Welcome to this new instalment. Looking great doesn't always depend on the clothes you wear, sometimes an accessory can bring life to an outfit that doesn't stand out on its own.
One of these secret weapons in fashion are necklaces, which are one of the oldest pieces of jewellery even older than rings. Necklaces have become both a fashion accessory and a significant element of a person's everyday life.
We want to help you choose the best one by showing you the types that exist as well as their main characteristics. After reading this guide, you will be able to identify the factors that you can compare. Don't miss it!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Necklace: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Buying criteria: factors that allow you to compare and rate different types of necklaces.
- Necklaces are one of the most classic pieces of jewellery in existence and have been part of the culture of many civilisations. They started out as simple chains or artistic pendants that were later transformed into necklaces with pearls, beads and glass pieces.
- When we talk about necklaces, we mean any type of chain that features precious metals or gemstones. The right necklace will add style to any outfit you wear. It is also one of the most popular items to give as a gift on special occasions. The more personalised and stylish the design, the better.
- There are as many types of necklaces as there are personalities around the world. Creativity is infinite and for all tastes we are sure that there is one or several models designed for you. Check out the best ones on the market in our ranking!
The Best Necklace: Our Picks
A necklace can have many specific design and style features. Sometimes it seems easy to choose one, but with so much choice it is important to consider all the features. Finding a necklace that suits your style and needs is the ideal way to make a great purchase.
We want you to be clear about each and every one of the aspects related to necklaces. That is why in the following sections you will find information that we hope you will find useful.
What are necklaces and what are their advantages?
Necklaces are accessories in the form of a chain that go around the neck or upper chest as an adornment. It is an even older piece of jewellery than the ring or bracelet and has been used by both men and women over the years.
They are interesting accessories that catch anyone's eye. They are arguably some of the most classic jewellery in existence and never go out of fashion. These ornaments have remained in time and nowadays they are still worn through modern designs of any kind of material, with charms, applications, stones and in different sizes.
One of the main advantages of necklaces is that they are very practical accessories to give your outfit a different connotation. In fact, just by adding them you can add life or elegance to a neutral coloured dress. They also reflect a bit of our personality, culture, or beliefs.
Choker necklaces or long necklaces - what should you pay attention to?
When buying a necklace, the most common thing is to find an interesting and high quality design. As there are many variations on the market, it is important that you know the fundamental differences between the types of necklaces you can find.
Both types of this product have their strengths. The main difference lies in aspects such as the type of face, area it favours, focal point, style and way of use you can get from each one. We will talk more about each of them below:
- Choker: It is a short round necklace that surrounds the neck and is placed at the level of the throat and usually include a small pendant. They are also known as "chokers" and can be formal or informal depending on the material. Formal chokers are made of silver, gold or fantasy, while informal chokers are usually made of fabric, cord or plastic and give a more tribal or bohemian look.
- Long Necklaces: Long necklaces are those whose diameter exceeds 70 cm. They usually fall at the height of our abdomen and include large charms that stand out from our outfit. They usually include costume jewellery and goldsmithing techniques, as they come in eccentric styles. They are not necklaces that go unnoticed; they are designed to highlight and make a neutral-coloured or plain-looking garment stand out.
Buying criteria: factors that allow you to compare and rate different types of necklaces.
When choosing the best necklace it is normal that we are not sure what criteria to take into account. You should also choose one that is of high quality and style. In that case, consider the following aspects:
There are different types of necklaces according to their length; some are very close to the neck and others are more separated, giving the appearance of being part of our wardrobe. Among the most popular we can mention:
- Choker: Used flush with the neck, it is one of the shortest necklace models that exist. They are usually between 36 and 41 cm long. It usually has a small pendant at the throat and you can adjust the length a little bit for more comfort.
- Princess necklace: It is a little bit longer than the choker, it measures between 43 and 48 cm and it is a little bit looser on the neck. We can identify them in the shops for being the typical white pearl necklace that surrounds our neck without being too tight.
