Today we are going to talk about a classic accessory that never goes out of fashion: the Ray-Ban sunglasses.
Eternalised by personalities and artists from all over the world, Ray-Ban sunglasses have been in fashion since the 1950s. And they reinvent themselves every day.
In the midst of so many different models, we will show you in this article what you should take into account when choosing and buying the ideal Ray-Ban for you.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Ray Ban Sunglasses: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 4.1 What are Ray-Ban sunglasses?
- 4.2 What are the most famous lines of sunglasses Ray-Ban?
- 4.3 How important is it to wear quality sunglasses?
- 4.4 How important are the lens colours of the glasses?
- 4.5 How to know if the Ray-Ban sunglasses are original?
- 4.6 What are the advantages of Ray-Ban sunglasses?
- 4.7 How much does a Ray-Ban sunglass cost?
- 5 Buying Criteria: Factors to Compare Ray-Ban Sunglasses
- There are several models of Ray-Ban sunglasses: from the classic to the most modern.
- Over time, the brand has reinvented itself and today offers options with manufacturing materials, shapes and colours for all tastes and styles.
- It is necessary to be very careful not to acquire a counterfeit Ray-Ban, and we will show you what you should take into account to be on the safe side.
The Best Ray Ban Sunglasses: Our Picks
The choice of Ray-Ban sunglasses should be based on your style and comfort. But there are other factors which may influence your purchase of the ideal sunglasses.
That is why we have created this Buying Guide. Here you will have all the information you need to make the best decision when buying your Ray-Ban sunglasses.
What are Ray-Ban sunglasses?
Ray-Ban is a brand of sunglasses and prescription glasses founded in 1937 in the United States. The name Ray-Ban appeared in reference to the term "banish the sun".
That's because, a few years earlier, the colonel of the United States Army Air Corps, John A. Macready, joined the company to create sunglasses that would reduce the distraction caused to pilots by the light from the sky.
Another concern of the colonel was the shape of the glasses, since the model pilots wore at the time fogged up and reduced visibility. Thus, the prototype created in 1936 became known as 'Anti-Glare' and had a plastic frame and green lenses.
Three years later, these sunglasses were redesigned, receiving a metal frame, and were patented as Ray-Ban Aviator. The traditional and most famous Ray-Ban sunglasses model was born, used until today and that fell in the popular taste after being used by personalities from all over the world.
Such was the success of Ray-Ban sunglasses that the accessory made history in films and was worn by artists such as Elvis Presley and Madonna. Over time, the brand also introduced prescription glasses.
Since then, several other models have emerged, setting fashion trends and revolutionising the culture according to the time. Today it is possible to find models with different frames, stems, types and lens colours.
In addition to the timeless models, Ray-Ban sunglasses have consolidated themselves in the market for the quality of the manufacturing materials and their durability.
What are the most famous lines of sunglasses Ray-Ban?
Below, we will explain to you the main characteristics of the best-selling Ray-Ban sunglasses models worldwide:
- Aviator: The sunglasses Ray-Ban Aviator type, the first to be created by the brand, are characterized by having large lenses and slightly convex. This model has received interventions and today, despite keeping the original design, it can be found with varied sizes, colours and materials.
- Wayfarer: Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses were manufactured in 1956, inspired by Cadillacs with fishtails. Therefore, they have trapezoidal plastic frames. Wayfarers, which have a retro look, gained popularity in the 1950s and 1960s, especially after they were worn by Audrey Hepburn in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's.
- Clubmaster: Clubmaster sunglasses are another classic of the brand, which came into fashion between 1950 and 1960. This model is formed by a frame in the upper part, similar to the shape of the eyebrow, with a square or round lens. In the 2000s, this model returned with a lighter design.
- Round: The Round line has the Ray-Ban sunglasses with round lenses and super thin frames and rods. This model was widely used in the 1970s and is still in vogue today as a timeless classic.
- Erika: Ray-Ban sunglasses from the Erika line were very popular around 2010. With thin stems and a medium frame around the entire lens, this model has a rounded shape at the base.
How important is it to wear quality sunglasses?
However, not all sunglasses have adequate protection against the sun's rays. And the absence of the protectors on the lenses can not only cause vision problems but can also increase the development of diseases.
That's why it's important that you buy a quality accessory, which is one of Ray-Ban's hallmarks.
The fact is that all Ray-Ban sunglasses have filters that protect the eyes, such as UVA, UVB and UVC. In addition to models with polarized lenses that provide comfort to the vision.
How important are the lens colours of the glasses?
