In 1945, Japan was devastated after the end of the Second World War. To try to rebuild the country, several companies emerged, and one of them was Sony. This brand is still successful today and has a complete line of electronic products.
Among them is the Sony camcorder and it is about it that we will talk today on TechReviews. The video camera Sony is responsible for eternalizing moments, and thanks to the technologies used in its manufacture produces high quality images. It comes in several models. Each one of them adapts to a different way of using it and during this article we will present you everything about them.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Sony Camcorder: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Purchase criteria: Factors to compare Sony camcorder options
- Sony camcorders are divided into professional camcorder models, handcans, i.e. handheld cameras, and action cameras.
- The most advanced versions of the brand produce 4K quality footage.
- Sony camcorders have a relatively high value and the simplest models cost from R$1,200, on average.
The Best Sony Camcorder: Our Picks
What's different about the Sony camcorder?
Another plus is that Sony has launched the first shoulder-mounted camcorder with a global shutter. This camera eliminates flash streaks and the "jello" effect, setting a new standard in 4K, HDR and HD image quality.
In addition, Sony camcorders are equipped with an image stabilisation system and wi-fi connectivity. However, all this comes at a price and this is a disadvantage of this product. Even if it is not among the most expensive ones on the market, Sony camcorders have a high value.
What are Sony's camcorder lines?
- 4K Specialist: In this category are shoulder and handheld cameras with superior image quality, reaching 4K. These are mainly indicated for professional use.
- 4K Casual: The camcorders that are part of this line are handheld models that also capture images in 4K. They can be used for professional or home use.
- HD Casual: This category comprises Sony camcorders that record at Full HD image quality.
- Adventure & Travel: This category includes Sony's action cameras, which are more compact, rugged and ideal for outdoor recording.
Are Sony cameras waterproof?
What are the main accessories for Sony camcorder?
There are also microphones, which capture audio more effectively, and tripods, which give more stability to the filming. The brand also manufactures a carrying case for Sony camcorders. This way, it is possible to take the camera everywhere without the risk of breaking it.
What can a Sony camcorder do that a camera cannot?
If you are looking for a product with these characteristics, then this is the best option. The common cameras, on the other hand, do not have so much investment in technology for this purpose, adapting well only for simpler recordings.
How to transfer videos from Sony camcorder to the computer?
- While the camera is switched off, connect it to your computer using the USB cable. Then switch the camera on.
- If this is the first time the camera is connected to the computer, it will automatically install the driver for the transfer.
- Once this is done, you will see an automatic playback window on the computer screen. Simply click on the option "Import images and videos using Windows".
- In the "Import Images and Videos" window, click on "Import Settings" and then on the "Browse" button.
- At this point select the location on the computer where you want to store the files and click Ok.
- Next, you will see a new dialogue box called "Import Images and Videos". In it click the Ok button and then hit the "Import" button for the transfer to take place.
Purchase criteria: Factors to compare Sony camcorder options
All Sony camcorder models have a great performance, but each one is suitable for a different type of need. This way, it is essential to make an accurate choice and to help you with this, we have separated below everything that you should analyze before buying.
Now we will explain each of these topics.
The quality of the image that will be captured by the Sony camcorder is its most important point. The camcorder models of the brand capture images with two resolutions: full HD and 4K. Full HD is the type of resolution that precedes 4K, but it has high sharpness and quality, being a good option even for professional filming. On the other hand, those looking for an image with superior quality should invest in 4K, since this is the latest technology that guarantees unparalleled results.
Mode of use
When choosing a Sony camcorder, it is essential to keep in mind in which situations or for which purposes it will be used. Shoulder models are the largest and are often used for recording studio content. They are heavier and require a great effort from the person responsible for filming. Handheld cameras, on the other hand, are a good option for outdoor recordings and are smaller in size and lighter in weight.
Thus, they are ideal to be taken to various places. Another variation is indicated for those who like to record in motion and in adventurous situations. These are the action cameras, which are small in size and have various accessories to be placed on helmets, handlebars and more.
Another feature that requires attention when buying a Sony camcorder is its battery life. There are options of the brand that have batteries that last for up to 6 hours of recording, while others support a little less than that.
Thus, those who do not have extra batteries should look for a model that has good autonomy. Besides, you should know that the battery level indicator makes an estimate of its duration and the real durability varies according to how the camera operates. Therefore, never rely fully on it.
To achieve good quality images, the camcorder must have an efficient lighting system. This system is responsible for guaranteeing the capacity of the Sony camcorder to record in environments with little light. Some models of the brand are more geared towards this.
An example are the action cameras, which have sensors that can capture images even in dark places. So, if you need a camera that performs well when there is little natural light, look for these options.
(Featured image source: Knelstrom ltd / Pexels)