Jewellery and especially chains have long been a frequently seen accessory, and not only on women. A noble watch, a fashionable bracelet but also a chain are now more and more common companions of every stylish outfit for men. Whether simple, with a pendant or double-layered, the selection of men's necklaces is huge, so you are guaranteed to find your new favourite piece.
In contrast to models for women, men's necklaces are more robust and often have a cool and casual design. Whether for the office, for leisure or for an elegant occasion, men's necklaces come in different models to perfect your very individual look. Your men's necklace can thus help you to underline your style.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Necklace: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What you should look for when buying necklaces for men
- 4 Men's necklaces: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for men's necklaces: How to create the perfect look with this fashionable accessory
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Men's Necklace: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What you should look for when buying necklaces for men
Due to the large selection of different models, it is difficult to keep track of them all. We have summarised important points of reference and buying criteria for you here to make it easier for you to buy your new favourite necklace.
These are the following buying criteria:
In the next section, we will explain in detail what is important in each criterion.
One of the most important criteria is the material of the men's necklace. From stainless steel to leather but also cheap goods can be found on the market. The material is probably the biggest difference in necklaces for men.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel is one of the most versatile materials here. It is insensitive and durable, even if it has been in the cupboard for a long time, it looks like new. Unlike silver jewellery, stainless steel does not tarnish.
- Silver and gold: Gold and silver are the highest quality materials used for fashion jewellery. Therefore, the materials also require careful care. The materials are long-lasting and robust, but on the other hand look very fine and noble.
- Leather: Leather is one of the oldest natural materials used for fashion, accessories and jewellery. Leather is considered timeless and is becoming more and more popular. Leather jewellery often adds a casual touch to the look and is often associated with surfers.
The colour of the men's necklace is also a decisive criterion for the purchase. Do you want a colourful eye-catcher, a plain grey, noble golden or a brown leather chain. What colour should the pendant be? Should it match the chain or should it have an eye-catching colour or pattern?
In order to create a successful outfit, you should pay particular attention to metals so that they also match other accessories such as your watch or rings. Don't mix too many metals or colours. There is a perfect men's necklace in your favourite colour for every taste.
Finding the perfect men's necklace for men is all about length. You should think about whether you want a long chain, a short one that goes in the direction of a choker or a medium-length men's chain. Your own style can often help with this decision. What clothes do you often wear and what do you want to wear your new men's necklace with?
The standard chain length is 55 cm, which is about the collarbone for most men. However, there are also narrower models that start at 10cm, the longer models start at 60cm.
Men's necklaces: The most important questions answered
We have summarised and answered the most important questions about men's necklaces in the following section.
What types of men's necklaces are there?
Casual, cool or the fine and elegant variant, there is a wide range of different models for men's necklaces. We have summarised an overview of the different styles of necklaces for men.
- Linkchains: Link chains are available in a wide variety of models and are also probably the most common model. They consist of the individual parts, interlocking rings, which are carefully put together. Therefore, link chains come in a wide variety of designs. From long chains or multi-row models to very fine link chains or super large individual links. There is something for everyone here.
- Stainless steel chains: Stainless steel is the most versatile metal among chains. Whether a plain variant, one with a pendant to amulets or purist link chains. Stainless steel chains are therefore suitable for every look.
- Silver or gold chains: Silver and gold chains are the fine and elegant variety. Mostly, these types of men's necklaces come with pendants. There is a difference in silver jewellery between the costume jewellery of sterling silver, such as the 925 sterling silver, and the more expensive genuine jewellery. With real jewellery, look out for the small numbers on the clasp, these give certainty that it is real silver or gold jewellery.
- King chains: If you want a plain chain, you should not opt for this type. King necklaces are often considered chavvy. The eye-catching design is characterised by the interwoven links of the chain. A guaranteed eye-catcher.
- Dog tag chains: This style of necklace is reminiscent of the typical military dog tag necklaces. From the battlefield of the American Civil War, this chain has made a place for itself in the fashion industry. The pendants can make a statement. Often this chain is engraved with very personal details, creating your own personal keepsake.
- Leather necklaces: Leather necklaces offer a casual and cool alternative to liven up your look. Leather jewellery is often associated with surfers and water sports enthusiasts.
Whether it's the fine gold chain, the eye-catching king chain or the casual leather chain, the choice is huge, so there's guaranteed to be something for every look and style.
Aren't chains for women?
We want to get rid of this cliché very quickly. When the word chain is mentioned, it doesn't have to be associated with your grandmother's pearl necklace or a friend's sparkling diamond necklace. Chains for men are available in a wide range of models and styles. So you can find the very special it-piece for every look to tell your story.
How can I care for my men's necklace?
Men's necklaces, like other jewellery, require a certain amount of care. Don't worry, it's really easy and uncomplicated. We have listed a few tips for you here.
- To avoid dust and dirt, there is an easy option to keep the chains clean. With lukewarm water and a mild detergent, your chain will stay clean and shine like new. A soft toothbrush is best for this, to get into small notches.
- For leather chains, we recommend a soft brush and a little cleaning foam. In addition, we recommend treating the leather with a leather care product from time to time to ensure that the leather remains supple.
- Stainless steel can be cleaned with a mild soap solution and then polished with a microfibre cloth.
In general, we recommend that you store your jewellery in a dust-proof and light-protected place. Ordinary jewellery boxes are best suited for this purpose. Jewellery box. This is especially important for silver jewellery, which should be protected from oxidation.
Styling tips for men's necklaces: How to create the perfect look with this fashionable accessory
But how can you show off your new men's necklace in the right way? We have put together a little guide with a few tips for styling your look.
- In general, V-neck shirts are a good way to show off your men's necklace.
- Golden chains look best on a white or black background, such as a T-shirt.
- Leather chains, on the other hand, can add a casual and cool touch to an everyday look of jeans and a T-shirt and liven up the outfit.
- Stainless steel as well as silver-coloured necklaces are often seen as cool and elegant and go ideally with a chic evening look or a fine shirt.
- Chains with large pendants such as the dog tag chains or king chains are the opposite of plain and therefore very eye-catching and always a special eye-catcher in monotonous outfits.
The time of functional outfits has come to an end and the demand for decorative jewellery for men such as bracelets, earrings, rings but especially necklaces is steadily increasing. A simple wristwatch or wedding ring is no longer enough. A men's necklace underlines styling, character and expresses individuality.
Let your chain be more than just costume jewellery. Your men's necklace can be much more than just a trendy fashion accessory. Choose a chain that tells your story and give your outfit that certain something.
Sources: Unsplash & 123rf