Howdy!. The shirt is the most iconic garment of the man or gentleman and therefore one of the most sought after to renew wardrobe, go to a meeting or wear daily.
There are many things that make a shirt, to be one of the best so we took the task of telling you in this review. Have you ever bought a shirt that didn't fit you, even though you thought it would?
Or maybe you bought one that fit you strangely from the collar and sleeves? Worry no more, we're going to explain what you need to know about shirts so you can always look like a gentleman in any situation you find yourself in.
We make sure that you are always well informed about all the products you are interested in, such as the shirt. You can count on the best possible review every time you visit our website. Anyway, we know you already want to know more about this garment, so stay with us and let's get to the review!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Shirts: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Buying criteria: factors that allow you to compare and rate the different models of Product
- The shirt is one of the most popular and worn men's garments. It serves to formalise a person's style, but also to give him personality. One advantage of shirts is that they are extremely light and comfortable.
- There are different types of shirts and each is used in different situations. Among these are dress shirts, casual shirts, guayaberas and denim shirts. There is no reason not to be well dressed for any meeting.
- We recommend considering some factors before making your purchase such as the cut of the shirt, what fabrics and compositions it is made of, the type of collar and the design of the shirt. Taking these into consideration your purchase will be more successful.
The Best Shirts: Our Picks
Here we will explain what a shirt is and what its characteristics are, as well as its advantages, price and where to buy it. In other words, everything you need to guide you in your purchase. Take note of this information so that when you are choosing a model you know exactly what to look for and what to omit.
What is the shirt and what are its advantages?
The shirt is the most iconic, most worn and most bought male garment of the gender. That's right, men, we all have at least one shirt... Why? Because it's basic, whether you need it to look formal, semi-formal or just more personality, this product is a must in every man's wardrobe. The main advantage of the shirt is that it gives you personality and presence in any context, be it a meal, work or a date.
The shirt also goes great with a jacket, jumper or waistcoat, so wearing it allows you to explore different facets and versions of yourself. Don't be afraid and play with your styles. Another advantage of the shirt is that it is an extremely lightweight garment that you barely feel the weight when wearing it and you won't feel it for most of the day.
This is just great because a lot of times, especially when it's hot, clothes tend to weigh us down and the shirt being so light will not make us feel that. One disadvantage is that it wrinkles a lot due to the compositions that multiple shirts are made of leaving you with only one or maximum two chances to wear it before washing and ironing.
Nothing uglier than a completely wrinkled shirt, wearing one like this would make you look sloppy and dirty.
Dress, casual, denim and guayabera - what should you pay attention to?
There are different types of shirts, each one designed for different meetings and occasions, some more formal than others. In general, there are four types of shirts: dress, sport, denim and guayabera. Depending on which one you wear, you will be in accordance with the meeting or situation at hand.
- Dress shirt. This type of shirt is the one worn with formal clothes or also known as a dress shirt. It's always tied and the collar is made to hide part of the tie easily. It is used when you are going to wear a suit to a formal meeting such as a wedding or graduation. There are plain ties and ties with designs such as figures, stripes and fine checks.
- Sport. The sport shirt is the one that is used for all the moments of the day except formal meetings. This shirt usually has much more aggressive designs, as well as bolder colours. It can be worn with or without depending on the wearer's taste and what he/she is wearing at the time.
- Denim. The cowboy shirt is one that, as its name suggests, is worn in the outskirts of the capital and especially in the provinces where sales are very high. This shirt has the particularity of having large check designs and fabrics such as polyester, cotton, flannel and wool are used to make them.
- Guayabera. Unlike the denim shirt used in the countryside, the guayabera is the formal shirt of hot, coastal places. Since it is not possible to wear a dress shirt, tie and jacket, people in hot places wear the guayabera, which is made of linen, as a formal garment. Moreover, the embroidery is spectacular.
|Design||Plain, small squares, fine lines and figures||Figures, large and small squares, lines in any direction large and small checks, lines in any direction, button down and regular||Large checks, plains and bags with snaps||Embroidery and handcrafted, multiple bags|
|Fabrics||Cotton, polyester||Cotton, polyester and elastane||Cotton polyester||Linen and polyester|
|Sleeve||Long||Short and long||Long||Short and long|
|Use||Formal meetings e.g., wedding graduation||Informal meetings||Formal wear||Formal wear|
How to choose the right size?
Choosing the right size in a shirt is said to be easy but many people end up choosing the wrong shirt because they didn't know their exact size. The first thing you should know is that there are two ways of looking at the size of a shirt, the size of sport shirts and the size of dress shirts. What is each one?
