You want to make your diet more wholesome? Then wholemeal rice is a good alternative to replace the more nutrient-poor white rice. It tastes a little different and you might need some time to get used to it, but then you will certainly appreciate it!
Whole grain rice reduces the risk of diabetes, keeps you fuller for longer and provides your body with important nutrients. So there are many reasons to choose whole grain rice. However, whole grain rice is more arsenic-laden than white rice because arsenic can stick to the husk - and yet (whole grain) rice is part of a healthy diet. To make it easier for you to find out, we have compiled the most important criteria for whole-grain rice and answered the most frequently asked questions.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 The Best Wholegrain Rice: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for whole grain rice
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about wholemeal rice answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
The most important facts
- Whole-grain rice has a stronger - usually somewhat earthy or nutty - flavour than white rice. This is because it is not husked and still contains a lot of nutrients due to the husk.
- Like white rice, whole-grain rice can also be used to prepare various dishes. Those who opt for a wholesome diet do not have to do without rice pudding, sushi and the like.
- Whole-grain rice raises the sugar level in the blood more slowly than white rice. That's why whole-grain rice is often a good choice for people with diabetes. Rice is also well tolerated by babies and even as a supplementary diet for dogs and cats. Arsenic is a component of all rice varieties, but there are differences from manufacturer to manufacturer. It is recommended to wash rice well and instead of using the swelling method, cook rice in a lot of water and drain off the dissolved arsenic.
The Best Wholegrain Rice: Our Picks
Even with wholemeal rice, there are differences in taste, preparation methods and dishes that you can enhance by choosing the rice. We have compiled a few products here to help you keep track of whole grain rice and make the right decision when choosing.
Buying and evaluation criteria for whole grain rice
If you want to choose a wholemeal rice, you should consider some criteria, which we will list below. If you follow them, you will find the perfect brown rice for your taste and dishes.
The cooking time for whole grain rice is longer than for white rice. This is because the husk makes the rice a little firmer. A tip: Always put the rice on first. That way it can simmer while you are still cutting the vegetables. Then you won't even notice the longer cooking time. This rice is also suitable for pressure cookers. You can shorten the cooking time.
Some types of brown rice can be stored in the refrigerator or frozen. You can cook larger portions and defrost them later. This feature makes up for the slightly longer cooking time.
Taste / Preparation
Wholemeal rice usually tastes a little earthy. You may need some time to get used to it. Before cooking, always be aware of the dish you want to prepare. If it's a Thai curry with fish, jasmine rice is a good choice; if it's an Indian curry, basmati rice might be better.
Sustainability is playing a role for more and more people. Some manufacturers have already opted for recyclable plastic or use paper bags for their products. Of course, it's best to buy as large a quantity as possible to save on packaging waste. If you don't want to decant rice at home, it is practical to make sure that the packaging still stands up well after opening. Do you already love wholemeal rice? Then stylish packs of different types of rice will look great on your shelf!
Guide: Frequently asked questions about wholemeal rice answered in detail
Why should I eat wholemeal rice?
Some people have concerns because there is more toxic arsenic on the husk of whole grain rice than on husked and polished rice. Rice contains arsenic because rice fields are submerged in water, which allows arsenic, which is naturally present in the soil in most growing areas, to adhere better to the wet roots. Very good washing in sufficient water and pouring off the water can flush out the arsenic. As a general rule, however, it is safe not to consume too much. It is best to combine other grains such as oats in your diet.
What types of whole-grain rice are there?
So there is an amazing amount to learn about rice. And maybe after this article you won't feel like eating bagged rice anymore, because you can only gain in terms of taste and health with knowledge about rice.
What are the healthy nutritional values of whole grain rice?
How do I prepare brown rice?
Whole-grain rice should be in every kitchen, because whole-grain rice not only tastes pleasantly nutty, but also gives your whole dish an exciting taste experience. With the right choice of variety and growing region, you can surprise your guests with how versatile brown rice can be.
The husk of brown rice has lots of important nutrients and is therefore healthy. It is low in calories and keeps you full for a long time. It is also said to be a real help with digestive problems. It has hardly any disadvantages compared to white rice, it even sticks together less often and can be stored well in the fridge and freezer.
Rice is a natural product and should therefore, like vegetables, be washed well before cooking. Then the balanced consumption is harmless.
[Titelbild: Wnaoki/ Pixabay]