Seasoning our food with salt is an activity that humans have been doing since the beginning of time. This is the only mineral consumed by people, used to enhance the flavour of food. Do you want to know more? Don't miss the information we will be sharing from now on. Let's dig a little deeper. When we taste salt, it dissolves instantly on our tongue, generating a pleasant sensation for the sense of taste.
As you can see, it is a substance that has a significant influence on the gastronomic environment. However, it should be used with caution to avoid excesses. In this edition on seasonings and spices, you will learn everything you need to know about salt. Stay and read each segment with exceptional content prepared especially for you and learn how to choose the best product on the market, among the wide offer for culinary applications.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Salt: Our Choices
- 4 Buying guide: What you need to know about salts
- 5 Buying criteria
- It is a mineral that gives food one of the main flavours detected by the tongue. We are referring to the salty taste. It has been used since ancient times to season dishes, preserve meats, vegetables and make pickles. It is named according to its origin and creation process.
- Common salt, sea salt or Himalayan salt? At first glance it seems like a complicated question, but don't worry about it. Just by knowing the qualities and uses of each one, it will be a piece of cake to choose the one you need. You will find this information below.
- In the last section of our article are the decisive purchasing criteria. It is worth analysing the content offered to you. Why? This is the only way to determine whether a type of salt is suitable for the use you have in mind. Or, on the contrary, you would be better off buying a different one.
The Best Salt: Our Choices
Buying guide: What you need to know about salts
How to take home the ultimate edible condiment? When in doubt, we advise you to follow this guide prepared exclusively for those who are interested in buying salts. From now on, you will embark on a culinary journey through the characteristics and advantages of this spice.
What is salt and what are its benefits?
Moreover, cooking enthusiasts, amateurs or professionals, use it in their recipes. At the same time, they appreciate the variety of existing grains. Do you want to feel a special taste on your palate? Experience a unique experience by adding an incomparable finishing touch to sophisticated dishes. After all, salt is the perfect culinary companion for every day. Naturally, it is available in various forms from all over the world.
Common, sea or Himalayan salt - what should you pay attention to?
- Common. It is popularly known as table salt. How to identify it? Well, it is composed of many fine crystallised grains, which are sold to consumers in commercial establishments. In addition, it is used for daily seasoning in any kitchen. It goes through an industrial refining process where the grains are reduced in size so that they can come out through the holes in the salt shaker. It is an inexpensive, affordable spice. It is also marketed in the form of irregular, whitish crystals, with iodine and fluorine.
- Marine. Evidently it comes from the sea. It goes through a natural creation process involving wind, sun and water. So its final result is totally sustainable. At first sight it is thicker than the common one. In gastronomic terms, we say that it provides an extra touch of flavour. It has a different, uneven structure. It comes refined or unrefined. The latter offers a wide range of different sizes. For example, you will find sea salt for everyday use, and coarse variables for brine, professional milling or haute cuisine.
- Himalayan. Nowadays it is believed to be the most beneficial variety for health, as it enjoys culinary and therapeutic benefits. Organic presentations come with 84 additional minerals. These include copper, iron and potassium, to name a few. It is unique in its kind due to its characteristic pink colour. It is classified as rock salt and originates from Pakistan, specifically from the Punjab region, where there are mines below sea level. This allows it to be purer.
|Composition||Sodium Chloride||Various minerals||84 minerals|
|Health benefits||No health benefits||Scarce||Abundant|
Let yourself be tempted by the certainty of choosing a good product. How? It's very easy. Just pay attention to the aspects we show you in the last section of our article and select the right one. Take a look at what follows and don't waste time looking for the right seasoning salts.
When it comes to presentation or format, it doesn't hurt to get a little commercial guidance. You'll see a lot of them during your research. Fortunately for consumers, this essential culinary condiment is adaptable to all cooking application needs.
- Block. Designed for lovers of haute cuisine. Purchase a single block of Himalayan or sea salt. It will serve you to cook meats, fish and vegetables at the right seasoning point. Don't lose sight of the fact that its extraction is totally ecological, and represents a new form of culinary art.
- Fleur de sel. If you are looking for a gourmet salt, then you should consider this alternative. Use it to season and add an elegant touch to meats, for example. On the other hand, it is an excellent recommendation for people who prefer a diet where food is obtained in an artisanal way.
- Fine. It is essential to have this format among the dressing options. But first, you should think that it is a product that comes from an industrialised process. Buying it will help you to fill the salt shakers that are usually placed on the table, and to season the food once it is ready.
- Coarse. Opt for this format to enhance the taste of food, preserve it for long periods of time and even decorate it. It fulfils the same function if you just want to surprise your guests at home or if you have a restaurant. We advise you to store it in a dry place so that it does not get damp.
- Mixed: Do you like to experiment with flavours? This is an excellent option for lovers of culinary innovation. For example, choose salt in combination with other spices to give your food a unique taste. Check whether you want a single pack or a set of salts as a gift.
Beyond the obvious, have you ever wondered where salt comes from? In this factor we will clarify what the origin is. It will most likely help you to select one over the other according to the method used to make it. After all, understanding where it comes from is important to some.
- Laboratories. There are chemical production centres that make salt. You see, if you are indifferent as to the origin of your dressing, then invest in a packet of table salt. As it is widely and cheaply sold in commercial supplies and on websites, you will have no trouble getting it.
- Mar. Do you want salts obtained by evaporating water? If your answer is yes, you probably prefer 100% natural processes. Check the product description to see if it meets this criterion. If so, feel free to add it to your shopping cart and use it for seasoning or preserving.
- Mines or rocks. We suggest you determine if the product was purchased from mines below sea level. If you practice the healthy trend, this provenance is perfect for you. Please note that it tends to have a higher price compared to the others, due to the nature of its procurement.
There are notable differences in image and applications, depending on the natural or industrial treatment used to achieve the final result that arrives on your table. Take a good look at the following and determine which of the two you feel more comfortable with. This, taking into account that it will influence your health in the medium term.
- Natural. Make sure that the product you take home is Kosher certified or has an organic guarantee. This way you will know that it was obtained through a natural process, free of chemicals, additives and pure minerals. This is a special suggestion for the health-conscious.
- Industrial. Carefully investigate which chemical industrialisation processes the salt you are attracted to has undergone. For example, if herbs, minerals have been added, or if its grain has been diminished and bleached for crystallisation. Once purchased, please consume it in moderation on a daily basis.
This versatile mineral comes in a variety of packages. Now, the important thing to know is how do you require it, which one suits the preparations you have in mind? With this clear, you can take the next step: buying the ideal salt.
Clear your doubts by evaluating this material. Do you want to have an easy-to-use packaging at hand? Then our recommendation is that you take a bag of salt with a magic zip. You can place it in any space in the kitchen without spilling the contents inside. Just remember to keep it away from the fire so that it doesn't get damaged.
Glass flask. If you are one of those with stylish tastes, you could do with a Himalayan salt in a distinguished glass container. We suggest this option as most of them have an integrated grinder. In other words, not only does it give the product an elegant look, but it also allows you to grind it.
Plastic packaging - looking for a common packaging? Go for salt in the typical recyclable plastic container. It's a casual design that fits in anywhere. Take advantage of the double dispenser on the top, as it will help you distribute common or fine salt in just the right amount, for example.
(Featured image photo: Pompi/ pixabay.com)