We know that hot days are approaching, being the ideal time to wear lighter and more comfortable clothes. Footwear is not left behind, as sandals are one of the best options to go for a summer look, refreshing and above all, friendly with our feet. Shoes are essential products that everyone should have in their wardrobe. However, sandals have become very popular and have been one of the main footwear for many centuries, due to their comfort and practicality.
Sometimes it seems like a simple thing to choose, but it can become a complicated task. We want to help you choose the best sandals by showing you the different models that exist, their main features and functions. After reading this buying guide, you will not only know which ones are the best, but you will also be able to identify the factors you can compare, where to buy them and their value. Don't miss it!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 The Best Sandals: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Buying criteria
The most important facts
- Sandals are one of the most comfortable shoes we can find. However, there is so much variety on the market that finding your ideal type of sandal can be quite a challenge. Depending on your personal style you may tend to choose one type over another.
- Sandals often get us out of trouble when we don't know what to wear. They are key elements in our attire both in special events during the day and on our beach holidays. We agree that the ideal is to feel good in every shoe, regardless of the style of the sandals.
- This type of footwear is very simple, but not only offers protection, but is also a reflection of a carefree and fun outfit. Depending on the type of sandal you wear, you can evoke a beachy, sexy, casual or casual vibe. Know the keys to a good pair of sandals and choose the best ones without despairing in the attempt.
The Best Sandals: Our Picks
What are sandals and what are their advantages?
We can find them in different colours and styles according to the fashion of the moment. This footwear is mostly used by women. However, in Europe it is common for men to wear sandals. Their main advantage is the comfort they offer. It is a simple but versatile shoe, which can go very well with casual and casual clothes depending on the style. Choosing the best sandals for your outfit can be a challenge. We invite you to know their characteristics here.
Beach, flat, wedge or strappy sandals - what to look out for?
All four types of this product have their strong points. The main difference lies in aspects such as the style, number of straps, the height, the use and the materials that they can be made of. Below we will talk more about each of them:
Beach: it is a very simple type of sandal that is mostly used in the summer. As they have a simple design, they do not offer great cushioning to the foot, which is almost completely uncovered. They are usually very cheap.
Flat: these sandals are very versatile, as their design combines perfectly with casual and informal styles. They are perfect for strolling around town or on the beach during the summer and are a bit more resistant.
Wedge: these are the typical sandals with a platform heel made of cork or embroidered with lace. Ideal for those who like to combine casual styles with colourful textile designs. Despite their height, they are quite comfortable due to the thickness of the platform.
Strappy: this model of sandals is characterised by offering great coverage around the foot through a series of straps. They are not very high but they add a lot of style to any outfit. They are usually worn with shorts, skirts or dresses.
|Beach shoes||Flat shoes||Wedge shoes||Strappy shoes|
|Style||The simplest style||The sole is a little thicker and cushioning||Involves more colours and prints||Roman air and earthy colours.|
|Number of straps||Single V-shaped strap for the thumb||Single strap around the ankle and toe||One strap holding the ankle||Many straps going up the leg.|
|Height||Sole 1 cm||Max 2 cm||Up to 10 cm.||Max 2 cm sole.|
|Use||Beach or home use.||Long walks||Formal and informal events.||Walks and casual events.|
|Materials||Rubber or rubber||Cork.||Esparto, wood or border.||Plastic, leather or semi-leather.|
How much does a pair of sandals cost?
When choosing the best sandals, it is normal that we are not sure what criteria to take into account. In addition, you should always choose a product of excellent quality and origin, as you will use them frequently. In that case, consider the following aspects:
The material our sandals are made of is usually a determining factor not only in their price but also in their quality and comfort. We know that the cheapest models of sandals are made of simple materials such as plastic. However, more sophisticated models incorporate materials such as textile, leather or leather. These are some of the most common materials used in the manufacture of sandal soles:
- Leather: The sole is designed to be flexible, lightweight and abrasion resistant. It keeps your feet cool and breathes better.
- Rubber: a slightly heavy material but is resistant to flexion and abrasion, has excellent grip, is non-slip and resists wear quite well.
- Crepe: withstands abrasion but wears easily. They insulate against temperatures.
- PVC soles: heavy and not very flexible, they do not withstand continuous use and are therefore the cheapest on the market.
- TPU soles: they contain thermoplastic polyurethane and are comfortable, flexible, non-slip and provide cushioning.
This is one of the most comfortable shoes available. However, to know how comfortable a pair of sandals is, consider the following factors:
- Support straps: sandals that have straps that cover the ankle will be much more stable than those that only cover the toe area. However, if your foot tends to be wide, make sure these straps don't hold the foot too tightly because you'll end up with annoying red marks at the end of the day.
- Insole: it should provide comfort, allowing for proper foot support to prevent sweat from causing irritation or slipping and affecting your walk.
- Weight: look for sandals with a light sole or heel to increase your comfort.
- Sole: Not too thin; a little thickness is ideal for stability and cushioning. Rough and slip-resistant soles are also a plus for your comfort.
- Height: Completely flat sandals make you feel any unevenness when you step. A little bit of heel will be much more comfortable when walking and will also stylize your image.
Size and Fit
You need to be very careful and accurate when choosing your sandal sizes. Wearing shoes that are too big or too small can result in uncomfortable foot pain. On the other hand, if they fit too tightly, your feet will stick out and this will also be very uncomfortable. To avoid this, always make sure that your sandals fit a little bit bigger, since our feet tend to be wider during the summer. To know your exact size you should do the following:
- Place your foot on a sheet of paper on the floor.
- Measure the distance from your heel to the tip of your longest toe.
- This will be your overall shoe size.
For example, if your foot measures 23 cm, a size 23 would be the recommended size to choose a pair of sandals. If you buy online, check that the size scale is the one you usually use. This way you can avoid common mistakes between the European and national sizing systems.
Image source: Tookapic/ Pixabay.com