- Sport size. There is not much science here, the size of sport shirts will always be divided into four sizes: small, medium, large and extra large. The small size is designed for very thin or short people, the medium size for the average, the large and the extra large for people with more body mass.
- Dress size. It goes by our arm and neck measurements in cm. The neck is measured with the following specifications 14.5, 15, 15.5, 16, 16.5, 17, 17.5, 18. That is the measurement of the neck in cm. And it is ordered with sleeve 2, 3, 4 or 5, the higher the number the longer the sleeve. Before buying a dress shirt, we recommend measuring the neck and arms.
Buying criteria: factors that allow you to compare and rate the different models of Product
Finally, we will go through the different factors you need to consider when choosing the shirt you like the most. It is very important that you remember this information as it can make the difference between being happy with your purchase or ending up dissatisfied with it.
- Fabric and composition
Currently there are two types of cut in men's shirts, the regular or classic cut, more used by adults and older adults and the slim fit cut which is a reduced cut that allows the shirt to be very close to the body. Does this matter? Yes, it does, and we'll explain it to you now.
- Regular cut. This cut has been the standard men's shirt size for decades. Both the sides and the sleeves have extra fabric, which makes the person look more robust or less tight. This cut is very flattering for men with the famous belly, because it hides it beautifully.
- Slim fit. The slim fit cut is basically a reduction of fabric on the sides, back and sleeves of the shirt, this makes the shirt fit close to the body almost clinging to it. This cut is very popular with youth and young adults due to the slimming trend in clothing in general.
Fabric and composition
Another factor you need to consider is the fabric and composition your shirt is made of, as we mentioned earlier in the review the busiest fabrics are cotton, polyester, elastane and linen. The wearer's experience with the shirt will vary greatly from the fabric it has, from the texture to the coolness it can provide.
- Cotton. 100% cotton shirts are extremely cool and lightweight. This fabric is very popular among users because it does not rub against the skin, on the contrary, it is very soft to the touch. The negative point of this fabric is that it wrinkles very easily.
- Polyester. Unlike cotton, this is a much harder fabric and not so soft against the skin. However, shirts with polyester have more years of life, wrinkle less and cover more when it is cold.
- Linen. Linen is the finest fabric a shirt can be made of. The freshness you feel is unmatched and the feel is simply exquisite. The only problem is the ease with which it wrinkles, it's no wonder they say that even air wrinkles linen. It's also very transparent so you'll want to keep that in mind.
The design of the shirt is something fundamental when it comes to buying it, it all comes down to how do certain patterns suit you and what do you want the shirt for? The most common patterns are stripes, checks and figures. But we all look better in one design than another.
- Stripes. Horizontal stripes create volume and make a wide perspective of how your body looks. The same applies to thick lines, so it is always recommended to buy shirts with thin stripes in a vertical position. This will make you look taller and slimmer.
- Plaid. There are two types of plaid, large and very small, and each sends a different message. Large checks look better on slim people who want to look fuller, while the opposite is true for small checks.
- Figures. These can be dots, small lines, triangles, geometric figures or any possible graphic element. This design is very popular for sport shirts and is generally accepted by users.
Finally, we have the collar and it is another interesting point to address because it is from the collar that you can feel in the seventies or nowadays. Long collars give a message of antiquity, short collars give a message of current fashion, mao collars and button down collars give another dimension to the shirt. Let's see how.
- Long collar. Approximately 10-15cm from collar to tip. Used on older shirts or shirts that look like they were cut decades ago. This collar is no longer used in shirt production, but we'll never forget those nights at the disco with the white coat and the collar of our shirts on the outside, will we?
- Short collar. Approximately 5cm-7cm from collar to tip. These collars are more commonly used nowadays and allow less deformation of the collar components. Their short reach makes it difficult to use very thick ties.
- Mao collar. Or in other words, no collar. Shirts with a Mao collar have a small rise at the level of the collar with the rest omitted. This collar is used on linen shirts or even guayaberas for the freedom of movement it provides.
- Button-down collar. This is nothing more than a normal collar with two slits at the ends of the collar for buttoning. This means that the collar of the shirt does not move and keeps its shape regardless of movement or outside conditions. So now you know, the next time you are about to buy a shirt, remember what you have seen in this review so you can make your purchase in the best way. We sincerely hope that you'll soon be wearing that shirt you love so much and that you'll be looking your best in it. We look forward to seeing you in our next review, see you next time!
(Featured image photo: marvic / 123rf.com)