If a man wants to look well styled and fashionable in summer, he doesn't have to be drenched in sweat. For over 1000 years, the linen shirt has been the perfect companion for men in summer, but even in winter you don't want to miss the airy yet warm fabric. With a linen shirt, every man stands out from the crowd. Add something casual and summery to your look.
The linen shirt for men is very popular with many people. And rightly so! Linen is not only a very sustainable material, but it is especially breathable. So you can protect yourself well from the sun in summer without getting drenched in sweat. A dream of a shirt!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Mens Linen Shirt: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What you should look for when buying men's linen shirts
- 4 Men's linen shirt: the most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for men's linen shirts: How to achieve the perfect suit look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Mens Linen Shirt: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What you should look for when buying men's linen shirts
A men's linen shirt definitely deserves a place in your wardrobe. To find the right men's linen shirt for you, there are a few guidelines you can follow.
These are the following buying criteria:
If you think about what you want beforehand, you can hardly go wrong. You will always benefit from a linen shirt for men.
The men's linen shirt has found its place and offers itself to lucky shoppers in all kinds of styles, colours and patterns. This ensures that you don't have to go without your new favourite shirt for almost any occasion.
For working or walking in the sun, we recommend picking up a long-sleeved linen shirt for men that doesn't have a large neckline. When you are physically active in the sun, you often don't realise how much you are burning. Therefore, make sure to cover a large area of your body. For other leisure activities, short-sleeved shirts may be more advantageous. Always make sure to protect yourself sufficiently from UV radiation.
If it's time for a more festive occasion and you don't want to miss out on the airy fabric at a wedding in the warm under any circumstances, there is good news. Because linen shirts are also available in classic and elegant cuts for men. Visually, it hardly differs from a conventional shirt, but it can do so much more!
The linen shirt for men is, who would have thought it, made of linen. Nevertheless, you should pay attention to the composition. Half-linen must consist of at least 40 % linen. The remaining part should be cotton. Some manufacturers like to cut corners and mix in synthetic fibres. Mixing it with cotton makes the shirt a little thinner and lighter.
100 % linen, or pure linen, is rather coarse and firm at the beginning. With washing, it becomes finer. However, if you want this from the beginning, you can also go for a blend. Make sure that the synthetic fibre content is as low as possible. This is more comfortable on the skin and prevents you from sweating too much.
Additionally, linen is a product that is often sustainably produced and offered in organic quality. If you have decided to buy a men's linen shirt, look for the organic or fair trade seal when you buy it. This way you will benefit from your new shirt and leave a smaller ecological footprint.
To ensure that the linen shirt for men really fits for every occasion, there are not only different sleeve lengths. The sporty type will be happy with the slim fit cut, which can look elegant, sporty and also festive. Regular and oversize cuts are naturally available from well-stocked suppliers.
While a figure-hugging, tighter cut can also be used on festive occasions or in the office, a fit that is as loose as possible is particularly comfortable to wear on summer holidays. This ensures maximum ventilation and sun protection at the same time. It also adds just the right touch of sea and sailing feeling to your outfit.
You can create your look individually with small details.
- A stand-up collar: makes the look suitable for the office and everyday life.
- Hood, pockets and button placket: Looking for an element for a vintage or retro look? These details can turn the look of a men's linen shirt 180 degrees.
- Laces: If you're a medieval or Viking fan, lacing at the neckline and sleeves is your go-to element on a men's linen shirt.
- Ruffle details: Create antique looks with a linen shirt for men that has ruffle details on the sleeves and/or chest.
- Collarless: A collarless shirt with a button placket is a popular combination for traditional costumes.
Make sure that the details are not too many. This way you avoid the look looking exaggerated and "fake".
Men's linen shirt: the most important questions answered
Men all over the world love the linen shirt. You can hardly go wrong, actually. Nevertheless, some questions come up when you look into the subject a little more. We have answered the most important ones for you here.
In which styles are linen shirts for men available?
- Classic linen shirt for men: A shirt with a classic cut that looks hardly any different from a conventional shirt. Especially in summer, the classic linen shirt is often worn in the office.
- Elegant linen shirt for men: There are also chic shirts for weddings that are made of linen or a linen blend instead of conventional cotton blends. This way, you won't sweat during a wedding in the warm.
- Casuallinen shirt for men: For other occasions and leisure activities, a casual men's linen shirt is a good choice. With or without a collar, with long or short sleeves, roll-up or with lace-up details to feel like you're in Italy. You can customise your men's linen shirt to suit your taste and activity. It will always protect you from UV rays and keep you cool.
- Themed linen shirt for men: Small details on the linen shirt for men create looks from different ages and themes. Vikings, the Middle Ages and even antique outfits are given the desired touch. You can also enhance your traditional costume with a men's linen shirt.
There is something for every taste and occasion. It doesn't hurt to have several linen shirts for men in your wardrobe.
What are the properties of a men's linen shirt?
- Breathable: Linen is particularly airy and comfortable to wear.
- Uncomplicated: The somewhat coarser surface simply repels dirt. Annoying knots do not form here.
- Feel: Super light, soft and comfortable to wear with a Mediterranean flair.
- Quality: Linen has a high quality and is easy to care for. Undyed natural linen can be washed at temperatures up to 95 degrees.
- Sustainability: Linen is made from flax fibres. The use of natural fibres makes the garment very sustainable.
- Look: Linen gives your outfit a natural look. Light pastel shades are wonderfully summery and attract the sun's heat less. Darker shades are most prevalent in themed linen shirts for men.
Anyone who thinks that men's linen shirts are only something for hippies is completely wrong. The wide range of colours, shapes and patterns has the right favourite shirt for every type and every occasion.
Can I iron my linen shirt for men?
If the linen is heavily creased, it is best to iron the shirt when it is still slightly damp. This is the quickest way to get rid of the unwanted creases.
How do I clean my men's linen shirt properly?
Linen absorbs a lot of water, which is why you should not put the linen shirt for men into a wash cycle that is too full. You should also avoid spinning linen at high speed, as it will crease badly.
After washing, you should avoid tumble drying and hang the shirt as smoothly as possible.
Styling tips for men's linen shirts: How to achieve the perfect suit look
Linen shirts for men are wonderfully uncomplicated. Follow the tips below and nothing can go wrong.
- Summery: On summer holidays, simply combine the linen shirt for men with your favourite shorts. Bermudas, jeans or chinos are entirely up to you. Straw hats are allowed.
- Professional: In the office, replace the hat with a brown belt. In summer, score points with a men's linen shirt with a stand-up collar, chinos or jeans and leather shoes or sneakers that match the belt. It's best to avoid details such as lacing.
- Casual/smart: Beige espadrilles or canvas, dark blue chinos and a white men's linen shirt. You're already styled to enjoy your aperitif in summer.
- Footwear: As the linen shirt for men quickly makes us think of the sea and sailing, boat shoes are also welcome in the combination.
- Accessories: If you like to wear something with a little more neckline, you can also add an accent to your outfit with a discreet necklace.
Overdoing it is a no-go. Decide on a style and pick the right detail. Less is more!
We couldn't wish for a better garment. Especially in summer, you don't want to miss the men's linen shirt. It has definitely earned its place in the wardrobe. Sporty, casual, airy and sustainable at the same time. There is actually no occasion on which you can't score points with a linen shirt for men.
Combined correctly, you can bring different moods into your look. And you don't need to be a fashion expert to do it. Just follow our styling tips and of course the care instructions. This way, you will be happy and satisfied with your new men's linen shirt for a long time.
Image source: Taisiia Shestopal / Unsplash