Wi-Fi cameras offer a high level of security through surveillance. For those who like to be in control of what is happening, this camera is a good choice. The Wi-Fi connection makes it easier to use. The transmission on the mobile phone appeals to most people, as one can follow the recording live from anywhere in the world. The night vision function also makes it easy to record videos in the dark.
With our large Wi-Fi camera test 2021 we want to help you find the best wireless camera for you. We have compared indoor and outdoor Wi-Fi cameras and listed their advantages and disadvantages. This should make your purchase decision easier.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 The Best Wi-Fi Camera: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for Wi-Fi camera
- 5 Decision: What types of Wi-Fi camera are there and which one is right for me?
- 6 Guide: Frequently asked questions about Wi-Fi cameras answered in detail
- 6.1 Who is a wireless camera suitable for?
- 6.2 Which app is suitable for a Wi-Fi camera?
- 6.3 What size Wi-Fi camera should I buy?
- 6.4 What does a Wi-Fi camera cost?
- 6.5 What alternatives are there to a Wi-Fi camera?
- 6.6 How do I install a wireless camera?
- 6.7 In what degrees does a Wi-Fi camera move?
- 6.8 Where can I store the recordings of the Wi-Fi camera?
The most important facts
- A basic distinction is made between indoor Wi-Fi cameras and outdoor Wi-Fi cameras, both of which are available with additional features and in different price ranges.
- For people who don't want to lose sight of their baby or dog, the indoor camera is suitable because it is usually cheaper. And for those who want to protect their private surroundings from burglary, the outdoor camera is better because it is weatherproof.
The Best Wi-Fi Camera: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for Wi-Fi camera
In the following material, we will show you which Wi-Fi camera might appeal to you the most, based on the extensive aspects of a wireless camera.
The criteria that you can use to compare the Wi-Fi camera include:
The following sections explain the most important criteria in more detail.
The resolution is probably one of the most important aspects when buying a wireless camera. Whether you want to see the recording crystal clear and fluid or it is not so important to you depends on the buyer. Depending on the camera, the resolution ranges from pixels to megapixels. Accordingly, they are often available in Full HD.
However, the infrared does not radiate, so that your baby can continue to sleep in peace and no one is disturbed. This can be set in the app.
A camera with high resolution presents real colours. You have sharp and super clear images. The night vision offers a clear picture and videos over several metres, even in low light conditions.
A microphone and speaker are built in. If the camera is hanging outside over the front door, you can also use an app on your phone to talk to people standing outside the door. Or you want to talk to your child while you are at work. This also works great with the audio function.
There is also a function that recognises that your child is crying. You are also easily notified of this. You can also watch the recording live with sound.
You can reply with the voice function via Android/iOS mobile phone or your PC. The operation is accordingly simple.
Function with Alexa
The Amazon Echo Dot naturally makes interaction easier. This means you can control commands and wishes with Alexa by connecting both devices. This makes it easy to show the baby's nursery. The Wi-Fi camera can be connected to the mobile phone. Whether at home or internationally on the road, you won't miss a thing.
This function makes it easy to make decisions. You can play videos, stream live videos and turn the camera on or off with your voice using Alexa-enabled devices.
Through the screen, you can easily follow and listen to the videos on Alexa.
Recordings can be saved directly using an SD card. However, this is also possible with the cloud. Each recording can therefore be saved on the SD card or in the cloud, whereby no one can access your data on the SD card without permission.
A video is automatically recorded when motion is detected and the app will send the notification to your phone.
Want a wide angle around the living room? No problem for the camera. It pans around the whole room and gives you a panoramic view.
There are cameras that have an angle of up to 360 degrees. It pans and tilts with zoom. Horizontally, the angle is larger than vertically. With the zoom you can zoom in on details or zoom out for the wide angle view.
The size of the camera is relatively small. This means that whether it is placed on a table or mounted on a wall, it is hardly noticeable and also looks stylish.