The amber and brown ones, for example, are more indicated for those who have myopia and hyperopia, because they protect against blue light.
Brown, grey and green lenses are ideal for people over 60. In this age group there is a loss of contrast in vision.
Anyway, if you have any vision problems or limitations, we recommend that you seek medical advice before choosing the colour of the lens of your sunglasses.
How to know if the Ray-Ban sunglasses are original?
According to experts, wearing imitations is worse than not wearing sunglasses at all.
In addition to counterfeit models having no UV protection, dark, low-quality lenses can dilate further and thus absorb even more harmful rays.
Not to mention that a counterfeit product has no durability, warranty or technical assistance. Therefore, it is important that you know how to differentiate Ray-Ban counterfeit sunglasses from the originals.
Below, check out tips on how to know if your Ray-Ban sunglasses are original:
- The box of the original Ray-Ban sunglasses has a bar code sticker with information about the model, colour code and size;
- This information is also engraved on the inside of the arms;
- The original Ray-Ban glasses have the logo in the plates and in the lenses, and its manufacture number in the stems in white. Blurred logos that come off the frames are counterfeit;
- The frame of counterfeit spectacles is usually coarser;
- The invoice is your best proof of authenticity and safety.
What are the advantages of Ray-Ban sunglasses?
Ray-Ban sunglasses are not only durable, they are also suitable for the health and protection of your eyes.
Moreover, Ray-Ban sunglasses are timeless. As we have seen, the best-selling models have survived the passing of the decades and never go out of style.
Another advantage is the amount of different lines, models and sizes that suit all tastes.
The only disadvantage of Ray-Ban sunglasses is the price. This is not a cheap accessory. Still this accessory has a great cost benefit.
Check out the advantages and disadvantages of Ray-Ban sunglasses below:
How much does a Ray-Ban sunglass cost?
Buying Criteria: Factors to Compare Ray-Ban Sunglasses
The choice of Ray-Ban sunglasses depends a lot on your style and personality. However, with such a diversity of models, it is important that you understand what differentiates one type from another in order to choose the one that will best harmonise with your face.
For this reason, we have listed below the main factors that you should observe before buying Ray-Ban sunglasses.
Below, we will detail these factors for you to buy the ideal Ray-Ban sunglasses.
The first factor that you should consider before buying the Ray-Ban sunglasses is the shape. You will find Ray-Ban sunglasses in varied shapes like aviator type, rectangular, square, hexagonal and round.
But besides this being a personal choice, experts recommend that you evaluate the shape of your face before choosing the shape of the glasses. This will ensure perfect harmonisation.
To help you, we have listed below the most suitable types of Ray-Ban sunglasses according to your face shape.
|Face type||Sunglasses format|
|Square face||Oval, round or square with rounded tips|
|Oval face||Any type of format|
|Triangular face||Any type of format, but with thin frames or without frames|
The manufacturing material and the design of the frame are factors that you should also take into account. This is because, depending on the type of frame, the glasses can create a lighter or more striking air; more sober, sophisticated or stripped.
You will find models with the complete frame, around the entire lens, which is the most traditional. Already the thick frame, creates a more alternative style.
The glasses with thin frame, give an air of lightness and elegance. And the semi rim and rimless, are more contemporary.
In addition, there are different manufacturing materials that give style to the frame as, for example:
- Acetate: Quality plastic made from renewable materials.
- Nylon and propionate: For sports.
- Metal: Hypoallergenic and adjustable.
- Wood, leather, velvet, aluminium, carbon fibre or titanium: More sophisticated.
We have already seen that lens colours can influence eye health. But beyond the colours, Ray-Ban sunglasses offer different types of lenses:
- Classic: Uniform colours
- Mirrored and shiny
For people who spend a lot of time exposed to brightness, the most indicated are polarized lenses, which prevent glare and leave images clearer and with more contrast.
After choosing the shape and type of frame, you need to look at the measurements of the Ray-Ban sunglasses. This is the factor which will ensure that the sunglasses fit perfectly on your face, guaranteeing symmetry and comfort.
There are three measures that are usually exposed on the inside of the rods. They are:
- Bridge size: distance between a lens and another; that part that rests on the nose;
- Size of the rim: width of each lens, measured horizontally;
- Size of the stem: length of the support in the ears.
All of these measurements are made in millimetres and vary greatly according to the model. To give you an idea, in general, 55mm represents the small lens; 58mm, the medium size lens; and 62mm the large lens.
(Featured image source: StockSnap / Pixabay)