Some items are indispensable in the kitchen. You can't have a meal without pots, plates, cutlery and, of course, a salt shaker. Imagine always having to get the salt straight from the package. No way, right?
There are several types of salt shakers, from the larger ones, more used when preparing meals, to the smaller ones, ideal for seasoning salads. Among various sizes, types and materials, it can be difficult to choose yours.
Here we will talk all about this indispensable item in the kitchen, from the best models to their advantages and what you should pay attention to before choosing yours. Come with us to learn more about salad bowls!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Salt Shaker: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Purchase Criteria: The main features to evaluate a salt shaker
- There are two main types of salt shakers: the kitchen and the table. Both are super useful and quite essential at mealtimes.
- The salt shakers are made of many different materials, from cheap plastics to charming porcelain. We will help you to decide which is the best for your needs.
- Salt and pepper shakers are inexpensive kitchen utensils and can provide great value for money.
The Best Salt Shaker: Our Picks
Having a salt shaker is essential, but how to choose between so many sizes and materials? To help you, we have selected the best and most popular salt shaker models.
There is an infinite number of types of salt cellars in the shops, small and big, coloured, made of different materials, with sets, among others. To help you choose yours, we will answer all your questions in this section.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the salt shaker?
The larger kitchen salt shaker is ideal for preparing meals. Just open the lid, take the amount you want with a spoon and pour it into the pan or food.
The smaller table salt shaker, on the other hand, is ideal for you to throw directly on the plate, either to salt a salad, a crisp or even a bean that ended up being a little salty.
Besides, the salt shakers ensure that you will put only the desired amount of salt on the plate, without running the risk of falling too much and spoiling the food.
They are utensils that are usually very cheap and last for years and years. So it is well worth investing in a quality model with good materials.
Among its disadvantages we can list the difficulty of cleaning. Some smaller kettles have a small opening, which makes it difficult for the sponge to enter. In these cases, it is necessary to leave it soaking.
How to choose a salt shaker that does not get wet?
No one deserves to get the salt shaker to use and no salt comes out because it's all wet, right? But there are two tips that can help you with this.
The first is to heat the salt before putting it in the salt shaker. It sounds funny, but it's a fact: put the salt in a pan on low heat for 3 minutes and the magic will happen. However, if your salt shaker is made of plastic, wait until it cools down before putting it in the container, otherwise it may melt.
Another tip to prevent the salt shaker from getting damp is to keep it in a wardrobe when not in use. Salt shakers that are left open in the kitchen get humidity from steam and air.
Which model to choose to match the kitchen decor?
For more modern and sober decorations, the good old stainless steel is a great option. They give a touch of refinement and will look great with the decor of the dining table.
For those who prefer a more charming decoration, with pastel shades, the porcelain salt shaker is a great choice. They are delicate and will make your kitchen even more beautiful and cute.
There are also several colored models, giving a touch of liveliness to your kitchen. You can find salt shakers in many different colours, from bright red to lime green.
When choosing your salt shaker, also think about the decor of your kitchen and other utensils. This will give an extra charm at mealtimes.
Purchase Criteria: The main features to evaluate a salt shaker
Although it sounds simple, you need to consider some features before purchasing your salt shaker. These are some of them:
We will explain them one by one so that no more doubts remain.
Salt shakers are available in different materials. These are the main ones:
- Plastic: Plastic salt shakers are the most common in markets and shops and also tend to be the cheapest. Some types of plastic used in the manufacture of the salt shakers are very fragile, which means that the utensil does not have a long life. However, there are some types of plastic which are more resistant and can last longer.
- Glass: Glass utensils are usually elegant and give a touch of modernity to the kitchen. However, they have the great disadvantage of breaking very easily.
- Stainless Steel: A classic used in many kitchen utensils, stainless steel is practical, resistant and easy to clean. Some models of stainless steel salt shakers are inexpensive and last a long time.
- Ceramic: Provides an irresistible charm, especially porcelain. If you are looking for a salt shaker that beautifies your kitchen, this can be a great option. However, ceramic salt shakers are usually a bit expensive.
- Wood: The wooden salt shakers are beautiful and have a more rustic aspect, ideal for those who have other wooden kitchen utensils. It is also possible to find bamboo salt shakers, which are more ecofriendly.
Type of salt shaker
There are two main types of salt shakers: kitchen and table salt shakers. The two are very important for different functions.
The kitchen salt shaker is essential when making recipes. It is a little bigger and you can take the desired amount of salt with a spoon. As it is covered all the time, it doesn't tend to get damp.
The table salt shaker, on the other hand, is the smallest one that has some holes for salt to come out. They are ideal for salting directly on the plate. Because they are more controlled, they prevent the food from getting too salty.
We already know that there is the kitchen salt shaker and the table one. However, even among them it is possible to find an infinite number of sizes.
The ideal size for you will depend a lot on your needs. If you live with a large family, the ideal is to acquire larger salt shakers, so you don't need to fill them all the time. However, for those who live alone, a smaller salt shaker may be enough.
Before buying your salt shaker, it is essential to check if it is functional enough for your needs.
Some salt shakers, for example, have a rotating lid, making it easier to open and preventing you from losing the lid. Besides, they stay open for as long as you need them to.
Others come with an accessory so you can hang it somewhere, making it more accessible when cooking.
(Featured image source: Bru-nO / Pixabay)