Even Charlie Chaplin said that you can tell a person's worries by their worn-out shoes. We want to take away your worries, even if it is only the worry about the right footwear at first.
Men's loafers, also known as loafers, slip-ons or knickers, have been an integral part of any dapper man's shoe rack since they were first made in 1910. But their increased popularity also brings problems. Because now you have to find the right men's loafer for you among the multitude of manufacturers and products. In our guide, we would like to tell you about all the points you need to know to find the right pair of loafers for you.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Mens Slippers: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying loafers for men
- 4 Loafers for men: The most important questions answered
- 5 Conclusion
The Best Mens Slippers: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying loafers for men
You have decided that loafers are the right shoe for you, but which one is the right loafer for you? When buying the right loafer for men, there are a number of things to look out for to ensure that the pair not only suits you stylishly, but also fits you properly in the truest sense of the word. The material and many other factors should also be considered before you make the purchase so that you don't regret anything later.
These are the buying criteria you should pay special attention to:
- Size and width
- Cut models
- Style elements
Now we would like to explain the importance and details of the respective purchase criteria in a little more detail in the following sections.
Slippers can be made from a wide variety of materials. These materials have different properties. To know if your loafers are made of the right material for you, we list all the materials and their properties below.
- Leather: Whether in suede, calfskin, suede or deerskin. The leather loafer makes a firm, solid and masculine impression. This impression is due not least to the material properties of leather. Because leather is water-repellent, friction-resistant, permeable to water vapour, heat-resistant and protects against rapid wear.
- Cotton: Cotton, the go-to textile, should not be missing here either. Men's slippers made of cotton offer several advantages. Among other things, they are heat-insulating, breathable, not particularly susceptible to dirt, offer good elasticity and another important point is that the material from which they are made is a renewable resource. So you are not only doing something good for your feet, but also for your conscience.
- Linen: If textile materials like cotton can be used, it is obvious that linen is also used in the production of men's loafers. Linen loafers for men are particularly suitable in summer, as they are airy and therefore pleasantly cool. In addition, linen fabric is also very stable, not particularly susceptible to dirt, easy to care for, skin-friendly and also a renewable raw material.
- Polyacrylic: In many cases, the warm lining of men's loafers is made of polyacrylic. Men's loafers made of this material are best worn in winter. Polyacrylic is known for being warm, soft and easy to care for.
Now that you know a bit about the most common types of materials for men's loafers, it is up to you to choose a fabric that has the properties you want for your loafers.
Size, width and width
We usually know exactly what shoe size we have. This is of course important, not only to counteract a pleasant wearing comfort, but also to avoid injuries to our feet, for example at the toes and the heel.
What is often ignored, however, is the width of our feet. This also plays an enormously important role in wearing comfort. The shoe width is indicated by the letters F, G, H, K and M. While F indicates the narrowest width, M indicates the widest width. Measure your shoe width by standing and using a tape measure to measure the widest part of your foot. Now use this measurement to find the loafer for men that best fits the length and width of your foot.
With different cut models, you can further adapt your desired men's loafer to your needs. There is something for almost every foot. If you want to be able to slip into the slipper more easily, there are models where the slipper is open at the back, so you don't have to deal with the hassle of a stuck lace. If you have a high instep, as is often the case with dancers, for example, there is also a suitable model for you in the form of a men's loafer with a high instep.
Even if you suffer from sweaty feet, you don't have to do without elegant slippers, because many men's slippers are also available perforated, i.e. with holes that allow air to circulate. If you attach great importance to extra height, men's loafers won't leave you alone here either. Many loafers for men also have a high heel, which allows you to add a few centimetres to your height.
If you like to stand out a bit, men's loafers offer different style elements to give you that special something. The most obvious style element is the so-called tassels or pom-poms on the upper part of the men's loafers. These come in a wide variety of designs, allowing you to freely choose the one that suits you best.
There are also men's loafers with lining, as mentioned once in the upper part. Depending on how thick the lining of your men's loafer is, it adds width to the shoe, giving you a sturdy look. You can also see the lining on some lined loafers for men, which makes everyone immediately aware that you won't get cold feet anytime soon.
If you feel the need to wear your men's loafer more securely on your feet, for example if you are going to be on foot for a longer period of time, there are also models that have an additional Velcro fastener. With this you can be sure that your favourite men's slipper stays where it should be. Securely on your foot.
Loafers for men: The most important questions answered
Now you already know a lot about the topic of men's loafers. But if you still have unanswered questions, please take a closer look at the following section. There we will deal with the most important and most frequently asked questions in detail.
What types of loafers are there for men?
- Slippers: The men's slipper has proven itself as a slipper for a long time. The fact that you can slip into them without too much trouble and that, unlike slippers, they still guarantee a good grip, the constant existence of slippers for men comes as no surprise.
- Clogs: The principle of a slipper also finds its place in the fashion newcomers, the clogs. This type of slipper is particularly popular for its wearing comfort among those who, for example, have to walk a lot at work.
- Espadrilles: This type of men's loafer has also found its way from Spain to Germany. This light summer slip-on shoe is particularly popular in summer. Often woven from hemp or flax, this type of men's loafer is particularly air-permeable and skin-friendly, which means it can also be worn without socks.
- Loafers: The loafer is a classically elegant shoe that you can slip into with ease thanks to the loafer principle without jamming your heels or needing a shoehorn.
- Boat shoes: The slip-on boat shoes for men have long since ceased to belong only on deck. Their unique design and low cut add a summery touch to any outfit, making them an essential for the right summer outfit.
As you can see, the men's loafer finds its place in pretty much all situations and seasons, from a summer outing to a business meeting to the living room.
How can I tell if my men's loafers fit well?
- Shoe size: If you are unsure, measure your shoe size yourself in your own home. Place your foot on a piece of paper and draw closely around it with a pencil. Then measure the distance from the heel to the big toe. If the shoe is too tight, it can quickly become uncomfortable or even painful.
- Shoe width: You should also measure the shoe width according to the principle described above. Simply measure the distance from the widest part of the foot. The width of the foot is often underestimated, which can quickly lead to a crushed foot.
- Instep: If you have a particularly high arch, do yourself a favour and check whether the instep of the men's loafer you want to buy is raised accordingly before buying.
Should you pay attention to these factors, you are assured of a well-fitting men's loafer. A well-fitting men's loafer not only saves an uncomfortable feeling on the foot, but can also counteract posture problems.
How do I care for and clean my men's loafers?
Which socks do I wear with my men's loafers?
As you have now learnt, there are many different types of men's loafers and at least as many things to look out for when choosing the right pair of men's loafers. At the end of our guide, you will now know which loafer suits which event and season and, most importantly, you will now know which loafer suits you best.
A good pair of men's loafers belongs in every shoe rack, no matter whether it's for a walk, a stylish appearance at work or to avoid getting cold feet in your own four walls.
(Image source: mahabis footwear / unsplash.com)