Men's shirts are a must in every wardrobe. Whether as a simple plain T-shirt or with an unusual cut and design, the selection of different types for men's shirts is huge. Given the colour, fabric or collar, there is something for every taste.
Men's shirts can be worn casually in everyday life as well as smartly for going out. Whether with short sleeves in the summer or long ones in the winter, with shirts you can equip yourself for every season. The fabric is pleasant on the skin and does not scratch.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Shirts: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What you should look out for when buying men's shirts
- 4 Men's shirts: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for men's shirts: How to achieve the perfect look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Men's Shirts: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What you should look out for when buying men's shirts
In order to keep track of the gigantic selection of men's shirts and to make it easier for you to choose when buying, here are some buying criteria to guide you.
These are the following buying criteria:
In the following sections you will get a more detailed insight into what is important in the individual criteria.
Shirts are usually made of a lightweight jersey material that is soft against the skin. Jersey fabric can be made of cotton, viscose, polyester or a mixture and is particularly elastic. This means that a men's shirt not only fits particularly well, but is also very easy to care for.
Men's shirts made of linen fabric are also particularly popular. Unlike shirts made of cotton, tops made of linen can be washed at very high temperatures. In addition, the production is often more environmentally friendly.
Sweatshirts are usually made of pure cotton, although the material is often softly lined on the inside. The fabric from which polo shirts are made is also made of cotton. However, the cotton here is structured like a fine waffle pattern. This gives the fabric of the polo shirt a dense and stable structure.
Shirts for men come with all kinds of sleeve lengths, from tank tops to long-sleeved shirts. The most popular is the classic T-shirt, where the sleeves usually go to the middle of the upper arm.
In most cases, shirts have a straight hem. However, there are also models that are rounded at the front and back.
Men's shirts go approximately to the crotch in terms of length. At this length, shirts can easily be tucked into trousers without slipping out or simply worn over the waistband.
A classic T-shirt has a round neckline. This style can be combined in many ways and suits every figure. Besides the round-neck shirt, another classic style is the V-neck. This is not only popular for T-shirts, but also for long-sleeved shirts and jumpers.
A polo shirt is characterised by a ribbed collar and a button placket at the neckline. Similar to the polo shirt, a henley shirt has a short button placket at the neckline, but no collar.
Almost every online retailer differentiates between sizes XS, S, M, L and XL. In some online shops, extra small and extra large sizes are also available.
Depending on the brand, there may be differences in the sizes. So if one brand fits you in size M, this does not necessarily mean that this is the case for all brands. For this reason, it is advisable to orientate yourself on the sizes of the respective manufacturers.
We will explain how to find the right size in a men's shirt in a later section.
The selection of sustainable shirts for men is increasing. In these shirts, the fabrics are produced fairly, i.e. the shirts are produced in an environmentally friendly way and under fair working conditions.
For example, shirts are made from certified organic cotton or linen. Both the cultivation of the cotton and the production in a factory should be as environmentally friendly as possible.
As a rule, sustainable shirts are of very good quality, because the manufacturers make sure that the shirts do not end up in the rubbish after just a few washes.
Men's shirts: The most important questions answered
With the huge selection of men's shirts, it can be difficult to find the right shirt for you and make a purchase decision. For this reason, we have answered the most important questions about men's shirts for you.
In which styles are men's shirts available?
In the following, we present five different styles of men's shirts. The shirts are suitable for different occasions and seasons.
- T-shirts: The shirts with the short sleeves in the typical T-shape are available in many different cuts and designs. T-shirts are versatile and an essential part of any wardrobe.
- Polo shirts: A polo shirt is characterised by a ribbed collar and usually an elastic waistband on the sleeve. This men's shirt can be combined both casually and smartly.
- Tank tops: As a sleeveless top, a tank top provides airy comfort both in high temperatures in summer and during sports. Particularly tight-fitting models tone the muscles. A plain white tank top is also ideal as a vest.
