Your hair is weak and dull, your nails are brittle and you have problems with impure skin? This could be due to a silicon deficiency, which you can possibly get under control with silica supplementation. Silica is a popular remedy for silicon deficiency. In this article we want to prepare you for the purchase and use of silica. For this purpose, we have compared different preparations with each other and listed criteria that you should consider when buying. You will also find answers to many questions about silica.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 The Best Silica: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for silica
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about silica answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
The most important facts
- Siliceous earth (silicea terra) is extracted from the shell of fossil algae, which consist mainly of silicon. You can buy silica in many different forms. It is neither available on prescription nor in pharmacies.
- Depending on the area of application and personal preference, you can choose between ready-to-use forms or silica powder that you may have to process first.
- When buying silica, you should pay attention to the relationship between price and active ingredient concentration. There are also products that are only intended for a specific area of application.
The Best Silica: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for silica
In order for you to be able to buy the silica product that suits you best, we would like to present you with the most important buying criteria that you should consider and that will make your decision easier:
In the following, we explain in more detail what you need to look out for in these buying criteria so that you can make a safe decision.
Silica can be used in many different forms. First and foremost, you should consider whether you want to use the silica product externally or internally, because not every product is suitable for internal use. You can buy it in the form of face masks, capsules, (chewing) tablets, gel, ointment, lozenges, powder, toothpaste or nail varnish.
Additives and supplements
There are many ways to buy silica other than in its pure form. It is not uncommon to find additives or supplements in the preparations. The most common combinations are:
- Siliceous earth + iron
- Siliceous earth + biotin
- Siliceous earth + zinc
- Siliceous earth + biotin + zinc
- Silica + Calcium
Zinc can also be found in large quantities in oatmeal and matcha powder is a varied source of calcium. However, you should make sure that your silica product is not enriched with quartz or cristobalite. If inhaled, these two minerals can promote the development of lung tumours. And it is certainly not healthy to ingest them either, as they are not unjustifiably considered hazardous substances in certain industries.
Concentration of active ingredients
When making your purchase, you should definitely compare the active ingredient concentration in mg of the individual products. If you choose a product with a very low concentration of active ingredients and therefore have to take a large amount of the product every day to reach the recommended daily dose, you will have to pay a higher price. On the other hand, you should also make sure that the concentration of active ingredients is not higher than the recommended daily dose, so that excess silicon can be deposited in your body.
Silica in its pure form is gluten-free, lactose-free and vegan. It is therefore suitable for many diets. You can also buy it in organic quality. In this case, you have to pay attention to the certified organic seal. However, especially when buying silica in capsules, you should bear in mind that they are usually made from animal gelatine. You will always find information on this in the product description.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about silica answered in detail
Here we answer some frequently asked questions about silica so that you can buy your silica product well informed.
What is silica?
This element is in almost every cell of your body and helps it metabolise. However, it cannot be produced by the body itself, which is why it may make sense for you to take silica in addition.
How should silica be taken?
How much does silica cost?
|dosage form||approximate price|
|capsules||0,03€-0,08€ / capsule|
|powder||12,90€-41,55€ / kilogram|
|gel||24,17€-53,45€ / litre|
What can silica help with?
- accelerates the healing of skin wounds
- impure skin
- Hair loss, shine and strength
- strengthens connective tissue
- strengthens bones and cartilage
- strengthens brittle fingernails
- has an anti-inflammatory effect
- soothes irritations in the stomach and intestines, similar to fennel seed
- can also be used for animals
What side effects can occur when taking silica?
Silica is a miracle worker because of its range of effects, whether it's your skin, your bones, your hair, or your horse's. Because you can buy it in so many different forms, it is super versatile. You can buy silica powder to try out different options at home. For your next trip, buy ready-to-use silica mask and toothpaste enriched with silica. It is very important that you pay attention to the concentration of active ingredients when buying. But it is even more important that you make sure that your choice does not include preparations enriched with quartz or cristobalite.
(Cover photo: unsplash / averie woodard)