Hello and Welcome! In this fashion related article, we will be discussing silver chains. A very versatile element that will serve to complement our style no matter if it is a formal or casual occasion.
Silver chains are an accessory that for centuries has been used to adorn our appearance because they make us look elegant and concerned about our appearance. Nowadays there is an infinite number of designs to choose from, giving us a wide range of options, for all styles and people.
In the following article, we want to give you all the help you need to get to know this product in its entirety. Its prices, points of purchase and of course we will not leave out the main details that will help you to compare the different models on the market and make the choice of the silver chain that suits you best.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Silver Chains: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Buying criteria: factors that allow you to compare and rate the different models of silver necklaces
- A silver chain is an accessory used as a necklace. It is made up of links in the shape of interlocking or linked rings. It has the advantage of helping us to stylise and frame our face and look good. Moreover, as it is made of silver, it is a hypoallergenic material that will not cause irritation or allergies.
- There are as many types of silver chains as there are places in the world. If you are just starting out in the world of accessories, we recommend you consider the two best-selling types of silver chains on the market. It can be a sailor style cable or rope design, depending on your personal style and expectations.
- If you can't decide which type of silver chain to choose, we recommend you to compare the different models available on the market according to the size that best suits your body and the occasion, the quality of the silver, the type of clasp and of course consider the differences between a men's or women's chain.
The Best Silver Chains: Our Picks
Many times we discard a product simply because we have chosen it according to its design and then we realise that it was not the best option. So that this does not happen to you, we have created this buying guide, where we will go into detail about the aspects to know about silver chains so you can choose the one that really meets your needs.
What is a silver chain and what are its advantages?
It is an accessory that is worn around the neck for adornment. It is available in a wide variety of sizes, designs and styles to match and complement your outfit in any occasion. In addition, being made of silver, they are hypoallergenic and beneficial to your health.
This accessory is highly sought after in the world of jewellery because it is easy to combine with clothing and other accessories such as earrings or hairstyles. Precisely because it frames the face and highlights your features, as well as being comfortable and light to wear, it can also be used as a pendant or charm.
Silver cable or rope chains - what should you look out for?
Silver chains come in an almost infinite variety of designs. On this occasion we will show you three of the most commercially available designs worldwide according to the appearance of their links and the weave of the chain in general.
- Cable. It is the most known and oldest in jewellery. It consists of a series of symmetrical rings linked together. This chain is very light and flexible. It also has many variations and diameters for every occasion. It was originally a design for men, but today it has been adapted for women with shorter links and lengths.
- Rope/rope. This design was originally intended for the addition of a pendant or charm. They were therefore larger in size to support the weight of this accessory. Its shape is identical to an ordinary rope, but being made of silver gives it an elegant and shiny look. Its shape helps it to be flexible and light to wear.
|Size||1 mm to 7 mm||From 1.5 mm to 8 mm|
|Design||Imitation of nautical marine chains||Woven and intertwined links in the shape of rope|
|Design variations||Figaro chain, Cuban chain||Snake chain, mouse tail, herringbone.|
Buying criteria: factors that allow you to compare and rate the different models of silver necklaces
As you may have noticed, a silver chain is much more than a simple accessory. That's why it is very important to know all the factors that will help you to compare the different models on the market. Here are the four key factors that will help you make the right choice.
As we have already mentioned, silver chains are available in a wide range of designs and types. For this very reason, some types and denominations are associated with certain sizes or lengths. Here, we will highlight and detail the most popular sizes, along with a brief description.
|Choker||35 cm||Fitted tightly around the neck, ideal for large and plunging necklines.|
|Choker||40 cm||Sits tightly below the throat, goes with any neckline.|
|Princess||45 cm||Sits below the collarbone, ideal for adding a pendant and is worn with deep and high necklines.|
|Matinee||50 cm||Hangs in a V shape below the neckline. Ideal for round necklines and a formal or casual outfit.|
|Rope||60 cm or more||Falls below the bust and is recommended for use in situations where elegance is required.|
Although we know we are talking about silver chains, they can be very easy to confuse with other similar looking materials. Many times we want to make a gift or buy a product and certain terms appear that make the task even more difficult. In silver chains we can find the following concepts:
- Sterling silver. It is the element in its pure state. It has a very shiny appearance and is very malleable, for this reason it needs to be hardened with another metal which is usually copper. After this process, which does not affect the appearance or the quality of the silver, the chain will be much more resistant.
- Plating. When plating is done, it means that the chain has been made of another metal, which is coated with silver, in a handmade way. It is a little cheaper, but lasts less. This process can only be done on smooth chains, without ornaments or textures, otherwise the quality of the work is lost.
- Coating. The plated chains undergo a process similar to plating, the difference is that this is an electro-chemical process in which a layer of silver of different thickness, minimum 2mm, is added. The thicker the silver layer, the longer the chain will last and the longer it will take to lose silver layers.
The type of clasp is crucial when choosing your silver chain as it will make it easier to use. We recommend considering the size of your chain, these should be consistent to make it easy to wear the product and at the same time comfortable and lightweight to avoid neck discomfort when wearing the chain.
- Reasa. It is very common especially in thinner chains that are to add a pendant. It is very small and requires precision. It consists of a hollow ring containing an inner lever that opens and closes when you move it. On the other side there is another ring that joins with the previous one to close the chain.
- Box lock. This is one of the easiest to use. It consists of two boxes, one is inserted into the other and automatically adjusted. To open it, the lever is pressed and the boxes can be separated. It is usually seen on thicker or men's chains, although due to its simplicity it has been adapted to different sizes.
- Duck. The duck clasp is very easy to use as it only consists of a lever that engages with the two ends of the chain and closes. Unfortunately, it loses its firmness and requires more maintenance and constant adjustment.
As strange as it sounds, it is very difficult to choose between a silver chain for men and a silver chain for women. Although at first glance they may look the same or very similar, they have certain details that differentiate them. So that you don't buy the wrong chain, pay attention to their main characteristics.
- Men's. Men's silver chains usually have a uniform and robust design. Their finishes are structured and the links are usually thicker. They also stand out for their metallic colours, without other decorations. They measure between 40 and 80 cm.
- Women's. In the case of women, the finishes are much finer, the structures thinner and more delicate. They are also much more likely to contain some other design, floral or vegetal decoration. These chains are between 35 and 60 cm long.
(Featured image photo: kwangmoo / 123rf.com)