If you like to have a good table set, check out our article today about the platter.
An ideal kitchen is one that has items that are useful, functional and also beautiful and adorn the table. A utensil that meets all these requirements is a good serving platter. It is perfect for any occasion and can hold an infinity of dishes. However, it must be chosen with care.
Therefore, in this article we will give you all the tips you need to choose a perfect platter for everything you need! We will cover the best models, materials and functions and much more. Check it out!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Platter: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Purchase criteria: Factors that compare different types of serving platters
- If you wish to place your dish in the oven, be sure to make sure that the material is refractory so that there is no damage to the health of your family, yourself or friends.
- Each dish shape is best suited to one type of food, so choose carefully and opt for a shape that goes well with what you are cooking.
- A good tip is to choose a decorative platter to compose the table in special situations and events.
The Best Platter: Our Picks
Despite being an indispensable item and very easy to find in any city, the platter is not simple to buy. With many different models, materials, colours and shapes, a serving platter can be a very complex item to choose.
That's why we've separated the best serving platter models to make your life easier and simplify your choices when buying this essential item for your kitchen.
Set the table in style with the platter you love! The serving platter can be one of the highlights of your dining table since it can hold the main course. So with a beautiful serving platter, you set the tone for your dining experience and express your personal style.
Therefore, it should be chosen with care, paying attention to a variety of aspects. Check out what they are in our exclusive Buying Guide.
What is a platter?
It can be used to hold a multitude of foods, from salads to truly delicious desserts. Furthermore, a platter can hold both hot and cold dishes.
To top it all off, the platter can be found in a multitude of sizes and models, making it ideal for those with a large family or who just want to make an intimate dinner for two.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a platter?
At the table, this item is, above all, a decorative attraction to make your table even more beautiful. As they are extremely versatile items, they can match any style of tableware you have chosen.
The disadvantage is mainly the price, since a good quality platter with a differentiated design can be expensive. Besides, they are breakable items. Therefore, care should always be taken when handling them.
What is the best material for a serving platter?
Chinese Porcelain: Lightweight and elegant, Chinese porcelain is a durable option for both everyday utensils and special occasions because it resists cutting. It is super durable and can be put in the dishwasher.
Porcelain: This versatile material has a non-porous surface and excellent durability as a result of high firing temperatures. These pieces are typically dishwasher, microwave and oven safe. Keep an eye out for porcelain serving dishes with metallic details, as these cannot be microwaved!
Earthenware: The earthenware platter offers value, durability and casual appeal. It's one of the oldest industrial materials, and gives you substantial weight in your dishes. It's a good idea to avoid sudden temperature changes, high oven temperatures or high settings in the microwave to keep the dishes looking their best.
Glass: Many prefer the practicality and simplicity of a glass dish. They are not as beautiful as other materials, but they are durable and cost effective.
|Highlights||Lightweight, durable and elegant||Durable and versatile||Good value, durability and casual appeal||Inexpensive and versatile|
|Disadvantages||Expensive and sensitive||Can deform at high temperatures||Simple and not so pretty||Not so pretty|
What are the different types of sleepers?
- Salad bowl: The salad bowl is a kitchen item of medium depth or shallower, which can have a vegetable and leaf catcher. If the salad has creamy items, there is also the option of a salad bowl with a lid, which facilitates storage.
- Fish and roast dishes: Long, oval platters are usually the most commonly found in kitchens all over the world. This type is known for holding fish and roasted meats, but is a super versatile item that goes perfect with a variety of dishes.
- Soups and sauces: The soup ladle is a deeper item and usually has a lid and ladle attached.
- Saucer: The saucer is almost a small soup bowl, since its format and use are very similar. The difference is that they only hold about 200 to 300 ml of sauces.
- Pasta platter: This is one of the most popular and appreciated models of platters, because there is nothing more appetizing than a delicious platter of pasta.
Purchase criteria: Factors that compare different types of serving platters
From the simplest to the finest, the models of platter are varied and are present in any kitchen. However, this variety can make the platter an item that is a little tricky to choose.
By observing the following criteria, you will be able to choose your platter quickly and easily. Check each one out:
So, let's detail each of these items so you can choose the best platter for your kitchen.
The material is the main point to be observed when choosing a platter. This is because it has everything to do with the presentation of food, with the price and also with the product's capacity to receive each type of food.
Thinner materials such as Chinese porcelain should be chosen with extra care, as you will want your platter to last for a long time because of its price. Other materials, such as glass, can be chosen with greater ease.
One of the main criteria to be observed is whether your dish can be put in the oven or heated up in the microwave. For that, it needs to be made of refractory material. Otherwise, it will spoil or release harmful particles in your food.
Therefore, make sure of the material's properties and capabilities when buying. If the dish is just for serving, it is not necessary that it is refractory.
There are platters of all sizes, from mini platters, which fit only a few snacks, to the truly giant models, which have the function of serving many people.
When buying yours, keep in mind the food you want to serve on it and also how you will store it after washing it. It is always best to opt for sizes that fall between small and medium.
The shape of a platter should be the best for what you want to serve. Fish, for example, fits very well on oval shaped platters. While pies are perfect in square and rectangular containers. So keep this criterion in mind when choosing your platter.
They can even have very peculiar formats, and thus, make your table more elegant. The interesting thing is to have several types of platters, with different sizes, shapes and materials.
(Source of the highlighted image: RitaE / Pixabay)