Work shoes for men are a daily part of the working day for many men. In many professions, one is exposed to various dangers. In order to be able to avoid these dangers and to significantly reduce the risk of injury, a work shoe or safety shoe is mandatory in many different companies. Your employer will tell you whether you have to wear a work shoe in your profession.
These companies are on the one hand the classic production companies, but also construction companies and hospitals make use of this safety device. We would now like to give you an understanding of this topic and provide you with some helpful tips.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Work Shoes: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying work shoes for men
- 4 Work shoes for men: The most important questions answered
- 5 Conclusion
The Best Men's Work Shoes: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying work shoes for men
From simple and classic work shoes to work shoes that look like trainers, work shoes now come in a wide variety of colours and shapes. But there are some essential points you should pay attention to when buying the perfect work shoe. We have listed the most important criteria below.
These are the following purchase criteria:
- Slip resistance
In the following detailed description you will learn how to choose the perfect work shoe:
You are probably familiar with the problem described above: You have had a water or other liquid spill at work, or the floor is wet due to cleaning. Depending on the type of floor, this can be an extremely dangerous situation with serious consequences.
Slipping on wet floors can quickly become a very dangerous work accident, from which the worst injuries can result. Losing your balance for a brief moment is thus probably still the most harmless outcome. However, if you fall down due to a slippery or wet floor, this can lead to serious injuries.
Examples of this could be: Twisting your ankle, spraining your tailbone, bruising your back, and unfortunately many more. To avoid this, it is essential to make sure that the shoes you buy are slip-resistant.
It is also important that the shoe is waterproof. The simple reason for this is that in many professions you come into contact with water or liquids. It is not uncommon for liquids to get on your shoes.
If you have shoes that are not waterproof, the water seeps through the shoes and your feet get wet.
On the one hand, this can cause you to catch a cold if you do not dry your feet directly. On the other hand, it is of course not good for the shoes in the long run if they get wet all the time. This leads to more wear and tear on your shoes.
You are probably familiar with the following situation: you have a hard day at work, you are on your feet a lot and your feet sweat or get warm.
As a result, your feet sweat, get hot and need air to breathe. If you do not wear breathable shoes, you will have the well-known problem of stinky feet.
To avoid the unpleasant smell and also the feeling, we strongly advise you to make sure you buy breathable shoes. This will give you a much more comfortable wearing experience.
You spend a lot of time at work every day. And you spend most of that time standing or walking. This puts a lot of strain on your feet.
It is therefore all the more important to make sure that your work shoes are comfortable to wear. This means that they must not be too heavy.
The heavier your shoe, the more strenuous your daily work will be. This is a point that you should definitely consider in advance. It is helpful to try on the shoe beforehand and walk a few steps in it.
Comfort is one of the most important factors. Please don't forget that you spend the majority of your time in these shoes, standing or walking.
Therefore, you should make sure that the shoe fits perfectly and is comfortable for you. It should not rub or pinch at any point. Here, too, it is essential to try on the shoe beforehand.
The shoe is often made more comfortable by a special sole. There are many different types of sole. The difference is really enormous. This not only makes it easier for you to wear the shoes, it is also an investment in your health.
Work shoes for men: The most important questions answered
The topic of work shoes only becomes interesting for most people in the respective occupational classes when you start this profession and are asked to wear them by your employer. Accordingly, various questions arise here at the beginning. We have answered the most important questions in the following section.
What types of work shoes are there for men?
First of all, you should take a closer look at the different types in order to find the perfect shoes for you. A distinction is made here:
- Men's work shoes with steel toecaps: In many professions, a steel toe cap is indispensable. Steel toecaps are known to be the most stable shoe and therefore offer the best protection. However, work shoes with steel toecaps are significantly heavier, like others.
- Men's work shoes with hard plastic caps: Work shoes with plastic caps also offer good protection. However, this is less than with steel toecaps. One advantage is that these shoes are somewhat lighter.
- Men's work shoes in the respective safety classes: There are different safety classes with equally different properties. Depending on your profession, you will receive certain safety classes as a mandatory requirement of the shoe. A distinction is made here between: SB, S1 and S1P, S2, S3, S4 and S5.
- Men's work shoes in different heights: The height is on the one hand a comfort, but on the other hand also a further safety. The higher the shoe, the better you are protected, of course. However, this point also belongs to the category of style, and depends on what taste you have and what you prefer.
How do I clean and care for men's work shoes?
Work shoes are not only exposed to permanent dirt, but also to unpleasant odours very quickly. Therefore, it is important not only to clean your work shoes regularly, but also to clean them properly. The following tips should help you with this:
- Air your shoes regularly, preferably after each working day. To do this, put the shoes outside in the fresh air overnight.
- Eliminate unpleasant odours using various products. Examples could be: a shoe deodorant, using baking soda or baking powder, or putting the shoes in the freezer overnight.
- Clean the shoe regularly by taking the shoe apart step by step and cleaning the individual parts one by one. Special cleaning agents are often available for this purpose.
The most important thing is regularity. Shoes quickly tend to smell unpleasant, and the less often the shoe is cleaned, the more difficult it is to remove the odours. So it is also a good idea to take preventive action. By cleaning and airing the shoes, even if they do not yet give off any unpleasant odours.
Why do you need men's work shoes?
Safety or work shoes are an important part of many jobs as they protect the worker from imminent danger. Thus, wearing work shoes is mandated as a duty by the employer. This is often the case if you work in a job where you have to work with heavy objects, such as in production. But safety shoes are also compulsory in hospitals and are part of the daily work outfit. After all, even in hospitals you are exposed to dangers such as syringes.
Who bears the costs for men's work shoes?
The employer is obliged to pay for safety clothing. This also applies to work shoes.
However, this can be arranged in different ways: Either the employer already has a stock of work shoes which he offers to his employees. Or the employee chooses a particular pair himself, buys and pays for the shoes and is then reimbursed the money by the employer.
In short, either you get the shoes provided or subsidised.
How often do you get new men's work shoes?
There is no fixed legal rule on how often an employee is entitled to a new pair of work shoes. This can therefore vary from company to company. Of course, this often depends on how they are used.
As a rule, however, the employee is entitled to a new pair of work shoes approximately every year.
Work shoes are therefore an essential and necessary part of many professions and are therefore an integral part of the work outfit.
You should be aware of how many different types there are and which points are very important to consider if your employer does not provide you with shoes but you have to get them yourself. This is the only way you will buy the right work shoes and thus make your everyday working life much easier and prevent your health in the future.
Sources: Unsplash & 123rf