In 1990, Germans watched the national team's World Cup victory on television on a screen with a 72 cm diagonal. Nowadays, the TV is a good twice as big and thus takes up considerably more space. And so the question arises, where to put the good part.
And that is exactly what TV sideboards are for. Specially designed to give the TV a place without taking up too much space themselves, these pieces of furniture offer a pleasant way to place your TV. But there are many different types of sideboards. In this guide, we will explain the differences and advantages of various TV sideboards.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best TV Sideboards: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for TV sideboards
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about TV sideboards answered in detail
- 5.1 Who is a TV sideboard suitable for?
- 5.2 What types of TV sideboards are there?
- 5.3 What is the difference between a TV sideboard and a TV lowboard?
- 5.4 How much does a TV sideboard cost?
- 5.5 What special features should be considered for a hanging TV sideboard?
- 5.6 How high should the TV be on the TV sideboard?
- 6 Conclusion
- A TV sideboard, sometimes called a TV sideboard or lowboard, is a piece of furniture specifically designed to make efficient use of the space under your TV without taking up too much room.
- The most important differences in all TV sideboard variants are the material, the size and the storage space that the TV sideboard offers. These 3 criteria are the same for all TV sideboards and determine the basis on which you choose your TV sideboard.
- There are many different versions of TV sideboards, which are tailored to specific application needs. A hanging TV sideboard offers a very special look, while one on castors promises flexibility through mobility.
The Best TV Sideboards: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for TV sideboards
To help you find the right TV sideboard for you, we have listed the most important buying criteria here. You should use these criteria as a guide to find the right TV sideboard for you.
So that you know exactly what these three buying criteria are, we will go into more detail below about what is so important about them and what you should look out for.
The size of the TV sideboard is determined by three different factors. The available space, the size of the TV and your personal preference. The TV sideboard should definitely be a little wider than the base of the TV and a little longer than the TV. You can choose between this minimum requirement and the available space as the maximum.
The material of your TV sideboard is an important factor that influences price and appearance, among other things. FCE certified oak wood or rather a slim plastic construction? There is a wide range of possible materials. In addition to sustainability considerations and appearance, the material also determines another factor, the weight.
While the difference in weight does not have a major influence on many models, it is of great importance for models that hang on the wall. A wall-hung TV sideboard should be as light as possible so as not to put too much strain on the bracket on the wall. Nothing would be worse than buying a TV sideboard, installing it, and a year later the wall bracket comes loose and the TV sideboard falls to the floor along with your TV.
The storage space determines how you use your TV sideboard. Is it just a place to put the TV, or do you want to store CDs, books and a music system in addition to the receiver and games console? The storage space is of course influenced by the size, but the decision of what the TV sideboard will be used for can influence the design. For example, there are TV sideboards that go up to the right and left of the TV, creating a lot of space without being wider. The storage space of a TV sideboard can come in different versions, as a shelf, drawer or cupboard compartment.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about TV sideboards answered in detail
Who is a TV sideboard suitable for?
What types of TV sideboards are there?
If you like to have your TV in different places, you can find the necessary flexibility in a TV sideboard with castors. As you can see, the selection is large and if you look long enough, you are sure to find something suitable.
What is the difference between a TV sideboard and a TV lowboard?
How much does a TV sideboard cost?
|Price range||Available products|
|Low-priced 0 - 150 €)||Simple, rather smaller TV sideboards, narrower choice of materials, standing and hanging TV sideboards|
|Medium-priced 150 - 400 €)||Larger TV sideboards, wider choice of materials, LED lighting, standing and hanging TV sideboards|
|High-priced from € 400)||Full range of sizes and materials, LED lighting, standing and hanging TV sideboards|
The cost of a TV sideboard is determined primarily by the material and size. Extras, such as LED lighting, naturally increase the price as well.
What special features should be considered for a hanging TV sideboard?
How high should the TV be on the TV sideboard?
A TV sideboard is a good purchase for anyone looking for a place for their TV. The additional shelf space ensures that the game console and its games find their place and you have everything clearly arranged in one place. Thanks to the wide range of options, the TV sideboard will fit perfectly into your room design and combine looks with utility. A larger TV sideboard can hold as much as a shelf and thus create a lot of space for games, books and much more.
(Cover photo: manbob86 / pixabay)