For the cold seasons, jumpers for men are a very comfortable pleasant garment. Depending on the occasion, there are different cuts, styles and patterns to suit every occasion.
For choosing the perfect men's jumper, we have compiled the best tips for you here, together with important questions and ideas for styling men's jumpers.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Jumpers: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying men's suits
- 4 Jumpers for men: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for jumpers: How to achieve the perfect jumper look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Men's Jumpers: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying men's suits
To find the perfect jumper, you should think about a few factors. Not every jumper suits every wearer. Different styles, sizes and other factors make choosing a jumper a very individual decision.
To make it a little easier for you to make this decision, we have compiled the most important buying criteria for men's jumpers. These are the following buying criteria:
- Sleeve length
The criteria should help you define your taste and thus find the perfect jumper.
The colour of men's jumpers depends mainly on your personal taste, of course. The colour selection is very diverse and so there is something for most people.
The more classic colours for men's jumpers are either greys or other more muted colours, such as dark blue. However, you don't have to limit yourself to these colours, you can make your jumper an it-piece with an intense colour.
Not all men's jumpers are the same. They come in a wide variety of styles. The question here is whether the jumper should be more classic or sporty.
Sporty men's jumpers are very popular. Whether functional or for a sporty look: the selection is large. The classic among sports jumpers is the hooded sweatshirt.
Knitted jumpers usually have rather classic cuts in different thicknesses. They are versatile, considered chic and can be combined well with shirts.
The length of the sleeves plays a big role when buying a men's jumper. On the one hand, there is the question of whether the jumper should have sleeves at all, or whether a vest-like pollunder is not what you are looking for.
With long sleeves, it is of course important that they are not too long or too short. The sleeve length of jumpers usually depends on the size, which is determined from body height and chest circumference and does not include the sleeve length in the first place.
In these standard sizes, however, the sleeve length does not always fit, which is quickly noticed in a negative way, especially with more elegant jumpers. In this case, you should have the jumper tailored or have sleeves that are too long shortened.
The materials from which men's jumpers are made vary greatly. Especially if you have sensitive skin, it is essential to know the material before buying. The material used can have a significant impact on the price.
Wool jumpers are very popular. They are made of natural fibres, for example from sheep or cashmere goats. Since cashmere wool is very expensive, jumpers are usually only partially made of cashmere. So before buying, look at what percentage cashmere wool the jumper actually contains.
The usually cheaper products are made of cotton or synthetic fibres. Depending on the functionality, this is also an advantage. Cotton is not as warm as wool and is therefore also suitable for somewhat warmer days. Synthetic fibres are often popular in sports because they have the right properties.
The cut is an essential indicator of style. However, it is not only important for the style, but also emphasises the body differently. The question here is how close the jumper should fit the body.
A slim-fit jumper fits close to the body and accentuates it strongly. Regular-fit jumpers are a little wider and fit comfortably on the body. If you want it to be a little wider, a relaxed-fit pullover is the right choice.
Another aspect of the cut is the neckline. A round neckline looks a little more informal. V-necks, on the other hand, are considered more formal and can be worn with a shirt and tie in subtle colours in a professional setting. The turtleneck is also very fashionable again. It is a stylish option for particularly cold days.
Jumpers for men: The most important questions answered
Men's jumpers are very versatile and can be styled in many ways. Below we answer the most important questions about men's jumpers.
What styles of jumpers are available?
The styles of men's jumpers are many and varied. Below we give you an overview of the most popular men's jumper styles:
- Sweatshirts: This type of men's jumper is a very casual jumper. This jumper is perfect for leisure time. It looks casual and is always a safe style. The sweatshirt has long since ceased to be just for sports and has become a generally accepted piece of clothing.
- Hooded sweatshirts: Hooded sweatshirts are a form of the sweatshirt. They are still a bit more casual than sweatshirts without a hood and not yet quite as established as everyday clothing. However, they are comfortable uncomplicated clothing for sports, at home or for informal occasions.
