Welcome to our big vinyl floor cleaner test 2021. Here we present all the vinyl floor cleaners that we have tested in detail. We would like to make your purchase decision easier and help you find the best vinyl floor cleaner for you.
You will also find answers to frequently asked questions in our guide. Furthermore, you will also find some important information on this page that you should definitely pay attention to if you want to buy a vinyl floor cleaner.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Vinyl Floor Cleaner: Our Choices
- 4 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying a vinyl floor cleaner
- 5 Decision: What types of vinyl floor cleaners are there and which is the right one for you?
- 5.1 What are the advantages and disadvantages of cleaners specifically designed for vinyl floors?
- 5.2 What are the advantages and disadvantages of other cleaning agents for vinyl floor cleaning?
- 5.3 Ingredients
- 5.4 Filling quantity
- 5.5 Mixing ratio
- 5.6 Odour
- 5.7 Environmental compatibility & packaging material
- 6 Facts worth knowing about vinyl floor cleaner
- If you want to clean your vinyl floor, you can choose between special cleaners for vinyl floors or other cleaning additives such as neutral cleaner, vinegar or citric acid.
- Special cleaners have the advantage that they clean thoroughly without leaving streaks and do not damage the floor material. They can also remove heavier soiling.
- A distinction is also made between two different cleaning processes, regular cleaning and basic cleaning. Most special cleaners are suitable for both types.
The Best Vinyl Floor Cleaner: Our Choices
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying a vinyl floor cleaner
Which cleaner can I use to clean my vinyl floor?
In order to have a beautiful, well-maintained vinyl floor in the long term, there are a number of cleaning agents available for regular wet cleaning. This means you don't have to buy a special cleaner for the floor. You can use these products for the weekly care of the floor:
- Special cleaners for vinyl floors
- All-purpose cleaner
- Neutral cleaner
- Glass cleaner
- PVC cleaner
- Soft soap
- Citric acid
Basic cleaning for heavy soiling
If the vinyl floor is heavily soiled or shows signs of use, especially on light-coloured floors, it is advisable to give it a thorough cleaning. It makes sense to use a cleaner specially developed for vinyl floors, as it effectively removes the dirt without attacking the material of the floor.
What kind of floors is vinyl floor cleaner suitable for?
- PVC floors
- Linoleum floors
- Laminate floors
- sealed or oiled parquet
- sealed or oiled cork flooring
How much vinyl floor cleaner should I buy?
However, if you regularly have to clean large areas, there are also 5-litre and 10-litre canisters available. Depending on the mixing ratio specified by the manufacturer, one bottle of cleaning agent is sufficient for approx. 10 to approx. 40 applications.
In addition, many manufacturers recommend using a more concentrated mixing ratio for deep basic cleaning than for regular maintenance cleaning.
How much does vinyl floor cleaner cost?
|Emsal Vinyl Floor Care||ca. 0,50€|
|Poliboy Vinyl- und Designbelag Pflegekonzentrat||ca 0,60€|
|Dr. Schutz PU Reiniger||ca. 0,60€|
|Bio-chem Vinyl Floor Cleaner Concentrate||ca. 1,00€|
|Haro Clean and Green Intensive Cleaner active||ca. 1,00€|
|Faxe Vinyl Cleaner||ca. 1,00€|
|Woca Vinyl and Lacquer Soap||ca. 1,50€|
Where can I buy vinyl floor cleaner?
Decision: What types of vinyl floor cleaners are there and which is the right one for you?
Basically, we distinguish between these types of vinyl floor cleaners:
- Special cleaners for vinyl floors
- other cleaning agents
In the following, we explain the different types and their respective advantages and disadvantages. In this way, we want to help you find the most suitable vinyl floor cleaner for you.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of cleaners specifically designed for vinyl floors?
The biggest advantage of cleaning products specially developed for vinyl floor care is, of course, that they thoroughly clean and maintain the floor without harming the material. This increases the likelihood that your floor will look like new for a long time.
On the other hand, the biggest disadvantage of special products is that they are often much more expensive than the alternatives listed. Apart from that, these cleaning agents are also not quite as easy to get hold of as vinegar or neutral cleaners.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of other cleaning agents for vinyl floor cleaning?
If you don't want to buy an extra cleaner for your floors, you can also clean them with the common household products mentioned above. This of course saves money and also space when storing the bottles.
