Radiant heaters can generate pleasant heat very quickly. This is why they are often found in gardens and on terraces, but also above a changing table. However, the individual models differ greatly from each other. For example, one can already distinguish between permanently installed and movable models or between gas- or electricity-powered versions. To give you an overview of the wide range of products, we have taken a closer look at radiant heaters. Here we not only show you our favourites, but also what you should look out for when making your purchase decision. We also clarify the most important questions. Nothing should stand in the way of a cosy spring evening.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Radiant Heater: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for radiant heaters
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about radiant heaters answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
- You can use your radiant heater for various occasions. It is very popular for festivities in the garden, but also for creating a pleasant climate for children.
- Radiant heaters are available in gas-powered and electric versions. Both forms are available in various designs, so that a suitable model can be found for every price range.
- Radiant heaters are not permitted everywhere. Before you buy a radiant heater, you should inform yourself about the legal situation.
The Best Radiant Heater: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for radiant heaters
In order to find a suitable model for you, we have compiled the 5 most important criteria. These can make it easier for you to compare the individual models.
- Operating mode
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Flexibility of use
- Additional ease of use
Here we will explain the individual criteria in more detail:
Basically, a distinction can be made between gas radiant heaters and electric infrared radiant heaters.
|Gas radiant heater||transportable, can heat large areas quickly||gas bottle required, higher safety risk, greater environmental impact, only permitted outdoors|
|Infrared radiant heater||can be easily connected to any socket, space-saving||not transportable, lower performance|
Both forms can be used in different ways. While a gas radiant heater is more suitable for outdoors or open spaces, an infrared radiant heater can be used very well indoors.
Gas radiant heaters achieve an output of 10 to 30 kilowatts. This makes them very suitable for heating a larger area. Infrared radiant heaters, on the other hand, can only deliver an output of 2000 watts to 4 kilowatts. They are therefore much less powerful. They are therefore more suitable for an enclosed room or the changing table. You should consider beforehand which area you would like to heat. The higher the output, the higher the price.
Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
The question of the installation location can be decisive in deciding on the right radiant heater. A gas radiant heater may only be placed outdoors. An electric infrared radiant heater, on the other hand, can be placed both indoors and outdoors. The correct distances to furniture and walls must also be taken into account. If you are looking for a model for outdoor use, be sure to check its weather resistance. Not every model is protected against wind and weather.
Flexibility of use
Depending on the purpose, you can use your radiant heater very individually. The right model is crucial:
- The standing rad iant heater can usually be used very flexibly. Thanks to a stable base, the floor-standing radiant heaters can be easily set up in the desired location. They usually also have the advantage that their height can be varied.
- The hanging radiant heater can be individually attached to a wall or ceiling. This ensures the distance to people and furniture. In addition, a suspended radiant heater heats indirectly and is not directly visible.
- The permanently mounted radiant heater can hang on the ceiling as well as on a wall. Here, you should pay particular attention to the correct spacing. When buying a mounted version, you should pay attention to the angle of inclination of the radiant heater. This ensures individual adjustment.
Each variant has certain advantages. So first and foremost, think about the area in which you want to use your radiant heater.
Additional ease of use
Many radiant heaters include additional features. By controlling them with a remote control or an app, the operation can be made much more comfortable. It allows you to conveniently switch the radiant heater on and off remotely. In addition, the temperature can be regulated in some models and several radiant heaters can be operated simultaneously. A timer also favours easier operation. By automatically switching off the radiant heater, a higher degree of safety can be guaranteed. Accidental starting can thus be avoided.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about radiant heaters answered in detail
What is a radiant heater?
They are available in different versions and can thus be used both outdoors and indoors. They are often used in the catering industry or above babies' changing tables.
Who are radiant heaters suitable for?
- Gastronomes can provide their guests with a warm stay in the outdoor area on cooler evenings. This means that even on colder days, no space is left empty in the restaurant.
- Garden lovers can benefit from the warmth especially in spring and autumn. This makes it possible to sit comfortably outside or have parties almost all year round.
- Parents with babies, on the other hand, make sure that the baby does not cool down while being changed. Babies cannot maintain their body temperature, so a radiant heater protects the child's health.
In addition to the areas mentioned, there are of course many more places where they can be used. This means that almost everyone can benefit from a radiant heater.
What types of radiant heaters are there?
- Gas radiant heater: more powerful, gas bottle required, only approved for outdoor use
- Infrared radiant heater: less powerful, requires electricity, may be used indoors and outdoors
The two designs offer a wide range of applications. Consequently, a suitable model can be found for everyone.
What does a radiant heater cost?
|Price range||Available products|
|Low-priced (20 - 60€)||low power, usually very small, simple installation|
|Medium-priced (60 - 100€)||improved power, usually with simple additional functions|
|High-priced (100€ and above)||very high power, usually with additional functions, variable use|
When making a choice, the operating costs should not be ignored. The higher the performance of the appliance, the higher the power consumption and the resulting costs.
|Price range||Available products|
|Low-priced (30 - 70€)||low performance, rather small and compact|
|Medium-priced (70 - 150€)||improved performance, mostly with heat regulation|
|High-priced (150€ and above)||very high performance, mostly with additional functions, variable use|
As the gas radiant heater requires a gas cylinder for operation, the costs for this should be calculated additionally.
Do I need a radiant heater for my baby's changing table?
Where are radiant heaters prohibited?
With a radiant heater, cool spring evenings on the terrace no longer have to end prematurely. You can provide yourself and your guests with the optimal temperature for well-being, which guarantees a harmonious get-together. You can also create a child-friendly climate in the bathroom with an infrared radiant heater. In this way, you promote the well-being and health of your children at the simple touch of a button. A radiant heater is especially recommended for small children.
(Cover picture: 123rf / 39881478)