A whisk is an important and very practical helper in the kitchen that should not be missing from the range of kitchen utensils. Whether cooking or baking, for sauces or chocolate, it works better with a whisk. But the selection of whisks and their variations is large. There are different materials, sizes, shapes and colours.
To help you find the perfect whisk for your purposes, we show you in our whisk test 2021 what you should know about whisks, what the differences are, what the advantages and disadvantages are and how you can find the best whisk for you.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The best Whisk: Our Picks
- 4 Whisk: Buying and evaluation criteria
- 5 Whisk: Frequently asked questions and answers
- 6 Conclusion
- A whisk is a kitchen utensil that helps to whip liquid and semi-liquid foods.
- The whisk consists of many curved rods that converge in a handle. The material can vary between stainless steel and silicone.
- The principle of a whisk is to stir air into a liquid. This makes its texture creamy and airy. For example, a whisk can be used to whip cream or egg whites without any problems.
The best Whisk: Our Picks
We have taken a closer look at some whisks from different categories and present our favourites to you here.
Whisk: Buying and evaluation criteria
There is a wide range of whisks to choose from. Before you buy a whisk, you should therefore consider a few criteria that can help you find the right whisk for you. We have compiled the most important criteria for you here.
There are two main materials used in the manufacture of whisks: Stainless steel or silicone.
- Stainless steel: Whisks made of stainless steel not only look high-quality, but are also very stable and durable. They can also be cleaned in the dishwasher. The disadvantage here is that stainless steel can damage the coating of pots and pans when whisking.
- Silicone: A whisk made of silicone or plastic is dimensionally stable and heat-resistant. It is gentle on pots and pans, is also dishwasher safe and can be purchased in many bright colours. Because of the material, this version of the kitchen gadget is also the cheaper one. However, a whisk made of silicone is less stable and durable than the stainless steel models, because plastic can become porous and crack.
The handle of a whisk should fit well in the hand and be non-slip. There are versions made of wood, stainless steel or plastic. You can decide according to your own priorities. The important thing is that the handle is sturdy and feels good.
How big your whisk should be depends on what materials you want to whisk, in what quantity and where.
The thicker the ingredients and the larger the quantity, the larger the kitchen gadget should be in order to achieve the desired result as quickly as possible. If you are cooking in small quantities for a small household, a smaller whisk is sufficient.
A whisk should be as light as possible to make whisking easier. The lighter the whisk, the easier and faster it is to use. Models made of stainless steel are naturally heavier than those made of silicone. Your whisk should not exceed a weight of 100 to 300 grams.
Whisk: Frequently asked questions and answers
It is easy to get lost in the wide range of different whisks. Before buying a whisk, you should know a few basic things that can help you decide on the right whisk. We have therefore compiled the most important questions and answers on the subject of whisks to give you an overview.
What is a whisk?
To do this, the whisk, which was already used in the 18th century, is equipped with up to a dozen loops that converge in a handle. The elongated but elastic loops are arranged radially and can be made of stainless steel or silicone.
A whisk is easy to use. It is grasped by the handle and moved from the wrist to work the food with sloping movements. This steady action causes air bubbles to enter the liquid, which are then broken up. This creates a fine foam. Also, when mixing oily and watery liquids, the two are first separated and then blended, resulting in a mass at the end.
What types of whisks are there?
|Manual||The classic whisk is operated manually from the wrist||A lot of control, low cost, easy to use||Manual, more time-consuming|
|Electric||An electric whisk has a small motor in the handle that operates the whisk and stirs by itself. Alternatively, there are attachments with whisks for mixers or stir sticks||Less effort, quicker result||Cables necessary, higher cost|
|Battery operated||Small whisks such as milk frothers can be operated with a battery in the handle||No cables, no effort, time saving||Only suitable for very small quantities, only suitable for liquids|
Which type of whisk is ideal for you depends on the purpose for which you need a whisk. Since whisks of all types can also be purchased as inexpensive models, it can also make sense to equip your kitchen with several types of whisks and be equipped for all occasions.
What are the alternatives to a whisk?
- Whisk: A whisk is slightly harder than a whisk. It is larger and heavier and can therefore also stir semi-solid dough.
- Whisk: If you want to make something compact like a dough or chop things while mixing, you should use a whisk. The whisk, better known as a mixer, can have different attachments and dough hooks and can be operated either by hand or electrically. However, it is not suitable for stirring while cooking in a pot or pan.
- Plate whisk: To whisk liquids such as egg in plates, plate whisks are best suited. Their shape is adapted to plates.
- Pot whisk: A pot whisk is very similar to a whisk. However, it has a square handle. This makes it easy to reach all corners of the pot and nothing burns.
Is a mixer better than a whisk?
A mixer or whisk is much better than a whisk for making doughs or firmer textures because it is more stable. A mixer is used where things are firmer, but can also whip egg whites and cream. However, it is not suitable for stirring sauces or in pots. A whisk is more suitable where pots or pans are involved. A whisk is also better for whipping liquids until they are creamy and frothy, as it allows more oxygen to get between the ingredients. A whisk can also be used to refine chocolate or create a particularly fine texture.
What do I do if I don't have a whisk at hand?
It is important to get air into the mixture.
If you want to whip cream or egg whites but don't have a whisk or other mixing device at hand, there is a trick.
The principle of a whisk is to put air between the liquid to whip it and make it creamy. If you don't have a whisk handy, you can also use two forks and use them in the same way as you would with a whisk. However, you will need much more stamina and muscle power, as the tines of the fork are shorter than the arches of the whisk.
A whisk is a practical kitchen gadget that no household should be without. Before you buy a whisk, however, you should pay attention to some important criteria and consider where and for what you want to use your whisk.
Electric or battery-operated whisks can save you a lot of work, but they are not miracle weapons. If you want to be equipped for all occasions, you can buy different versions and models of whisks.
Image source: foodandmore / 123rf