The table fan is among the most popular tools for getting through the hot summertime. Its task? To provide us with refreshment. Its main advantages? It is space-saving and some are relatively mobile and quiet. There are several types of table fans depending on the type of power supply as well as the types of additional functions.
With our big table fan test 2021 we want to help you find the right fan for you that meets your needs. For this purpose, we have listed the three basic types of table fans for you and compared them in detail. In addition, we have presented all their advantages and disadvantages to make your purchase decision much easier.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Table Fan: Our Choices
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for table fans.
- 5 Decision: What types of table fans are there and which one is right for you?
- 6 Guide: Frequently asked questions about table fans answered in detail
- To get a feeling of cooling during the hot summer season , the table fan is the perfect candidate - especially if you want it to be relatively mobile.
- There are three types of table fans depending on the power supply: USB-powered, battery-powered and electric-powered or classic table fans. Each of them has its own special features.
- When buying a table fan, you should consider a few important criteria that will make your purchase decision much easier: the power, the functions, the blade diameter and the volume of the device.
The Best Table Fan: Our Choices
Buying and evaluation criteria for table fans.
First, we will show you how different table fans differ from each other. Based on these criteria and your needs, it will be easier for you to decide which table fan is best for you. We have summarised the basic distinguishing features as follows:
These criteria are all somewhat related. After all, they are all part of the same device. But we will tell you their details in detail:
If you want to buy a table fan, you should pay attention to the most important technical data - including the power of the device.
The performance of table fans is designated by the air flow rate (in m³ / h). It shows how many cubic metres of air per hour the rotor can circulate. The speed of the motor, the diameter of the impeller and the characteristics of the blades play an important role.
In addition to the air flow rate, you should also consider the power consumption. This is given in watts. With this you can calculate an estimate of the associated electricity costs. To do this, apply the following formula: Watts x hours: 1,000 x cents per kilowatt. For example, if the price of electricity is 30 cents per kilowatt, a 30-watt fan will cost 4.5 cents every five hours.
Prices vary depending on the number and type of additional functions available. The more functions, the more expensive. The more sophisticated the functions, the more expensive. Here we have listed these various functions for you:
- Oscillation: One of the most important functions of a table fan is oscillation. This allows it to rotate slowly from side to side (left to right and vice versa), producing and distributing wind in different directions in the room. Usually, it can swivel 30 or 45 degrees. However, some manufacturers offer table fans that allow 360° swivels.
- Tilt angle: Some table fans are equipped with a tilt angle. This allows them to be aimed slightly upwards or downwards. But be careful: the higher the speed level, the louder the fan could get - maybe even over 30 dB.
- Speed levels: Another interesting feature is the possibility to regulate the wind speed of the fan, i.e. to adjust it yourself as desired. At least two speed levels are available for this purpose. However, some models also offer three speeds.
- Remote control: In addition, some table fans have a remote control. This allows you to control it comfortably from a limited distance. There is also the sleep mode as well as the timer to schedule the automatic switch-off.
- Humidification: Some devices have an ultrasonic spray that can humidify the air by means of tiny droplets. They are equipped with a water tank that you can simply fill with water. The air humidity can be increased with up to 280 ml of spray mist per hour.
The main advantage of a table fan compared to the others is that it takes up less space. You can find some with a blade diameter of only 10 cm and some with 40 cm. However, you should note that the smaller the blade diameter, the weaker the airflow.
Whether or not the volume plays a major role in your purchase decision depends on your anticipated needs, i.e. for what purpose you want to buy it.
Do you need it for your living room, where you will only use it during the day? Do you need it for your office, where you need to concentrate as well as possible? Or for your bedroom, to get through quiet hot summer nights? You should definitely check it out.
The volume of a desk fan is expressed in decibels and the quietest ones are usually below 30 db. How loud or how quiet it can be depends on the blade diameter, i.e. the size of the rotor blades. The larger, the quieter. In fact, to get the same result in terms of the amount of air moved, the larger table fans may rotate less.
Table fans that have water cooling also ensure that they remain very quiet in operation. An alternative would be those that work without rotor blades, i.e. without a visible rotor. These models process the air with a narrow slot and a ring, which compresses and expels it in a damped manner.
Decision: What types of table fans are there and which one is right for you?
If you want to buy a table fan, you have three types of products to choose from, according to power supply:
|USB table fans||They are compact and can be charged anywhere there is a USB port. This makes them very convenient to take with you||They can only be charged via a USB port. They are less powerful and have limited additional functions.|
|Battery-powered table fans||They are the most mobile thanks to their replaceable and rechargeable batteries.||Without batteries, they do not work and they have fewer additional functions.|
|Electric table fans||They are the most powerful and offer several additional options||They must remain plugged in at all times to function. Therefore, they are not mobile table fans. In addition, they are also somewhat larger, so less space-saving.|
If you want to discover more information about the different types of table fans, you can take a look at our detailed presentation here below.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about table fans answered in detail
What is a table fan suitable for?
The skin produces up to four million sweat glands. This works most strongly in summer when the outside temperature is unusually warmer than our body temperature. When we sweat and then the sweat produced evaporates, we have a feeling of cooling. We can get this feeling from a fan.
Table fans are designed to be placed on a table or similar furniture (hence the name "table fan"). They are generally less powerful than other types of fans. In fact, they are intended for refreshing smaller spaces (office, room, etc.) or direct surroundings. But in return they have a higher and lighter mobility - depending on the model.
Is a table fan suitable for the bedroom?
Besides the noise level, you should also consider the timer function if you don't want to run it all night. Otherwise, you should calculate the possible power consumption of the device.
Is a table fan suitable for air humidification and air cooling?
Is a table fan suitable against flies?
Some are built with a UV lamp. The UV light will attract flies and other flying insects. These are usually sucked into the inside of the fan using an electric turbine. They can either be killed by dehydration or simply trapped on an adhesive sheet until they are manually released.
What size table fan should I buy?
However, it should be big enough to meet your foreseen needs. If it will only be used to cool down your desk area, then a smaller model should suffice. But if it's going to provide the whole bedroom with airflow, then you'd better get a bigger one.
How much does a table fan cost?
|USB table fans||approx. 9 - 20 EUR|
|Battery-powered table fans||approx. 12 - 30 EUR|
|Electricity-powered table fans||approx. 14 - over 80 EUR|
Image source: Rakin/ 123rf.com