The next hiking or winter holiday is planned, the suitcase is packed and the car is almost loaded. Only the right footwear is still missing. The summer sandals or canvas shoes are already stowed away in the cellar and the slippers are packed away for the sauna evening. A waterproof pair of shoes is what you need. Not only will your feet stay comfortably warm, but also dry.
When the weather is cold and damp during long hikes or a winter walk, normal shoes often cannot withstand the wet weather. They get soaked very quickly, freezing your feet to blocks of ice and significantly lowering your spirits. The right waterproof shoes can add the finishing touch to your holiday.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The best Men's Waterproof Shoes: Our Picks
- 4 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying waterproof shoes for men
- 5 Waterproof shoes for men: The most important questions answered
- 6 Conclusion
The best Men's Waterproof Shoes: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying waterproof shoes for men
Finding the perfect shoe is often not that easy. If they are also supposed to fulfil certain functions, the choice often becomes even more difficult.
The following buying criteria will help you find the perfect waterproof shoes for you:
- Shoe width
The following sections will tell you how to choose the right pair of waterproof shoes.
Men's shoes are usually offered in sizes 40 to 46. However, as the need for larger sizes continues to grow with the coming generations and should not be underestimated, sizes 47 to 52 are also available in many shops. For these styles, there are often special shops that offer shoes in plus sizes.
However, shoe size 42 is most frequently requested by men. In recent years, not only has the demand for larger shoe sizes increased. The width of feet has also grown with the generations, which is why the measurement of shoe width has also been introduced.
You should also pay attention to the shoe width. Feet differ not only in their shoe size, but also in their width.
The shoe width depends on the shoe size. Therefore, you should first know your shoe size and then measure your foot width. This way you can find out which model is right for you.
Generally, a distinction is made between the following shoe widths:
- Slim F (corresponds to a size M)
- Normal G (corresponds to a size L)
- Comfort H (corresponds to a size XL)
- Super-wide J (corresponds to a size XXL)
- Extra Super Wide K (corresponds to a size XXXL)
Here you can read off your individual measurements:
|EU Size||Slim F (M)||Normal G (L)||Comfort H (XL)||Super Wide J (XXL)||Extra Super Wide K (XXXL)|
|40||23.3 cm||23.7 cm||24.2 cm||24.7 cm||25.2 cm|
|41||23.6 cm||24.1 cm||24.6 cm||25.1 cm||25.6 cm|
|42||24.0 cm||24.5 cm||25.0 cm||25.5 cm||26.0 cm|
|43||24,4 cm||24,9 cm||25,4 cm||25,9 cm||26,4 cm|
|44||24,8 cm||25,3 cm||25,8 cm||26,3 cm||26,8 cm|
|45||25,2 cm||25,7 cm||26,2 cm||26,7 cm||27,2 cm|
|46||25,6 cm||26,1 cm||26,6 cm||27,1 cm||27,6 cm|
|47||26,0 cm||26,5 cm||27,0 cm||27,5 cm||28,0 cm|
Once you know your shoe size and the corresponding shoe width, you can ask specifically for the individual shoe width. This can make your shoe purchase much easier! When choosing the optimum shoe width for your waterproof shoes, you should also take into account that you will often wear thicker socks in winter. You should adjust the shoe width accordingly.
The material used for waterproof shoes is particularly important. To ensure that no moisture penetrates the shoe while walking, the material must be as water-repellent as possible and at the same time offer adequate moisture management. The following materials are therefore used particularly frequently:
- Gore-Tex: This fabric is used for the inside of the shoe. It prevents the penetration of water, but at the same time ensures an adequate moisture balance inside the shoe. This keeps your feet dry and protected from external moisture. At the same time, you will not sweat excessively in your waterproof shoe.
- Spo-Tex: A textile with Spo-Tex membranes is often used as the inner material for waterproof shoes. The processing of this fabric ensures air-conditioned and dry feet.
- Nubuck: Nubuck is the finest leather and is used as an outer material for waterproof shoes. The leather is characterised by its rough and almost velvety surface. Nubuck is often colloquially known as suede. The leather remains waterproof even when exposed to high levels of moisture, making it perfect for making waterproof shoes.
