No household should be without a wall mirror. It gives the room a special atmosphere. Be it a bathroom mirror or a three-piece wall mirror in the living room. It can not only look good. No. A wall mirror always serves a purpose.
The size of a mirror can also visually enlarge a room. A wall mirror can be a substitute for a picture above the bed, the couch or hang in the middle of the wall and serve as decoration. If you are looking for a wall mirror but are not sure what function it should fulfil, then you have come to the right place.
With our wall mirror test, we want to help you find the best wall mirror for you. We have compared different types of wall mirrors and listed the respective advantages and disadvantages. This should make your purchase decision as easy as possible.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Wall Mirrors in the United Kingdom: Our Choices
- 4 Wall mirrors: buying and evaluation criteria
- 5 Wall mirrors: frequently asked questions and answers
- 6 Conclusion
- Wall mirrors allow you to visually enlarge and enhance your room. Large and wide wall mirrors can fulfil this purpose. But decorative wall mirrors, such as teardrop-shaped wall mirrors or two- and multi-part wall mirrors, can also do this, depending on their size and shape.
- There are two different types of wall mirrors with different functions. These are decorative and functional wall mirrors. These are explained and shown with examples.
- Wall mirrors made of different materials are not all of the same quality. The mirror surface is not always made of glass, nor is the glass simply glass. The workmanship of a mirror is what determines its quality.
The Best Wall Mirrors in the United Kingdom: Our Choices
Wall mirrors: buying and evaluation criteria
In the following, we will show you which aspects you can use to decide between the many possible wall mirrors. The most important criteria with which you can compare wall mirrors are summarised here:
In the following paragraphs, we will explain what is important in the individual criteria.
Wall mirrors weigh different amounts depending on the material they are made of, their size and whether or not they have a frame. The weight is important when it comes to the question of how the wall mirror should be attached.
With larger and heavier mirrors, dowelling is an important prerequisite for a good and stable hold of the wall mirror. With light mirrors for hanging, for example, special adhesive tape can be used.
The size is decisive for the functionality and the corresponding use. There are wall mirrors that are whole-body large, half-large or small. The size and shape you want to opt for plays a role. The size is also important so that the room can be visually enlarged.
This works wonderfully with a half-body large wall mirror or a full-body large wall mirror, for example. These also come in different sizes, lengths and shapes.
The shape is decided on the one hand by the space available and on the other hand according to personal taste. A wall mirror can be classically rectangular with or without a frame.
Round, prism-shaped or drop-shaped mirrors with different frames and patterns are popular shapes for wall mirrors.
A wall mirror can thus be used practically and as decoration at the same time, which visually enhances the room.
The material your wall mirror is made of is important for the longevity of the mirror. Different materials can be decorative, but cheap or very heavy.
You can ask yourself whether the mirror should be made of walnut or oak. Or should it be made of stainless steel, metal or plastic? There are also wall mirrors made of natural materials such as bamboo or raffia. However, plastic is not a good choice if you want a high-quality wall mirror.
Crystal glass is one of the most commonly used materials that mirrors can be made of. This glass is a beautiful refinement, which can be seen accordingly when comparing a crystal mirror and a cheaper mirror purely for decoration. Crystal glass reflects light many times more.
Other materials are used in its processing and it is cut so cleanly until the glass becomes completely clear. This glass is used to make the best quality wall mirrors for the bathroom and high-quality wall mirrors in general.
You can choose the material for the frame of your wall mirror according to your taste. There are wall mirrors made of natural wood such as oak, teak or even bamboo. Do you like a simple frame made of metal or a wall mirror with scrollwork in the frame?
Cheaper versions are usually made of plastic. Other materials include glass, which is used as a frame. For example, there are frames made of crystals for a diamond-lit frame or of aluminium and many other materials. Depending on the material you want for your wall mirror, the quality and weight of the mirror will be decided.
A wall mirror can be bought or custom made in different styles depending on your taste. For example, the vintage style is quite popular. You can find decorative wall mirrors with a metal or plastic frame in a feather pattern, as a sun in gold and many more. The country house style is also popular. In this style, wood is often used for the frame and it is individualised with decorative patterns.
However, matching colours are also part of the style. A wall mirror in the baroque style is of course more likely to be gilded and often has a used look. You can also choose between several colours for the frame, such as rosé, black, white, beige, gold, silver and many other colours. Modern wall mirrors with these colours are the most popular mirrors on the market.
Wall mirrors: frequently asked questions and answers
In the following, we would like to answer the most important questions about wall mirrors. We have selected the questions for you and will answer them shortly. After reading the guide, you will know all the essential background information about wall mirrors.
Who is a wall mirror suitable for?
Depending on how much space you want to make available, you can find a wall mirror in an infinite number of sizes and shapes, individually adapted to your room.
Depending on your taste, wall mirrors also come with frames, including glazed frames or coloured frames made of metal, wood and other materials. If you want a simple wall mirror without a frame, there are also plenty of models and alternatives, such as mirror plates for the wall.
Wall mirrors are therefore suitable for anyone who wants to visually enlarge their room. They are also suitable for those who want a decorative or plain mirror without it taking up too much space.