The camera is available with lenses as small as 1 millimetre.
Whether it hangs in the children's room, living room or outside the front door, it looks like an accessory. So you don't have to worry that your home won't look homely any more.
Decision: What types of Wi-Fi camera are there and which one is right for me?
If you want to get a Wi-Fi camera, there are two types of products you can choose from:
- Indoor Wi-Fi camera
- Outdoor Wi-Fi camera
If you want to learn more about the different types of Wi-Fi cameras, you can read more about each in the following two sections.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about Wi-Fi cameras answered in detail
Who is a wireless camera suitable for?
When buying the camera, you have to think about whether you need it for outdoors or indoors. A high resolution makes it easier to use. You can watch the videos from your mobile phone, tablet or PC at any time, no matter where you are.
An indoor Wi-Fi camera is not always suitable for outdoor use, so keep that in mind as well.
The indoor camera is good for people who want to keep an eye on their baby at night, even if it is sleeping in another room. If you also need a camera for your office, the indoor Wi-Fi camera is a good choice.
If you want to keep an eye on your house or another building without being there yourself, you should buy an outdoor Wi-Fi camera. These have the advantage of being weatherproof and, like the indoor Wi-Fi camera, also have night vision.
Which app is suitable for a Wi-Fi camera?
This video introduces you to a good camera. You will also get some information.
I have listed some apps for you:
- MIPC App for Android or iOS
- HomeLink for iOS
- YI Home App for Android and iOS
- Cam4Home app for Android and iOS
What size Wi-Fi camera should I buy?
The size of the camera should fit the area that is being monitored. The cameras are already available with 1 millimetre lenses.
What does a Wi-Fi camera cost?
The prices for cameras with a not so good resolution, you can buy at a lower price, especially since you don't have such a good picture there. The more add-ons you have in the camera, the more you have to pay for them.
|Indoor Wi-Fi camera||from 30 euros|
|Outdoor Wi-Fi camera||from 50 euros|
For outdoor Wi-Fi cameras, the amounts range up to 250 euros, with different manufacturers offering the cameras at different prices. An indoor Wi-Fi camera can be bought for as little as 30 euros.
What alternatives are there to a Wi-Fi camera?
|Type||differences between the cameras|
|Network and IP camera||high speed signal transmission, very good video quality|
|Wireless camera||sends signal between a certain distance to the receiver|
However, the application is easier when the camera is connected to the Wi-Fi.
How do I install a wireless camera?
- Establish connection: On the back of the camera is a connector with which you connect the camera and the Wi-Fi router with a cable. The first test is easier with the cable and sources of error can thus be connected more easily.
- Open the user interface: To access the user interface of the IP camera, you need the IP address of the camera. Then open the user interface of your router. To do this, open a browser window and enter the IP address of the router in the header. The IP address should be on the back of the router.
- Log in: The user interface of the network router is usually protected by a password. You can find the password in the user manual or on the back of the router. Then enter the password in the login field and log in.
- View the list: You should then see the list of connected networks. If not, then look at Network or Home Network.
- Identify camera: Identify the IP camera in the list. IP Camera or IP Cam found? Then it is the desired network camera. If none of these designations appear, then it is best to check which devices are connected by cable. If you have only connected the camera to your router, this should not be a problem.
- Open the code in the next browser: After identifying the camera in the listing, there should be an IP address. The numerical code consists of 8 to 10 digits. Copy the numerical code and paste it into a new browser window. If the IP address is not found, simply insert the software into the CD-ROM drive.
- Open the user interface: After you have called up the inserted IP address, you must open the user interface of the camera.
- Insert the password: Then the login field appears again. Use the default password from the user manual. After logging in, further configurations can be made.
- Setup: After the initial installation, you can use the camera via the wireless connection.
In what degrees does a Wi-Fi camera move?
Where can I store the recordings of the Wi-Fi camera?
Image source: silverjohn/ 123rf.com