- Matinee necklace: It is longer than the previous one, measuring between 50 and 60 cm long. It is the classic model that you can use both in casual and formal elegant looks.
- Opera necklace: This is one of the longest, measuring between 75 and 90 cm. Previously they were used with party dresses but nowadays they are used in any occasion, both day and night.
- Rope necklaces: These are the longest and are mostly used by designers presenting their new clothing collections. They add an eccentric touch to each garment.
Type of neckline
Knowing how to match the necklace with the type of neckline you will wear on a special occasion is an art and here we will discover everything you need to know about them:
- Strapless neckline: you should use a necklace that is gathered above the neckline and that are large and knotted near the neck. Long models will only overshadow your dress.
- Boat neckline: it is one of the most elegant necklines that exists and that is why you should choose a simple and small necklace that does not overload it. Choose one that is close to the neck without hanging too much, as it will make you look slimmer.
- V-neckline: this type of neckline enhances the appearance of the bust, so choose a V-necklace that follows the same shape. Avoid round or oversized necklaces.
- Round neckline: this neckline is suitable for all types of silhouettes and like the previous case, it is best to choose a round necklace that follows the same shape. Large round necklaces or choker style necklaces will go well with this neckline.
- Square neckline: as it makes your shoulders look wider, it is best to wear them with large elongated necklaces that go above the neckline.
Necklaces offer an infinite range of possibilities and styles to match your personality. There are different designs and styles to suit all tastes. The connotation of each one is given by the material used, the technique and the combination of colours used. Among the most common we can highlight:
- Extravagant: They use multicoloured designs and all kinds of materials such as feathers, precious stones, fabric or diamonds. They are usually long necklaces although there are also very daring chokers and necklaces of smaller sizes that do not skimp when it comes to mixing trends.
- Symbolic: They incorporate representative and interesting charms such as large medallions in the shape of feathers, owls or crosses. We tend to create emotional bonds with this type of necklaces, as they represent a part of our hobbies, tastes and beliefs.
- Braided: They are usually used in winter, as they evoke a cosier style. They are more handmade and are mostly made of fabric. They are also very colourful and have been part of the latest fashion trends, being used with casual outfits.
Even if we fall in love with a specific necklace, we should know that there are types of necklaces that favour our face shape. Sometimes we ignore this variable, which makes our necklace look out of place instead of enhancing our outfit.
- Oval face: this type of face is perfect for any type of necklace, as they all combine very well. However, make sure that the design is in harmony with your height. If your neck is long, short pearl necklaces or chokers will be ideal. On the other hand, if your neck is short, choose a drop style necklace with an attractive but subtle charm to make it look longer. This is one of the most common mistakes when wearing a necklace and you can't imagine the difference it makes to correct it.
- Round Face: Choosing a necklace that goes well with this type of face is a challenge, as we must focus on not making it look too round. Drop necklaces are perfect because they will elongate your face. Avoid chokers or short princess necklaces that will only emphasise the roundness of your face.
- Elongated face: if your face is longer than wide you can wear short necklaces with large beads at the base of your neck. They will help you to break the verticality of your neck.
- Square face: we are talking about those faces with hard features both in the forehead and chin. The idea is to lengthen the face a bit through a necklace with length and curves that can soften the jaw area and counteract the hardness of your features.
Go for princess necklaces or oval shaped necklaces as they will draw attention away from your neck downwards. Necklaces with curves and swirls are excellent choices.
- Heart-shaped face: this type of face is characterised by being wider in the forehead area and narrower at the chin. So we look for a necklace that balances these dimensions, short and curvy, that is a little wide and has double strands or large beads at the base of the throat.
- Inverted triangle face: The shape of this face is the exact opposite of the heart shape; it is narrower at the forehead and wider at the jaw. An ideal necklace should be short and gently curved to elongate the face. Charms with swirls are ideal.
(Featured Image Photo: Elle Stallings/ Pixabay.com)