Welcome! Who doesn't have fond memories of their childhood playing with cars? Memories that became unforgettable, generating a passion in children who, as adults, acquire them to collect them more than to play with them.
That is why in this article we will focus on such a valuable toy. Nowadays there are countless models and brands of cars for all kinds of tastes and preferences; from real scale cars to those created by the brands themselves.
That is why, regardless of the generations, their popularity has been maintained year after year and has been so profitable for the companies that they continue to produce them. If you are passionate about trolleys or just like them a lot, we want to let you know everything about this product.
At the end of the article we want you to have a clear idea of what the manufacturers offer, the types of trolleys, the best sellers, where you can find them and their value. We hope you find it useful.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The best Trolley: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Buying criteria: factors that allow you to compare and rate different models of trolleys.
- A car is a toy made of plastic, wood or steel that serves to produce moments of fun for children. They can be based on real cars produced to scale or based on cartoons or invented by toy companies. They have a wide variety of designs and colours that appeal to all audiences.
- The most widely used carts in ancient times were traction carts, which were able to move forward when force was applied by pulling them backwards. However, the most popular ones are those used on racetracks, where their main function is speed. Therefore, brands also sell them in sets related to motorsport.
- The most important factors that are necessary to consider when buying carts are the make, model, colour, category, year of manufacture and scale. These factors make it easier for us to understand what regular buyers are looking for in trolleys and how they compare with our own tastes and preferences.
The best Trolley: Our Picks
When you are convinced that you are getting a good pushchair, the selection is so vast that the decision becomes somewhat complex, as it is not centred on the first thing you come across when you go to any toy store. So, when you compare the wide variety of models on the market, you will guarantee the success of your decision.
What is a trolley and what are its advantages?
They come in a variety of designs and colours and appeal to all audiences. We are interested in showing you the most relevant characteristics of the cars to give you clarity of all the pros and cons that this product offers to everyone who plays or collects them. We concentrate it in the following table:
Play cars, collectible or remote control - what should you look out for?
- Play trolleys. These are the most popular because they are made to be played with by children. Their main feature is their high resistance to heavy handling, however, the quality of the details is not good, as children prefer to play with them rather than appreciate the car itself. The models are based on cartoons and TV series. The play cars are the most widely produced, and because they are produced in batches, they are the cheapest. They are sold in sets that include tracks, car washes, garages, mechanics' workshops, among others. This gives the children at home an extra fun experience.
- Collectible cars. This market is well perceived by motoring fans, as they can have their favourite cars in the showcase of their home or business. These trolleys have all kinds of details and their materials are of high quality, so the value of them becomes considerable. These models are based on real cars to scale, taking into account its history, getting to find a single model, all its facets over the years. Collectors come to have all the world's models of scale taxis or school buses or police patrol cars, among many others. The constant updating of this type of carts according to the versions and models of real cars, makes more and more people start with their collection of carts, so that the demand for them has been growing steadily in recent years.
- Remote-controlled carts. This type of carts have a competitive advantage compared to the previous two and that is that they can travel distances at high speed through a remote control, achieving independence and at the same time a total control of the car. They are very attractive for children between 6 and 10 years old. They need batteries to operate, which limits children's fun, as they have to wait for the batteries to fully charge. This causes many children to lose interest in using them. They have designs of real cars to scale and those based on cartoons and caricatures.
|Play cars||Collector cars||Remote control cars.|
|Cost||The cheapest||The most expensive||Medium / high cost.|
|Models||Cartoons and TV series||Real scale cars||Both real and based on cartoons and cartoons.|
Buying criteria: factors that allow you to compare and rate different models of trolleys.
If trolleys were your greatest fun and today your hobby is collecting them or you are simply a lover of cars of all kinds, finding the right trolleys for you can be a unique and unforgettable experience. However, you need to analyse the most important factors to choose the right one. These are:
- Reason for purchase
- Year of manufacture
Reason for purchase
The first question you should ask yourself is: Why do I want a pushchair? If your answer is to play, there are trolleys made for this activity, where the manufacturer's priority is to provide children with innovative products based on films, cartoons, comic strips, among others.