- Fleece jumpers: For those who prefer a sporty look, fleece jumpers are the perfect choice. Besides the sporty look, they are unbeatable in their functionality. They keep you warm and are ideal for outdoor activities.
- Knitted jumpers: The slightly more formal and chic version of men's jumpers are knitted jumpers. They not only keep you warm, but also give you an elegant look. A distinction can be made between finely knitted jumpers, which are usually worn over shirts, and coarsely knitted jumpers, which are often statement pieces and are made to a high standard.
So which jumper is best for you depends mainly on the occasion you want to wear it for.
How can I tell if my jumper fits well?
It's easy to tell if a jumper fits well at the shoulders by looking at the position of the shoulder seam. For sweatshirts, this should be directly on the shoulder bone. If it is too close to the head, the sleeves may cut uncomfortably into the skin under the armpit. If the seam is too wide on the upper arm, the jumper looks much too big and makes visually smaller shoulders, which is rather unflattering for many men.
The sleeves of a jumper should end directly at the wrist. If a sweatshirt has a waistband at the end of the sleeves, it should not be too tight so as not to cut into the skin.
On the hips, the jumper should not be too loose, but only give up to 6 cm of extra room. Otherwise the jumper will quickly become bulky. Of course, this also depends on the cut of the jumper.
The length of the jumper should end slightly below the waistband, if possible in the middle of the zipper of the trousers. This way, depending on the style, it can be worn inside or over the trousers without bulging or exposing the belly. With some statement jumpers, it can also be a little longer.
How do I care for my jumper?
Cotton jumpers can be washed at 40 °C without any problems. It's best to hang jumpers upside down to dry. Wool jumpers, in particular, should be washed at 30 °C.
Wool is very high-maintenance and there are a few things you should pay attention to. It is best to use a special wool detergent and no fabric softeners. Don't make the washing drum too full and use a low spin cycle.
To dry, place the jumper on a towel, which will draw the wetness out of the jumper. For storage, place the jumper loosely in the cupboard. If the woollen jumper hangs on a hanger, it may become misshapen.
What occasions are jumpers suitable for?
Men's jumpers are suitable for all kinds of occasions. Depending on the style of the jumper, they can be used in different ways.
Sweatshirts are comfortable everyday wear that are convenient for home or uncomplicated occasions. They are also a practical garment for sports.
For more formal occasions, knitted jumpers are the perfect choice. Whether for professional or private meetings, a well-styled jumper is the optimal solution.
Styling tips for jumpers: How to achieve the perfect jumper look
Men's jumpers can be styled in a variety of ways. Depending on the occasion, they can be styled in different ways. Here we give you a few tips for the perfectly styled jumper:
- The classic: A jumper over a shirt is the classic styling of men's jumpers. This variation is more formal than a sweatshirt and more informal than a suit. In terms of colour, you should remain rather discreet with this styling. A white or light blue shirt and a jumper in a muted colour are ideal here. Of course, the colours should be coordinated. The jumper can be finely knitted or have a discreet pattern (e.g. braided).
- Striking style: A men's jumper does not always have to be styled discreetly and formally. More and more often, there are flashier models to buy with bolder patterns, fits or other special features. These jumpers are the highlight of your styling. They need to be cleverly combined to achieve their effect. It is difficult to give a general guideline for this, as these jumpers are always very different.
For your perfect jumper, you should pay attention to the cut, the style and the matching sizes and colours. Depending on the style of the jumper, it can be combined differently and is suitable for different occasions.
Sweatshirts are perfect for everyday wear, while knitted jumpers are formal and chic. With the right care, wool jumpers also stay beautiful for a long time. Jumpers can either be combined discreetly, for example with a shirt, or styled as an it-piece. However you choose to wear your jumper, it is an absolute must in every wardrobe, especially in the cold season.
(Image source: Hunter Newton / Unsplash)