It's good to have you visiting us again at Monederosmart! We're sure you've heard of people going to places with sulphur or sulphurous hot springs because they are good for your health. Maybe you have visited one, and if not, we still invite you to join us to discover the benefits that sulphur can bring you.
In addition to the peculiar smell of these waters, their high sulphur content means that they are considered mineral-medicinal waters. This time, we want to tell you about organic sulphur as a food supplement known as MSM (methyl-sulphonyl-methane) and how you can get all the benefits it can bring you without having to leave your home.
So let's start this adventure together and find out what MSM really is, its characteristics, the function of sulphur in our body and why you should consider adding it to your list of dietary supplements whether you are struggling with a medical condition or simply for prevention and to help your body function properly.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best MSM: Our Picks
- 4 Buying guide: What you need to know about MSM
- 4.1 What is Organic Sulphur - MSM?
- 4.2 What are the benefits?
- 4.3 Capsules, powder or flakes - what should you look out for?
- 4.4 What can give me an MSM deficiency?
- 4.5 What can I expect when taking MSM as a supplement?
- 4.6 Similar, but is it the same?
- 4.7 Why is MSM appreciated in the beauty industry?
- 4.8 Want to know more?
- 5 Purchasing criteria
- Organic sulphur or MSM is a trace element that is in our cells in small quantities and helps the metabolism to function well. Other trace elements in our body include zinc, copper, cadmium, iodine, etc. The way to obtain them is through foods with a high protein content or supplements.
- It is increasingly recognised by nutrition and beauty experts as one of the most important nutrients we need as it is found in almost every type of cell and plays an important role in the detoxification of our body. It works hand in hand with glutathione and without sulphur, glutathione cannot do its job.
- When making your decision it is always good to know some details to consider such as the type of sulphur, the dosage you need, and of course the presentation is also very important. Finally, we want you to know what you need to consider in beauty products made with MSM.
The Best MSM: Our Picks
Buying guide: What you need to know about MSM
Now we want to provide you with specific and detailed information that we are sure will be very useful for you to make a good choice. Here we present to you what MSM is and what its characteristics are, what function organic sulphur fulfils in our body and the health and cosmetic benefits it provides us with.
What is Organic Sulphur - MSM?
It is important to recognise that although it is an element of the earth's crust, due to all the treatments of water and soil, we do not obtain it in the quantities we require. Therefore, a very natural diet with organic products, untreated water, etc. is a good decision, as well as including it as a supplement.
The way it works is that it helps the cell membranes not to be so rigid and all the nutrients can enter them to fulfil their function. If the cell membranes are not flexible and permeable, the cells cannot breathe and will die, shrivel or turn into cancer cells.
What are the benefits?
In order for the cells to receive all the necessary nutrients, there must be an optimal pH level, oxygenation and good circulation. The benefits are so wide and varied that even cosmetic companies hold MSM in high esteem. It is also considered by nutritionists to be one of the best dietary supplements.
Capsules, powder or flakes - what should you look out for?
Each presentation will provide great benefits to your health, there is no doubt about that, you will simply have to consider their differences and see which presentation is the one that best suits your needs. Let's look at each in more detail.
Capsules. Capsules are for oral use and are easy to swallow and digest. This is very convenient as it allows you to avoid the unpleasant taste and smell characteristic of sulphur. In addition, the dosage you get through the capsules will be more uniform.
Powder and Flakes. These supplements, like capsules, are solid elements for oral use. One of their characteristics is that their absorption is almost immediate, although the dose may vary slightly. To avoid the taste you can dissolve it in flavoured water or juice.
Cosmetics. These products are not so manipulated in terms of their production, they contain hermetic seals that guarantee them and their use is topical. Like the powder and flakes, the dosage may vary slightly.
What can give me an MSM deficiency?
Even cosmetic companies value it and there are several products, specifically beauty products, with sulphur. So if I eat a healthy diet, why am I suffering from MSM deficiency? Here we explain what is happening with food and water that is causing them not to provide us with the sulphur we need:
|Demineralisation||From the Fields||Distillation|
|Chemicals||Fertilisers and Pesticides||Chlorine|
What can I expect when taking MSM as a supplement?