However, if you are a collector, the carts are manufactured with highly detailed finishes, giving an almost identical appearance to the original car model. These carts are scale cars, so collectors look for both current and vintage makes and models from around the world.
This factor will be segmented into manufacturer brands for game-focused carts and collector brands for scale model cars. It is important to consider that each brand produces cars for different segments, so you will not find similar models for sale by the same brands.
- Play carts. The most popular brands for these carts are Hotwheels, mattel, matchbox, power wheels and others. Their main feature is to create innovative models with unique designs that are attractive to children, although the quality of the details leaves much to be desired, they are brands that are well positioned.
- Collection carts. As for this type of cars, the most renowned brands are Auto art, Maisto, burago, welly, CMC among others. Their approach is to create scale cars that are the same as the real size ones, so the quality of their details are unequalled. They are considered the toys for adults.
Regardless of the type of trolley, the model is key when acquiring it, because if we are talking about children, they are always looking for the toy that appears in their favourite film or cartoon, so they are not satisfied with just any toy.
This is where the favourite models can be out of stock due to their high demand. While collectors are always on the lookout for models they don't yet own. It goes hand in hand with the type of car, as many times they get to have the same car but different models, below we will name the most popular models:
- Limited Edition. They are extremely attractive for all public due to their low production and high demand, positioning themselves as the most sought after cars by collectors. These models are used for special events such as anniversaries of the brand or the end of production of a car.
- Sporty. Their designs and colours are appreciated by children and collectors. They are the most demanded cars, as the most popular types and brands of cars are found in this category. Cars such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche,
- Bugatti. Also included in this category are "Formula 1" racing cars.
- Classics. These are models of great prestige, which can generate high value for collectors, as they are generally old cars that are no longer on the road today.
- Convertibles. Many of the classic and sporty models can be found in convertible model, so collectors are not satisfied with having the complete car, but they also look for it in this model.
This factor is more focused on collectors' carts, as it plays a very important role for collectors. They consider it so, since they can have all the models of a car, but part of their collection is to have as many trolleys of the same model as they have available colours.
Limited edition cars are often made in specific quantities and colours, which makes it even more difficult to get them all, but that is the part they enjoy the most after getting the model and colour they want.
There are different categories for both collection and game, created to make it easier to find the trolley you are looking for, as well as to be able to group the great variety of models in a showcase and complete your collection according to each category. The types of categories you can find are:
- Play trolleys. Exotic, animal based, vintage, futuristic, for race tracks, treasure hunts, cartoons, movies, character cars and superheroes, among others.
- Collectible cars. Classics, sports cars, modern cars, trucks, taxis, high speed cars, imported cars, city cars, among others.
Year of Manufacture
This factor is focused only for collector cars, since every year the shape and versions of the cars are modified, collectors look for a type of car in all models, that is to say, if you are a Porsche lover for example, in your collection you want to have all the Porsches, from the first one that was manufactured to the most recent one.
Nowadays there are collections based on the year of manufacture, for example, there is a collection of taxis of all times worldwide. The aim is to show the types and models of cars that were used in each era. This way, the importance of each model, in this case of taxis, is maintained.
There are different types of scale of cars, each scale is expressed as a quotient and its function is to measure the proportion between the replica and the original car. The 1:1 scale means that the replica is exactly the same size as the original model. The following are the most commonly used ones.
- 1:87 scale This is the scale often used for trains and trucks, clearly this is a very small scale. The scale represents about 3 cm approximately.
- Scale 1:64 This is the scale used for play cars such as Hot Wheels or Matchbox. When we think back to our childhood, we are usually talking about this scale. The scale is about 7 cm. Scale 1:43 For collectors in Europe, this is the scale they commonly look for. So there is a great variety of models of trolleys in this scale. The scale is about 10 cm.
- 1:24 scale Very popular and easily found in toy shops, this type of scale is used for both collector and play trolleys. The scale is about 18 cm.
- 1:18 scale The most famous among American collectors, this scale is usually of high quality and includes details such as opening doors, boot and hood, steering wheel movement and front wheels, as well as details in the interior and engine of the car. The scale is about 24 cm.
(Featured image photo: Tatyana Tomsickova/ 123rf.com)