttocks, to keep the body ideally warm.
- Movement: When moving the upper body, the jacket should not slide around the body too much or restrict movement.
In addition to these factors, personal feeling also plays an important role, of course. A jacket can fit very well, but if it is not comfortable for the wearer, there is no point in wearing it.
How do I clean my men's jacket?
To enjoy your jacket for as long as possible, proper care is essential. While some jackets can be washed normally in the washing machine, other materials are more sensitive and need to be washed by hand or even professionally cleaned.
Jackets made of polyester, for example, can be washed in a normal gentle cycle. However, they must not be dried in the dryer, as the temperatures there are too high and can damage the material.
However, a jacket made of wool or leather should never be machine washed, as the material would be damaged. In this case, it is worthwhile to clean it spot by spot with a microfibre cloth or take the jacket to the dry cleaner. This way you can wear such a delicate jacket for a long time.
If the jacket will not be worn for a longer period of time, it is advisable to store it in a protected place. There are special boxes that protect the garment from sunlight, dust and other stain hazards.
Styling tips for men's jackets: How to achieve the perfect jacket look
You can simply throw on a jacket quickly just before leaving the house and you're done. But if you want to put a little more effort into it and the jacket is there for more than just keeping you warm, we have a few sytling tips for you.
- In winter, scarves and hats, as well as gloves, are perfect to complement the winter jacket look.
- In addition to their primary function as warmers, jackets are also great accessories. With eye-catching colours or cuts, they turn any plain outfit into an eye-catcher.
- Lighter jackets can be rolled up or gathered at the sleeves to create a loose look.
- A uniform, elegant look can be created by matching jackets and shoes.
With these tips, you can style any jacket to suit your personal preferences.
A jacket goes with any outfit, whether it's dressy or casual! You always have the option of matching the colour of the jacket to the outfit and wearing a uniform look, or choosing a jacket that will be an eye-catcher - just as you like.
Whether sporty, modern or elegant: men's jackets are practical and stylish at the same time. You don't have to freeze or compromise on your outfit. You too are guaranteed to find a jacket that suits you!
Image source: unsplash.com / Robbie Noble