- Long-sleeved shirts: A shirt with long sleeves is particularly suitable for colder days. A long-sleeved shirt can be worn as a layered look with a cardigan, for example, or on its own.
- Sweatshirts: A sweatshirt also has long sleeves, but the fabric is much thicker. On the inside, a sweatshirt often has a fluffy lining. A sweatshirt with a hood is called a hoodie.
If you are unsure which style suits you, it is advisable to try on each model once. Especially when it comes to shirts, there is no reason why you shouldn't have a shirt of every style in your wardrobe. This way you have a versatile choice and are prepared for any weather.
How do I find the right size in a men's shirt?
Depending on the cut, a shirt sits differently. While a slim-fit T-shirt or tank top fits very tightly and accentuates the muscles, a regular-fit T-shirt, polo shirt or sweatshirt should sit comfortably loose.
Size charts can help you find the right size. For some size charts, you only need your height and chest circumference. For others, you can find the right size with your chest, waist and hip circumference.
To find out the exact shirt size, you should wear light clothing. It is best to measure very close to the body, but the tape measure should not constrict. When measuring your height, make sure you are not wearing shoes. Measure the circumference of the chest and hips horizontally with the tape measure at the widest part of the chest or buttocks.
How do I care for and clean my men's shirts?
To ensure that your shirts stay with you for a long time and don't break in the wash, we have put together some cleaning tips for you.
- Before washing: You should sort your shirts by colour. This way, the colour is preserved for a long time without discolouring. White T-shirts in particular can only be washed with white laundry. Shirts with a print are best turned inside out before washing.
- Cotton shirts: Shirts made from cotton and synthetic fibres should be washed in the washing machine at 40 °C. Cotton shirts can be put in the dryer without any problems.
- Other fabrics: For shirts with a viscose or wool content, it is important that you choose a gentle washing programme, such as for wool, and do not use the dryer.
- Sports shirts: For sports shirts with breathable fibres, you should avoid using fabric softener, as this causes the fibres to stick together.
With these tips, everyone should be able to clean shirts properly. In addition, you can check the manufacturer's care instructions on the label.
How many shirts do I need?
On average, a German has between 11 and 20 tops. The question of how many shirts a man really needs is of course very subjective, but there are some methods that can help you to know approximately how many shirts you need.
For example, you can determine how many shirts you need by how often you do your laundry. If you wash once a week and wear a new shirt every day on a workday, but wear three shirts a day on the weekend, you will need about 11 shirts. If you don't change shirts so often at the weekend and wear only one shirt every day of the week, 7 shirts may be enough. Nevertheless, it makes sense to have 1 to 3 shirts as a buffer.
If you don't want to wear the same shirts every week, it's a good idea to have some basic T-shirts and some shirts with patterns or eye-catching prints in your wardrobe. This way you have enough choice and don't get tired of the tops too quickly.
Styling tips for men's shirts: How to achieve the perfect look
A white T-shirt is an all-rounder in your wardrobe and can be used in many different ways. Combined with blue jeans and a leather jacket, you can create a casual yet eye-catching outfit. However, a white shirt can also be optimally combined with chinos and a denim jacket.
For dressier occasions, you can combine a pair of chinos with a polo shirt. On colder days, you can wear a knitted pullover over it. The collar of the polo shirt then serves as a little eye-catcher.
If you don't feel like wearing a shirt but still don't want to be underdressed, you can combine a V-neck T-shirt with a jacket. The outfit looks stylish but relaxed at the same time.
Men's shirts are an absolute all-rounder and belong in every wardrobe. Due to the great variety of different styles, colours and designs, the most diverse looks can be created. The soft jersey fabric is pleasant on the skin and easy to clean.
Whether in your free time in the park or at work in the office, shirts can be combined casually as well as stylishly and chicly. In addition, men's shirts are excellent for a layered look, combined with a knitted jumper or a cool leather jacket. It shouldn't be hard to find the right style for every taste.
Contributed image: unsplash.com / Priscilla Du Preez