Water columns allow additional water to be drawn from the outside of your house. The column is not only a useful extension for your garden, but can also serve as a visual eye-catcher.
Long walks with watering cans in your garden are a thing of the past thanks to a supplementary water source, as are kinked or twisted water hoses.
Regardless of the model, the construction of all water columns is similar. The water tap is usually located on the front, which is usually also suitable as a connection for irrigation systems.
Depending on the water supply line, rainwater or drinking water can be taken from the column. With our water dispenser test 2021, we want to help you find the right water dispenser for you.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 The best water column: Our picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for water columns
- 5 Decision: What types of water columns are there and which is the right one for me?
- 6 Guide: Frequently asked questions about water columns answered in detail
- 6.1 Who is a water column suitable for?
- 6.2 Which tap is suitable on a water column?
- 6.3 What are the differences between water columns?
- 6.4 What alternatives are there to a water column?
- 6.5 What does a water column cost?
- 6.6 How much bar pressure should the water column have?
- 6.7 How do I set up a water column?
- 6.8 How big is a water column?
- 6.9 What kind of water can be used in the water column?
- 6.10 Where can I install a water column?
The most important facts
- The water column is a water extraction point in the outdoor area of your house. They are made of different materials and come in different shapes, depending on personal preferences.
- Depending on the connection, you can tap rainwater or drinking water.
- The water tap provides water for easy watering and irrigation. In addition, the water from the column can be used for cleaning.
The best water column: Our picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for water columns
In the following, we will show you some features that you should look for when buying a water dispenser and use these features to select the right water dispenser for you.
The criteria you can use to compare the water dispenser are as follows:
As already mentioned, there are many different types of water taps. But which material should you choose?
Depending on the material, a water column has a higher weather resistance and varies in price. The majority of columns are made of stainless steel, this option not only offers a higher quality appearance but also protection against rust. This is very useful as the column has to withstand all kinds of weather.
The variants made of plastic and stone also offer better protection against frost and are therefore more weather-resistant than models made of natural materials such as wood. Nevertheless, a column made of wood can visually fit into your garden much better than other materials.
There are petrol pumps that are made of plastic but mimic the look of another material. This allows you to get the look you want at an affordable price.
Stone pillars are the most expensive options. You should also make sure at the time of purchase that the place where the tap is to be installed is suitable for the solid and heavy stone construction.
Basically, all water columns work in the same way. What should you look for before buying?
- Connection: To fill your column with water, it is connected to a garden hose or pump. Before buying, you should make sure that these connections are available at the place where you want to place the column.
- Water tap: You have to make a decision depending on the type of use and your taste. If you want to connect your garden hose to the column, make sure that the tap is compatible with it. If you need more than one tap, there are also models with a second tap. There are also adapters that you can buy later.
- Position: Another thing you should pay attention to is the place where the respective connection is located. Depending on where you want to install the tap, the connections should also be in the right place.
There are also model variations that have a built-in socket. Therefore, you should make sure that the connection to the mains is available.
The size of the water dispenser depends entirely on your individual circumstances and preferences. How much space do you have available for the column? How high should it be for you?
It can happen that you want to put something under the tap and there is not enough space because the tap is not long enough.
Most columns are already dimensioned so that they can be used easily and without difficulty. However, it may be that a model is too small for you and you have to bend down unnecessarily to drain the water.
There is also the option of buying a model that is adjustable in height. This way, you can counteract mistakes made by a tap that is too small or too large. It also allows children to get actively involved in the work in the garden and to try out operating the tap themselves.
The base plate anchors the tap to the ground. Some designs also offer a drainage system that is built into the base plate. In this case, however, you must make sure that the water also drains away or seeps away. Therefore, you may also need a drainage pipe in the ground in the immediate vicinity of the house.
If you place your water tap directly in the garden, you do not need to plan a drain. Here the water can seep into the ground, depending on the subsoil. Another possibility is to build a connection to the sewage system through a gully, but this step is also associated with more effort.
Before buying, I recommend that you consider how you will connect the base to the ground. Do you want to place the water distributor directly in the meadow? A ground spike that you can push directly into the lawn is suitable for this.
For even more stability, you can simply attach the water column to a paving slab from the DIY store. Bear in mind, however, that you will have to drill holes for this. Depending on the type of connection for your water column, you may also need to drill a hole for the connections.
As you already know, there are many different models in almost every conceivable material. The weight of the respective dispenser therefore varies greatly.
You should only make sure that the ground where the water dispenser is to be installed is as level as possible and can bear the weight.
The dispenser must be transported to the place where it is to be installed.
You may need help with delivery or additional equipment.
These factors could put an additional strain on your budget. So it's better to be safe than sorry and save yourself the money.
The various models also offer a wide range of add-ons. Some of these are not only practical, but also turn the tap into a special eye-catcher. We have listed practical components that you can find in many different models here.
