Summer will soon be here and what better way to cool down than with a scoop of ice cream? Just in time for the start of summer, the new ice cream trend from Japan arrives - Mochi ice cream.
Are you bored of your normal vanilla or chocolate ice cream and want to try something new for the summer? Then Mochi ice cream is just the dessert for you! We'll tell you exactly what's behind the new ice cream trend and how you can find your perfect Mochi ice cream here.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Mochi Ice Cream: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for mochi ice cream
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about mochi ice cream answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
- Mochi ice cream is a new ice cream trend from Japan. However, mochis are traditionally not filled with ice cream, but with various sweet or savoury pastes such as red bean, black sesame or peanut paste.
- The new ice cream trend offers many advantages compared to other conventional ice creams. Mochi ice cream is relatively low in calories and lactose- and gluten-free, making it perfect for vegans.
- With Mochi ice cream, you will not only get to know the Japanese culture better, but you can also make it yourself quite easily at home.
The Best Mochi Ice Cream: Our Picks
In the following, we have compiled our most popular mochi ice creams to make your purchase decision easier. This will help you find the ice cream that suits your taste.
Buying and evaluation criteria for mochi ice cream
In order to find the right Mochi ice cream that meets your personal needs and tastes, we have worked out some more buying criteria for you. These criteria are as follows:
In the following, we will take a closer look at these respective purchase criteria and explain to you what you should look out for so that you can make the best purchase decision for you.
Mochi ice cream consists partly of the outer dough and partly of ice cream. The dough is made from glutinous rice flour and is reminiscent of a rice cake, which is neutral to sweet in taste. The taste of the unfilled natural mochi is compared to an unbaked biscuit dough.
Likewise, the consistency of the mochi is soft and sticky and may not be to everyone's liking, although the amount of dough in a mochi ice cream is significantly less than in traditional rice cakes.
It is the filling that gives the mochi its true flavour.
There are no limits to the types of ice cream, so you can choose your favourite according to your own needs, such as chocolate, mango or strawberry ice cream. Maybe you'd like to try something a little more unusual? How about a black sesame or green tea filling? So in terms of taste, you can simply choose the Mochi ice cream according to your preferences.
Another purchase criterion is the ingredients, and you should take a closer look at these depending on your personal needs. The nutritional values of Mochi ice cream vary from product to product. In general, the ice cream is lower in calories than other ice creams.
So if you are watching your diet, you should choose a type of ice cream that is lower in calories, such as strawberry ice cream, which has about 154 kcal per 100g.
Mochi ice cream is also lactose- and gluten-free. The production is often based on coconut milk and is therefore also ideally suited for vegans. However, you should also take a close look at the ingredients, as these can also vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
If you want to be sure about the ingredients in your mochi ice cream, you can make the outer dough as well as the ice cream yourself.
Mochi ice cream can be stored in the freezer just like any other type of ice cream. Depending on the manufacturer, mochi ice cream can be kept in the fridge for several months or up to a year. Their consistency remains soft and sticky after thawing.
If you buy them in a specialist shop, the mochis are already in a freeze-dried package and can therefore easily be stored at home. However, if you like to make the Mochi ice cream yourself, you should buy storage boxes or something similar to freeze them in.
Another purchase criterion is the quantity. This can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Usually, there are around 6 mochi á 30 g in a purchased package, but the size or the number of grams of the individual mochi can vary.
Therefore, compare the portions of the different manufacturers so that you buy the mochi variant that offers you more added value.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about mochi ice cream answered in detail
In this section, we ask and answer the most important questions about mochi ice cream. Through our answers and tips, we want to give you a better insight and more information on this topic, so that you are well informed for your next mochi ice cream purchase.
What is Mochi ice cream?
Mochis are traditionally served fresh and in a soft state. Additionally, they can also be roasted with sugar or served with a soy sauce. The mochi with ice cream is now a new trend and is therefore eaten fresh and cool.
Is mochi ice cream healthy?
Since the mochis are very sticky and chewy, it is especially important to chew them well. If you just want to swallow the mochi ice cream, you increase the risk of choking. Particular care should be taken with small children and older people. It is therefore advisable to cut the mochi ice cream into small pieces.
How can you make Mochi ice cream yourself?
And this is how it is made:
- Mix sticky rice flour, water and sugar together and put the dough into a heated pan. Let the batter simmer for 10 minutes, stirring it as you go.
- Let the dough cool a little and then divide it into 8 portions
- Mix each portion in a separate bowl with food colouring, cocoa powder or whatever you like.
- Dust your work surface with a little potato starch and knead the 8 portions together. Roll each of the portions into a dough surface with a diameter of about 10 cm.
- Place a scoop of ice cream into each surface and enclose the scoop with the rest of the dough.
- Wrap your mochi ice cream in cling film and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Done. You have your very own Mochi ice cream, which you can now serve decoratively on a platter.
When the temperature rises, it's time to get out the mochi ice cream and enjoy. According to a study from London, eating ice cream is even said to make us happy, and vegans and fitness fans can also enjoy mochi ice cream.
Mochi ice cream is thus becoming the new summer trend and is already widespread in Europe, too. So it doesn't matter whether you buy it from a specialist shop or make it yourself in the kitchen. Mochi ice cream will be a real surprise at your next garden party.
(Cover picture: pixabay / Wokandapix)