Welcome to ReviewBox Brazil, your complete online guide to buying automotive parts. Is the spark weak when you turn on the ignition and there are problems starting your car? Maybe you need a new spark plug. Except you can't take just any spark plug just because the price is cheap. Besides questions about compatibility, there are some important details to consider when looking for the best deals on the market. Truth be told: those who do not know much about mechanics can encounter some difficulties when searching for the best offers. For this reason, reading this article is indispensable for you to excel when buying the product.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 First things first
- 3 Spark Plug: Our Picks
- 4 Buying guide
- 5 Buying criteria: how to compare spark plug models
First things first
- Bosch and NGK are the best spark plug brands.
- Do not confuse spark plugs for chainsaw engines with automotive engine models.
- Platinum and iridium spark plugs last longer and conduct energy better.
Spark Plug: Our Picks
What is a spark plug and what is it used for?
Always check the owner's manual, the service manual or even the website of the spark plug manufacturer to identify, for example, which is the proper model for the vehicle that is being repaired". Antonio Eduardo Rosendo dos Santos, Brazilian, professor of mechanics at Senai-SP.
Spark plugs were invented by Bosch in 1902.
How long does a spark plug last?
What are the advantages of a spark plug?
Do not confuse: Spark plug for vehicles or chainsaws?
- Spark plug for vehicles: It has an average length of 12 centimeters, with a variation of one or another centimeter according to the manufacturer's brand. This product is available in kits of several units that depend more on the compatibility of the type of fuel that feeds the engine.
- Spark plug for chainsaws: Most of the time it is a production sold by units, although there are some kits. It weighs from 300 to up to 600 grams, depending on the choice of brand, with a length of 16 centimetres, approximately.
Better absorb in your mind the differences of the two products:
|Vehicle spark plug||Chainsaw spark plug|
|Fuel system compatibility||More||Less|
How much does a spark plug cost?
Where to buy a spark plug?
Buying criteria: how to compare spark plug models
There is no point in you thinking about tuning up your car or motorbike engine without also considering the purchase of a spark plug that is resistant and powerful in generating sparks. The ideas listed below can guide you in finding the perfect choice:
Don't stop reading here. Read on to find out more about the definitions of the purchasing criteria:
You can select between the lowest price option or the models with high quality material. Unravel the mysteries of each of the main material versions:
- Copper spark plug: A flexible product for use in many different conditions, from popular car engines to tuned vehicle motoring. They are editions that cost less than a motorbike lock.
- Silver spark plug: A resistant, medium-priced and long-lasting production. It is among the most popular versions today. It stands out for its excellent energy conduction to generate sparks.
- Iridium spark plug: These versions conduct electricity better, last longer and are resistant. Due to its high resistance at the maximum melting point (2454°C), it does not require as much voltage to work properly.
Keep an eye on the table showing the differences between the spark plug types:
|Copper spark plug||Silver spark plug||Iridium spark plug|
|Durability||40,000 km||100,000 km||100,000 km|
|Voltage requirement for spark||More||Medium||Less|
Basically you can find the following types of vehicle spark plugs:
- Conventional spark plug: this is the most basic production that should be used in an engine dependent on the work of the carburetor to function.
- Resistive spark plug: this model is suitable for use in vehicles which run on electronic injection.
- Competitive spark plug: It is engineered to withstand the high performance of race cars or tuned cars that fry tyres.
Although it costs a little more, it is worth giving preference to the spark plug that has 4 electrodes, known because of the 8 points for activating the flames that feed the automotive engine start. In addition to increasing the quality of the engine's performance, this type of model also helps to make the ignition go faster.
The first point that you should be careful is with regards to the conformity of the spark plug with your car model. Actually, when buying online and reading the descriptions it is easier to know if the advertised offers are compatible with the year and the vehicle. A second important aspect is to understand if there is compatibility of the spark plug offer to the fuel type of the automotive. (Featured image source: dezay/ 123rf.com)