You are free to decide what colour your waterproof shoes should be. Depending on the style, function and material of the shoes, the possible colour palette of the models can differ. Particularly popular are muted colours such as brown, black, grey or dark blue.
However, if you want bright colours like yellow, green or a great orange, you will of course also find what you are looking for. In the dark weather of winter, a little colour can't hurt anyway. Either way, your waterproof shoes can be a real eye-catcher!
The style of your clothing can also have a big impact on your choice of waterproof shoes to match. We have compiled below which 3 essential styles can be distinguished.
- Classic: Classic men's fashion exudes timelessness and elegance. The clothes are often available in muted colours and have a rather straight cut. The shoes are also very simple and often made of leather or imitation leather. But simple fabric shoes without a lot of frills also go down well with a classic style.
- Casual: Casual shoes are usually quite uncomplicated and simple. Bright colours and simple fabrics make up the style of the everyday look.
- Trendy: The trendy fashion style is characterised by buying many brand-name products. Current trends are quickly followed, so that unconventional looks can often come about. Either way, a real eye-catcher!
Waterproof shoes for men: The most important questions answered
Choosing the right shoes is not always easy. Therefore, we have answered the most important questions about waterproof shoes for men for you.
What types of waterproof shoes are there for men?
Waterproof shoes for men do not differ significantly. However, a basic distinction can be made between waterproof hiking shoes and winter shoes.
- Waterproof hiking boots: In addition to their waterproof function, hiking boots are often equipped with a flexible sole that gives the foot good support during long hikes. These are essential and ultimately also make a good hiking shoe, as this can have a significant influence on a healthy posture.
- Waterproof winter shoes: Winter shoes usually have an additional inner lining to keep the feet warm in cold winter weather. However, waterproof material should also be considered for winter shoes, as they are often used in snow or slush.
What is the difference between waterproof and water-repellent shoes?
Water-repellent or waterproof? What sounds similar can have unpleasant consequences after purchase. So what is the difference? We explain the essential points below.
- Water-repellent: Water-repellent shoes can only withstand moisture and rain to a certain degree. The materials used do not absorb moisture up to that point and do not allow it to get inside the shoe. The water is then often seen to bead up on the surface of the shoes. In heavy rain, however, the materials cannot withstand the high level of moisture and become permeable. This results in wet feet.
- Waterproof: Shoes that carry the status "waterproof" are equipped to withstand any kind of moisture. Under no circumstances should moisture get inside these shoes.
What needs to be considered when cleaning waterproof shoes for men?
Cleaning waterproof shoes is usually no different from cleaning normal shoes.
For superficial dirt, the shoes can simply be cleaned with a cloth or brush. To do this, rub the surface carefully with a little water. The shoes should then be allowed to dry thoroughly. It is best to remove the sole and open the shoes wide. Under no circumstances should they be placed in an oven or similar to dry more quickly, as they could otherwise catch fire. Rather, the room should be well ventilated and at least at room temperature.
However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for special waterproof shoes. Some shoes need special care because of the material used.
For some shoes, products containing oil or grease should therefore be avoided. They only help to make leather shoes waterproof. In shoes with a fabric made of membranes, the membranes could become clogged and thus no longer provide adequate moisture balance.
Under no circumstances should waterproof shoes be washed in the washing machine. For superficial dirt, the cleaning instructions already mentioned can be applied.
If the shoes no longer smell pleasant, they should be aired out for a while. In general, stockings should be worn that ensure good moisture transport.
After cleaning, the shoes can be re-impregnated to ensure that they remain waterproof.
Whether it's a hiking trip, a winter holiday or a city trip - waterproof shoes are a real must for many excursions! If you don't want to get your feet wet, you can't go wrong with waterproof shoes for men!
The unique materials not only provide good moisture protection, but also a fashionable look. The shoes are easy to combine and complete every outfit perfectly. In addition, they keep feet warm and dry without leaving them in a pool of sweat after a long day of hiking.
(Image source: pixabay.com / Steve Buissinne