- Hose holder: A feature that can be found on many water dispensers. The holder ensures that your hose is always handy and not knotted. Just make sure you have the right tap on the pillar so that you can connect your garden hose directly.
- Socket: For many, an integrated power source on the water distributor is another convenience. You can use this for the lawn mower or to plug in the annual Christmas lights. Basically, another power connection is never a bad idea outdoors.
- Light: To make the garden shine in a beautiful light, there are water columns that have built-in lighting. Dark walkways in the garden are now a thing of the past. So you can still fill up your watering can at dusk.
No matter which water dispenser you choose, additional components can increase the usefulness of your water source.
Decision: What types of water columns are there and which is the right one for me?
If you want to get a water column, there are several alternatives to choose from:
|Stainless steel water column||This material is rust-proof and weather-resistant. A stainless steel column is timeless. However, this type is expensive.|
|Water column made of stone||Stone is very solid and has a long service life. Stone integrates well into the existing garden design. The material is very heavy and also more cost-intensive than other materials.|
|Water column made of wood||wood is well suited for do-it-yourself construction. You have to take good care of the natural material because it is susceptible to weathering.|
|Water column made of plastic||With the plastic model you can buy an inexpensive column. These are usually easy to handle, but not always UV-resistant|
If you would like to learn more about the individual types of water column, you can find more information in the following articles.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about water columns answered in detail
In the following guide, we want to answer the most important questions about water columns. We have selected questions for you and answered them below. After reading the guide, you will know all the essential basics about water columns.
Who is a water column suitable for?
If you collect your rainwater, you can use the water column as an additional tapping point. The purchase is also an investment that enhances your garden.
Shower attachments and water features can be connected to the column. This gives you the opportunity to refresh and clean yourself on the spot after gardening or barbecues.
Which tap is suitable on a water column?
Make sure that sealing rings and threads are screwed on tightly. Additional hose connections or connecting elements should be fitted appropriately. To protect the outdoor area from flooding, it is advisable to install a child safety lock.
What are the differences between water columns?
- Stainless steel
Stylistically, they differ in shape and finish. You have to invest more for objects made of brushed stainless steel or granite than for models made of plastic.
There are differences in the position of the connections. The anchoring to the floor should be chosen to match the subsoil. There are simple plug-in mechanisms as well as solutions that are set in concrete.
What alternatives are there to a water column?
|Rain barrels||Low cost||No installation|
|Cisterns||Large storage capacity||High effort to build|
|Underground tanks||Prefabricated tank||Susceptible to pressure and microorganisms|
What does a water column cost?
Columns made of plastic start at a price of 40 euros, although you may have to dig deeper into your pocket for models with a different look.
|Water column made of stainless steel||approx. 60-150€|
|Water column made of stone||approx. 120-400€|
|Water column made of wood||approx. 50-150€|
|Water column made of plastic||approx. 40-130€|
Water columns made of stone or stainless steel are usually more robust than lighter versions made of plastic. You will therefore have to spend more money on these variants.
How much bar pressure should the water column have?
The average water pressure is between three and four bar. This varies from region to region. It is best to check with your water supplier.
If the pressure on the water pipe is not sufficient, you can increase it with a pump. Also note the information in the product description. You should not exceed the respective maximum value.
How do I set up a water column?
- Preparation: The installation process itself begins with the right choice of location. Where do you want the water stand? Be aware of the benefits. Do you want a shorter path to your bed, or as close as possible to your garage?
- Make the connection: Now you need to plan the pipes from this marked location. To do this, lay out the supply line from your water connection to the column. The supply line is then buried under the turf at a depth of approx. 30 centimetres. To prevent damage, the lines should be enclosed with sand.
- Check: Before you backfill the trench, check the water pressure. If the water does not arrive at the end of the hose, you may have to get back to the pipe.
- Set up: Now you can set up your column and connect it to the water pipe. Depending on the model, you will then have to screw the base plate or drive the ground spike into the ground.
To give you a better idea of the whole process, we have selected a suitable video for you.
Visibility and unrestricted access to the watering hole are important.
How big is a water column?
You should make sure that the height is adapted to your needs.
If the distance from the floor to the tap is too great, you will have too much splashing water.
Our research showed an average height of 50 to 110 centimetres.
What kind of water can be used in the water column?
Rainwater is more advantageous for watering plants. This requires a connection to a cistern or rainwater tank.
There is also the possibility of using service water. However, this requires a more complex water circulation system in the background.
Where can I install a water column?
It is important to consider the appropriate environment. When buying, make sure that the model can be installed in the appropriate location.
The water column is mainly intended for outdoor use. For this reason, you must also maintain your water column accordingly, depending on the material. Make sure to remove water from the pipes at low temperatures, cover the column and insulate it if necessary.
Image source: chanidap11/ 123rf.com