In the following, we will show you which criteria you can use to compare and evaluate vinyl floor cleaners. This will make it easier for you to get an overview and decide on a suitable and effective product. In summary, these are the following criteria:
- Filling quantity
- Environmental compatibility
In the following, you can read about the respective criteria and find out why it makes sense for you to purchase a product based on the criteria or not.
Our analysis of the ingredients has shown that, apart from water, there are no great similarities in the ingredients of the different cleansers. If you are allergic, it is advisable to choose a product that does not contain perfume.
For those who are very particular, the ingredients of the special cleaners can easily be found on the internet.
As already mentioned, the most common sizes for vinyl floor cleaners are 500ml and 1000ml. Only one of the manufacturers offers its cleaner in 750ml and 5 or 10 litre canisters. The different filling quantities of the suppliers as well as their mixing ratio can be seen in the table in the next paragraph.
The recommended mixing ratio is usually given as a ratio. In other words, how many parts of detergent should you mix with how many parts of water? However, it can also happen that a manufacturer only tells you how many caps you should add to a cleaning bucket (approx. 5 litres).
|Brand||Filling quantity||Mixing ratio|
|Emsal||1000ml||3 caps to 5l|
|Poliboy||500ml||3 caps to 5l|
|Haro Clean and Green||500ml||Ratio 1:400|
Since you will probably be spreading your care product over your living space, it is probably not unimportant for many to find out how it will affect the smell in their own four walls. As already mentioned, there are some manufacturers who do not perfume their products, which should therefore have a neutral smell.
However, if you really want to be sure that the cleaning product is in harmony with your nose, we recommend that you do not buy it online, but perhaps go to the drugstore or DIY store and let the olfactory receptors take a look at the bottle.
Environmental compatibility & packaging material
The ecological factor of environmental compatibility is becoming increasingly important for many consumers. If it is important to you that the cleaning water not only keeps your home clean but also does not pollute nature and you do not want to resort to vinegar or citric acid, then you should choose one of the products that uses fewer chemicals.
Besides the composition of the detergents, the packaging material is of course also a factor that influences the overall environmental compatibility. According to our research, all the products mentioned are offered in plastic bottles. However, there are differences here as well, because some manufacturers advertise that they have used recycled plastic for the bottle on the one hand, or recyclable material on the other.
That being said, if you want to reduce your plastic use and know that you will be using your care product frequently, you can opt for a larger fill quantity and thus less plastic in the longer term.
Facts worth knowing about vinyl floor cleaner
What to look for when cleaning vinyl floors?
Once you have decided on your cleaning agent, you can start cleaning.
- The floor should always first be cleaned of dust and coarse dirt with a broom or hoover. This is important because otherwise this loose surface dirt could scratch the material when mopping. Also make sure that you use the correct attachment of the hoover to avoid scratching the floor.
- Then you can start mopping the floor. Fill your cleaning bucket (5 litres) with warm water and add the maintenance product in the specified mixing ratio. When mopping, make sure that the mop is not too wet, otherwise the floor may swell. Misty damp is therefore completely sufficient
- After mopping, simply let everything air-dry again, preferably with the windows open. No further wiping is necessary.
You should never use solvents or scouring agents on your vinyl floors, as these can destroy the structure of the floor.
How can I use the vinyl floor cleaner?
In addition to the regular cleaning described above, it can happen that your floor needs a more thorough cleaning. This is recommended if the floor is heavily soiled, discoloured or loses its shine (in addition to cleaners, there are also special care products that make the floor look like new again). We also have tips on how best to clean your floor:
- Again, first remove dust and loose dirt from the floor with the help of a hoover.
- For a thorough cleaning of your floor, you will need a more concentrated mixture. That is, you will need to add more of the cleaner to the cleaning water. Of course, the exact mixing ratio depends on the product you choose. For example, for all-purpose cleaners, a mixing ratio of 1:3 (one part cleaner to three parts water) is recommended, while for special cleaning concentrates, a ratio of 1:10 is sufficient.
- You should then apply this concentrated cleaning water generously to the floor and let it soak in for some time (5 to 10 minutes). For floors with a textured surface, it can also be helpful to work the cleaner into the floor with a brush.
- After the cleaner has worked well on your floor, take the mop again and remove the cleaning water with the loosened dirt from the floor.
- Finally, wipe the floor again with clean water.
What else do I need besides the cleaner?
In addition to the cleaner, you will probably also need these tools for cleaning your floor:
- Broom or hoover
- Microfibre cloth or brush with soft bristles
Image source: pexels.com / Pixabay