Another aspect of MSM is that it acts from the cells, nourishing them. In this way we will see improvements in different areas of our body's functioning:
- Circulatory system: regulation of blood glucose levels, improves circulation,
- Digestive system: improves constipation, acidity, parasites and ulcers.
- Musculoskeletal system: relieves muscle tension and pain, helps with osteoporosis, arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Purification of the organism: improved liver function, elimination of fats and carbohydrates, toxins are released.
- Pain in general due to its analgesic properties.
- Metabolism: production of essential amino acids, elimination of fat
- Skin, hair and nails: formation of collagen and keratin, cures skin problems such as eczema, acne, psoriasis, etc. Helps with alopecia
- Immune system: is strengthened and recovery times are shorter, allergies are reduced,
- Nervous System: cerebral oxygenation, fibromyalgia, etc.
Similar, but is it the same?
Glucosamine helps with age-related joint problems that can cause cartilage and joint damage. While
Chondroitin. It is what allows cartilage to have flexibility. They are not bad supplements, they just aren't the same and don't offer all the benefits that MSM does.
Why is MSM appreciated in the beauty industry?
By helping the formation of collagen and keratin, it gives back to the skin, hair and nails of people over 30 years of age a youthful, smooth, soft and full of freshness appearance. Its detoxifying effect and the fact that it promotes circulation helps to eliminate elements that cause blemishes or signs of ageing. Therefore, among other things:
- It provides elasticity and firmness.
- Hair and nails grow faster and are resistant.
- Reduces wrinkles as it stimulates cell regeneration.
- Reduces the recovery time of wounds.
- Reduces inflammation by controlling acne.
As for the products you can find there are: face and body creams, soaps, masks to regenerate or exfoliate the face or for hair problems, ointments or gels for skin problems that we have already mentioned, shampoo, etc.
Want to know more?
For this purpose we leave you here the recommendation of the book:
"MSM: Sulfur To Recover Health" written by Beth M. Ley. This is the Spanish version where she explains why organic sulphur is important, its benefits and explains in more detail how to use it.
Regardless of the number of benefits a dietary supplement can provide or the different presentations in which you can find it, it is important to consider certain aspects before making your purchase. Among these we invite you to consider the following:
Perhaps you have heard that not everything that glitters is gold, so we want to tell you that not everything that is sulphur is good for your health. Therefore, we consider it important to emphasise that the sulphur used for the production of food supplements is organic sulphur, abbreviated as MSM (methyl-sulphonyl-methane).
This is a colourless organic compound and is fit for human consumption. There are other types of sulphur that vary in composition and are used to create gunpowder for pyrotechnic fires for example, to vulcanise rubber, as a fungicide, etc.
It is safe to take daily as side effects are rare unless there is an allergy. However, it is recommended that the initial intake be gradual starting with 1,500 mg the first week and then the recommended dose of 3,000 to 10,000 depending on your case.
As it is a powerful detoxifier, it can cause stomach pain, headaches and even diarrhoea, depending on the degree of intoxication you have. Therefore, consult a specialist to prescribe the ideal dose for you, taking into account your age, height, weight and degree of sulphur deficiency.
When buying MSM supplements, you need to decide which formulation is right for you. The capsules are easy to take, you won't struggle with the taste and don't require further preparation, making them an excellent choice for those with a busy and time-constrained lifestyle.
The powder or flakes are diluted in water and if the taste is a problem for you, add a few drops of lemon or your favourite juice to disguise the flavour. However, as with any presentation of this type, it will be easier and quicker for your body to absorb.
When it comes to beauty products, it is important that you look for a recognised brand first. There are companies dedicated to beauty using natural products that, although they are ideal for everyone, you should always check that they have a certification.
The care in the conditions for its preparation and the dosage they use are very important because depending on what you add the sulphur to and the purpose of the product will be the amount to add. For example, to make soap you need to add sulphur to a glycerine formula.
Preferably buy products that do not use fragrances because although fragrances cover the smell of the sulphur, which is a bit strong, they can cause a reaction such as irritation. Not only will you not be able to determine if you are allergic to sulphur, but you will also neutralise the benefits that sulphur can provide.
(Featured image photo: Photo: Iryna Khabliuk / 123rf.com)