The polo shirt for men is an absolute classic and a must in every man's wardrobe. The popular garment has its origins in India, in the polo sport of the 20th century. It became really famous through the French tennis player René Lacoste, who also created the classic crocodile print on many men's polo shirts.
Today, the men's polo shirt is a clever cross between a T-shirt and a shirt and convinces with its versatility and different styles for both smart, casual and sporty occasions. Decisive for the perfect appearance with the men's polo shirt is the right fit, an authentic material and the style-conscious combination with the rest of your outfit.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying polo shirts
- 4 Polo shirts for men: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for men's polo shirts: How to achieve the perfect men's polo shirt look
- 6 Conclusion
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying polo shirts
Although the polo shirt for men is considered an all-rounder, there are different variations and fits of this garment. Every taste is different and especially with a polo shirt that ideally suits you, you are guaranteed to appear confident and elegant at your next meeting.
To achieve this, there are a few points to consider when purchasing a men's polo shirt.
These are the following buying criteria:
Below we explain what exactly matters in each category.
The original and still most popular material of polo shirts for men is "piqué", a robust and at the same time both breathable and light cotton fabric. It is a so-called double weave, as its structure is created by weaving two layers together.
Men's polo shirts made of jersey are also a stylish alternative. Unlike piqué, jersey is softer and more elastic and is made from different blends of yarns, viscose or cotton.
Finally, there are also men's polo shirts made of 100% polyester. These garments are almost exclusively functional, i.e. suitable for sports or other more strenuous activities. They impress with breathable fibres or "cool-dry" technology, which dries sweat extra quickly.
The men's polo shirt should not be too loose but also not too tight on the body. A guide, for example, is that there should be about a finger's width of space between the sleeve and the bicep. This way, your freedom of movement is not restricted, but your arms are still shown off to their best advantage. Such regular fit polo shirts for men flatter both thin and slightly rounder figures. However, it is important not to tuck the polo shirt into your trousers but to let it fall loosely.
For men with an athletic build, so-called slim-fit polo shirts for men are also a good option. The elastic material of these polo shirts hugs the body and hugs the contours of the body.
Polo shirts for men come in a wide variety of colours and patterns. You can choose between plain or striped polo shirts. In addition, there are men's polo shirts with a logo print, which can also be customised, for example for a sports club.
For plain-coloured models, the classics black and white are particularly popular. But rich colours like red, sea blue or yellow are also in demand and give your outfit freshness and individuality.
Striped polo shirts for men have also become established, whereby these are usually vertical stripes. These models are especially popular with jeans.
In general, you should bear in mind that a thicker fabric in men's polo shirts usually goes hand in hand with a higher quality.
However, especially for sporty use, you can confidently opt for thinner models.
You can usually do little wrong with a men's polo shirt. However, if the seams or button placket are not sufficiently well finished, the desired effect can quickly evaporate.
Make sure that the buttons are sewn on extra durable and are unbreakable. The seams should definitely be double-stitched so that they do not come loose and your men's polo shirt retains its clean and stylish look for a long time.
Polo shirts for men: The most important questions answered
To give you an even better orientation for making the right purchase decision, we will clarify the most important questions about polo shirts below.
In which styles are polo shirts for men available?
- Shortsleeve men's polo shirts: This is the classic version of the polo shirt for men. It has short sleeves and the usual features of collar and button placket.
- Long-sleeved men's polo shirts: Originally, men's polo shirts were used for sports and therefore had to be light and short-sleeved. However, as the shirts are nowadays also used for many occasions outside of sport, a version with long sleeves has now also become popular. This type of men's polo shirt also convinces with a chic as well as casual look. The advantage is, of course, the additional warmth and the fact that for some occasions (e.g. business events) long-sleeved clothing is more appropriate.
- Men's polo shirts with breast pocket: The small breast pocket on the left or right side of this model does not really offer much space or benefit. Nevertheless, many polo shirt wearers appreciate this extra accessory on their garment.
- Sporty men's polo shirts: Sporty men's polo shirts are usually short-sleeved and impress with breathable material and a light fit. Whether you're playing tennis, horseback riding, or another favourite sport, a sporty men's polo shirt will help you deliver your best performance in style!
- Men's polo shirts without collar: This version of the men's polo shirt has the classic button placket, but it lacks the stand-up collar typical of the polo shirt. Some men find this look more visually appealing and it also has the advantage of making it easier to pull a thin jumper or similar over the shirt.
With these choices, there is something for everyone! If in doubt, it is worth trying on a few different models to become more aware of your own preferences.
With what do I combine my men's polo shirt?
For a more relaxed and casual appearance, the men's polo shirt can be combined with jeans, a loose jacket and sneakers. The collar can also be left open for this casual look.
If you prefer something more chic or want to wear the men's polo shirt to the office or meetings, you can combine it with dark jeans or suit trousers and a smart blazer. You can also wear patent leather or leather shoes with it. With this you should fulfil the often demanded dress code "smart casual" in the best sense!
How do I care for and clean my polo shirt?
- Washing: Most polo shirts for men clean well in the machine at 40 degrees. This temperature is especially important for cotton shirts, as this material does not tolerate higher temperatures. For sports polo shirts made of polyester or spandex, you can usually use a hotter wash cycle. However, it is always worth taking a look at the care label.
- Drying: It is impossible to generalise whether you prefer to dry your men's polo shirt in the dryer or on a washing rack. It always depends on the material and the finish.
- Ironing: Here, the collar should be treated last and most intensively, because a straight collar is essential for a good appearance of your shirt.
If you keep these things in mind, your polo shirts will be faithful companions.
For what occasions do I wear a men's polo shirt?
In general, for dressier occasions, you should look for a fine and high-quality material and use thinner men's polo shirts made of polyester or similar exclusively for sporty purposes.
Styling tips for men's polo shirts: How to achieve the perfect men's polo shirt look
If you benefit from a very athletic figure, you can tuck the men's polo shirt into your trousers. However, we usually recommend letting it fall loosely over your trousers. This looks more casual anyway and flatters pretty much any figure.
Since the fabric of men's polo shirts, especially the slim fit, advantageously hugs the body, you should make sure not to wear anything under the shirt. This is also important because it doesn't look stylish if you can see the prints of other garments through your polo shirt.
As always, there are of course different tastes, but most people agree that the collar of a men's polo shirt should never be turned up.
If you want to add some variety to your men's polo shirt look, we recommend going for style breaks. For example, small coloured details or contrasts on the collar, button placket or chest pocket can make for a more interesting overall look.
In summary, a men's polo shirt belongs in every man's wardrobe and, properly selected and combined, provides both a chic and a sporty-casual look.
With a men's polo shirt, you are guaranteed to cut a fine figure at your next meeting, sporting event or date! For dressier occasions, however, you should pay attention to the high quality of the men's polo shirt.
(Source of article image: unsplash.com/ Daoudi Aissa)