What types of wall mirrors are there?
|Functional wall mirrors||high quality, suitable for bathroom or cloakroom with lighting, easy to clean, durable||can be very expensive|
|Decorative wall mirrors||inexpensive, can be used in different ways - and combined||less qualitative|
In the following, we have listed and explained the different mirrors of the two types.
Nowadays, the demand for quality and function of wall mirrors has increased considerably. As a result, there are now functional mirrors for different areas in your own four walls.
- Bathroom mirrors: These serve as a replacement for a mirror cabinet, for example. They can be used on the wall as adjustable vanity mirrors or permanently attached to the wall. There are wall mirrors with lighting especially for the bathroom, for example for better make-up application. High-quality and modern bathroom mirrors also have an anti-fogging function.
- Wardrobe mirror: Such mirrors can be found with a shelf for keys or similar items. Integrated lighting is also a good choice for wardrobe mirrors.
- Panoramic mirrors: These wall mirrors create a beautiful overall picture in the bedroom or living room, enhance the room and visually enlarge it. They look particularly good above chests of drawers, the bed or the couch.
Functional mirrors serve the purpose of being able to check one's appearance when changing, getting dressed or putting on make-up.
Mirrors that are used decoratively have the sole purpose of visually enhancing a room with a wall mirror and optimally rounding off the furnishing style. Some types of decorative wall mirrors are listed here for you:
- Mirror with facet cut: The facet cut gives the mirror an individual charm. The edges of the mirror are mechanically ground until they are flattened. This creates special lighting effects.
- Wall mirrors in design: Whether in three parts, in different shapes and colours, with squiggles or holders for candles, for example, decorative wall mirrors can ideally function as a shimmering and reflecting image instead of a picture and still be used as a mirror at the same time. Cheaper versions made of plastic with mirror foil are only used for decoration.
- Wall mirror panels/tiles: Mirror plates are very light and cheap to buy. They are used for the DIY look and can be combined in any way to create different shapes and patterns. However, they are also only 3 mm thick and are therefore not the most stable of wall mirrors.
Wall mirrors with combined frames in the shape of a sun or in window optics also belong to the decorative wall mirrors.
Different styles can also be combined in wall mirrors. These include, among others, wall mirrors in baroque style, vintage style or even country house style.
How much does a wall mirror cost?
Depending on the functionality or design of your wall mirror, you will have to invest accordingly. However, simple wall mirrors with function and design are available from around 30 euros.
|Functional wall mirrors||30 to 3,000 euros|
|Decorative wall mirrors||10 to 200 euros|
For functional wall mirrors, the price range extends to well over 3,000 euros. These prices again combine technology, design and brand. Functional wall mirrors can nevertheless be bought in a much lower price range and for far less than 200 euros.
Decorative wall mirrors are far less expensive. They serve their purpose for as little as 10 euros. If you prefer a more beautiful, higher-quality wall mirror, you can spend up to 200 euros.
What are the alternatives to a wall mirror?
|Mirrors on wheels||You can move them according to your wishes for special lighting conditions or a room layout. They are flexible, mobile and rotatable. These mirrors are suitable for fitness activities, for example.|
|Folding mirror||These mirrors can be used as a cosmetic mirror in hand size without a handle for storage, or in larger versions as a standing mirror on a dressing table. Such folding mirrors are now available for purchase especially for dressing tables with lighting.|
|Stand mirror||any adjustment, no mounting on the wall, swivelling stand mirrors enable special lighting conditions, but generally take up a lot of space|
Each of these mirrors has certain advantages that should not be ignored. However, a wall mirror ultimately saves the most space and can be used both decoratively and functionally.
How is a wall mirror fixed?
- Adhesive tape: A wall mirror can be attached with special adhesive tape. This is adhesive on both sides. There are different types with a marking of the maximum load that can be carried. Before mounting, clean the back of the mirror and the wall. The wall and the back of the mirror must be dry and dust-free. Paper wallpaper as a background is unsuitable because it will be removed when the mirror is removed.
- Dowels and screws: Large wall mirrors in particular, which are heavy, are fixed to the wall with dowels and screws so that they remain stable. To do this, mark the drill hole on the wall where the mirror is to hang. Then make sure that the dowel and the screw can be pulled over the mirror mount, otherwise you will have to use a different dowel and the matching screw. The hole must be as deep as the length of the dowel. Then hammer the dowel into the hole as far as it will go, take the screw and screw it into the dowel. The screw head must protrude in such a way that the mirror mount can be hung over it without any problems.
- Hanging with screw only: Similar to fixing with dowel and screw, only the screw is drilled into the wall. However, this variant should only be used for smaller and lighter mirrors.
In summary, there are numerous models of wall mirrors with frames and without frames. They can be made of different materials such as glass, wood or metal. Mirrors always have a purpose, on the one hand decoration and on the other hand functionality. In any case, every mirror should be easy to clean and robust.
However, the larger and heavier your wall mirror is, the more secure it must be and it is better to install one more bracket than too few. No matter what function your wall mirror should fulfil, after you have read through the guide, you can now browse through the numerous suppliers to find the right wall mirror for you.
Image source: Tuva Mathilde Løland / unsplash