Welcome to ReviewBox Brasil! Today we are going to talk about an access control device that can take your home or business security to a new level: the video intercom! With it, you will always have full control of who can pass through the gate and enter your domains! Since the emergence of intercoms, access control mechanisms have not stopped evolving. The video intercom is a modern, technological and safe option. Stay with us to find out everything you need to buy the best possible model and become a much more peaceful person!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 First, the most important thing
- 3 Video Intercom: Our Picks
- 4 Buying guide
- 4.1 What is a video doorman and what is it used for?
- 4.2 What are the advantages of a video intercom?
- 4.3 Is the video intercom the best security option for my home?
- 4.4 What features are essential in a video intercom?
- 4.5 How to install a video intercom?
- 4.6 How much does it cost and where to buy a video intercom?
- 5 Purchase criteria: What to take into consideration when choosing a video doorman
First, the most important thing
- The video intercom is the evolution of the simple intercom: it allows access control after analysing not only the visitor's voice, but also the image.
- A quality device is able to hold several cameras, connect to more than one lock and still reproduce images with high definition.
- It is necessary to choose a video intercom that guarantees security 24 hours a day and has components resistant to weather actions such as rain and sun.
Video Intercom: Our Picks
As the demand for good video intercoms grows, more companies specialising in security and surveillance are investing in the product. We have selected some of the best models available to present to you:
What is a video doorman and what is it used for?
What are the advantages of a video intercom?
The video intercom is an improvement on this access control system: With it, you not only hear the voice, but also see the image of who is at the door. Fooling the person on the inside becomes practically impossible. This equipment offers great security and ease of access control. With the push of a button, two or three doors can be released. This after having a complete visual overview of who is actually trying to enter the home or business and even the surroundings. Good video intercom models also offer cameras with night vision and excellent image definition, which can be useful both day and night. The only disadvantage of a video intercom is the price: perhaps with intercom and simple monitoring camera you can create the same effect as with it, although the efficiency of the system is not the same. Check below the main advantages and disadvantages of video intercom:
Is the video intercom the best security option for my home?
But when it comes to access control only, the video intercom should not be the choice if the budget is limited and you prefer to assemble the system with separate parts, such as an intercom, a bullet camera and a small old television. No matter if your house is small or large, the video intercom will fit very well: just choose the model that offers compatible number of cameras and connection with the number of locks that need to be opened for the visitor to reach the final destination. In the table below, we set up a comparison between the video intercom and the improvised system (intercom, camera and separate viewing equipment):
|Video intercom||Improvised access system|
|Installation||Easier (ready to be installed in one go)||Needs the installation of each component separately|
|Warranties||Will always work perfectly as a single piece of equipment||All security may be compromised if only one component is defective|
What features are essential in a video intercom?
- Night vision: If the video entry camera does not have good quality night vision, it will be useless at night. It is necessary that clear images are produced regardless of the time of day.
- Connection with locks: The best video intercom models can be connected to more than one lock. Thus, the device can control access to various environments of the residence or company.
- Call transfer: If you can not be on site all the time and eventually need to approve access from afar, you can register a mobile phone number and do the control through this device. This makes your life much easier!
All these features are very important so that your video intercom model is among the highest quality ones in the market!
How to install a video intercom?
How much does it cost and where to buy a video intercom?
Purchase criteria: What to take into consideration when choosing a video doorman
There are still some important issues we need to mention about video intercoms. We have selected four criteria that should influence your choice of the ideal model:
Below, we go into more detail about each of them.
Number of cameras
How extensive is the front outdoor area of your home or business? What kind of surveillance do you want to do? Do you want to extend it to other locations as well, such as gardens or patios? One variation in video intercoms is the number of connectable cameras. The simplest models can have only one, which is the one in the area where the external module is installed, while others can have up to four, five or six. Therefore, think about the external panorama that you want to see in your video intercom before finalizing the purchase! The variation in the number of cameras offers different levels of surveillance.
Another issue is the quality of the image on the display, i.e. the part of the video intercom where you see what the cameras are showing. There are variations in size (in inches), resolution and even colouring. You can choose a very simple model, with a small screen that only allows you to identify the face of the person you want to enter. However, there are much larger variations and in high definition, recommended for when there is a much greater need for security and attention to every detail.
When you choose a video intercom model which has some parts functioning by electricity, you may be without surveillance and access control in case of a power failure. Therefore, if it is necessary to have it available 24 hours a day, this may not be the best option.
The other possibility is that each of the components of the device has its own battery. You will need to know when to change them, but you will rarely be without your doorbell for a long period of time. This way, security is increased. There is also the option of primarily electric models, but with battery backups. Although a little more expensive, they can solve power-related problems.
Some parts of a video intercom are located outdoors: most often, surveillance cameras and intercom modules. They constantly suffer from nature's actions such as rain and intense sunlight. Therefore, it is necessary to choose a video intercom model that guarantees resistance and durability. Only then you will have the peace of mind of knowing that you will not need to replace components quickly. (Image source: Evgeniy Kleymenov/ 123rf.com)