Welcome to another installment! Every man always keeps in mind to wear any kind of tie for special occasions or when it comes to look good for work, e.g. in a job interview.
That's why in this article we will focus on such a valuable product. There are countless models and brands of neckties, so it can be difficult to find the right one for that important event. If you only let yourself be guided by the one you like the most or by the colour of your preference, it can result in a poor fit.
That's why you need to know what each one has to offer. In the market you can find skinny, standard or bow ties. Each one has characteristics that make them unique, as well as being made of different materials. That is why we will explain their meaning, the relevant purchase factors, where to get them and even their value. We hope you find it useful.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Tie: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Buying criteria: factors that allow you to compare and rate different models of neckties
- The tie is an item of clothing that is intended to be the ideal complement to a shirt, especially when worn with a suit. It is a one-piece item worn around the neck and can be made of different materials and designs. It is usually for men's use.
- The most commonly used models are skinny, standard and bow tie, each one has characteristics that make them unique and they are usually used in specific situations. The important thing is to know what is relevant to each one in order to learn how to use them in the right way.
- The essential buying factors to make the choice and purchase of a tie a success are: manufacturing materials, occasion and types of knots. Finding the ideal one for you, but above all for that situation where you need it, will give you the right complement to make you look elegant and formal.
The Best Tie: Our Picks
If you are a tie lover, or simply like to wear them whenever you get the chance, you have to consider them among the important items in your wardrobe. To do so, you need to know and understand everything about this valuable product, as well as considering the relevant factors to make your decision perfect.
What is a necktie and what are its advantages?
It can be made of different materials, shapes and colours. You can find skinny, standard or bow ties and each one has specifications that will help you to have the right presentation for the event in which you participate.
What is really important is to understand their characteristics. That's why we will show you their advantages and disadvantages summarised in the following table:
Skinny, standard or bow ties - what to look out for?
- Skinny tie. Nowadays they are accessories that have had an impressive boom, to such an extent, that they are among the favourites of young people. Being a skinny tie, it is ideal to be used with Slim fit suits and plain shirts, highlighting the elegance and formality that comes from the combination of this type of attire. They have the characteristic of not exceeding 6 cm in width at the thickest part of the tie and visually offer a broadening of your shoulders. They are usually worn at weddings or graduations because they are formal, casual and very elegant.
- Standard tie. It is the most used since the creation of this garment, usually used by adults or older people, as they offer a conservative design and at the same time elegant. It is used in conjunction with loose-fitting suits, where the aim is to maintain a measured style. As for their dimensions, they range from 7 to 9 cm wide and help to stylise the silhouette for those who seek to cover wide spaces between the shoulders and the waist. They are usually used for weddings, engagements and work activities such as interviews, appointments, among others.
- Bow tie. They are considered the most elegant and prestigious in terms of quality of dress. You can find them with the bow tie assembled for easy use or not pre-made. They are very used in gala events such as toasts, weddings of rigorous etiquette or graduations, as they are extremely elegant. Their measurements are 12 to 14 cm long and 4 to 6 cm wide on average when the bows are assembled, while the non-pre-made ones are approximately 50 cm long. They are usually worn with dinner jackets and sometimes with braces to look youthful and elegant at the same time.
|Dimensions||Width 6 cm||Width 7 to 9 cm||Width 4 to 6 cm for a length of 12 to 14 cm.|
|Usage||Weddings and graduations||Important events and at work||Gala events, black tie weddings.|
|Type of suit||Slim fit||Standard / loose||Tuxedo.|
|Complementary accessory||Tie clip||Tie clip and handkerchief||Braces.|
Buying criteria: factors that allow you to compare and rate different models of neckties
If we leave aside the model and type of tie, for this type of garment it is necessary to consider the most relevant criteria to find the perfect one for you, bearing in mind the event in which you want to use it. Below we explain each one of them so that your decision is the right one. These are:
- Manufacturing materials
- Knot types
The most used materials nowadays for the production of neckties are 3 different ones. In addition, each one offers unique properties and characteristics to this type of garment, as you get to know each one, you will be able to compare objectively the types of ties. Below we explain each one.
- Silk. It is an extremely wear resistant and high quality material that makes it look fine and elegant. This type of fabric can be found in matte or satin. They are ideal for important events such as weddings, graduations or business conventions.
- Cotton. It is the most used for the manufacture of ties. It has properties that create very resistant models, as well as innovative designs. They are generally used for casual events such as family events or events with friends, usually accompanied by a blazer.
- Wool. They are usually used in winter seasons, as they give a warm and elegant touch. They have characteristics that allow them to maintain the shape of the tie without deforming and are resistant to continuous use. They are ideal for end-of-year gatherings and for the workplace.
There are 3 types of situations where a tie is usually required. So you need to understand which model and design is right for the occasion. In the following we will talk about each of them.
- Work. It is undoubtedly the occasion that demands the highest amount of tie wearing, as the frequency is extremely high, compared to the other two. We recommend the use of skinny or standard ties, and always look for plain and conservative designs.
- Formal events. For this occasion, elegance and formality are sought at all times. The use of standard and bow ties is recommended. In addition, the designs are plain, checkered or striped and, of course, very colourful.
- Casual events. These are the occasions where you can dress more casually when wearing a tie. We recommend the use of skinny models with innovative designs, with prints and where practically everything is allowed in the use of this garment.
Types of knots
Nowadays we find a great variety of ways in which a tie knot can be tied. Depending on the knot of your preference is the type of tie you require. So we mention the most used ones below.
- Four in hand. It is the most used knot because it is easy to tie, besides it does not take you a lot of time. It is slim, aesthetic and self-releasing. It is usually the model with which anyone learns to tie a tie knot. It is recommended to use the standard model to tie this type of knot.
- Simple. It is also known as the oriental knot. It is the one that requires the least amount of steps and it is very easy to learn how to tie it. Its main disadvantage is that it is often difficult to undo. It is a small, asymmetrical knot that leans towards the active end of the tie. It works very well on standard ties.
- Victory. The complex version of the four-in-hand, it is more elegant and sophisticated than the first model. On the other hand, being more complex, the knot is voluminous and with great detail to the eye. It is recommended for skinny ties.
- Eldredge. It is an innovative and complex model that requires 15 steps. Unlike all the others, it requires the thin end to be tied. At the end, the small remaining end is hidden behind the shirt collar. It is ideal for both standard and skinny models.
- Bow tie. This is the traditional and most commonly used type of bow tie. It gives elegance and a formal touch. It doesn't take long to tie and only requires 4 simple steps.
(Featured image photo: (Dmitriy Shironosov/ 123rf.com)