Whether you’re shopping, strolling through town, on your way to work or visiting a restaurant. You need one thing above all: your most important items safely in one place without the risk of forgetting anything. Sometimes you need more space and sometimes less, depending on the occasion and your mood you decide on the right model.
We are talking about the ladies’ handbag. It is your daily companion and can be used for many things. But the ladies’ handbag is also the icing on the cake when it comes to completely rounding off an outfit and setting highlights. A handbag is not only practical and an everyday companion, but also an absolute styling must-have for all women.
The Best Women’s Bag: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying bags for women
But how do you find the right bag that suits you and your needs? We have compiled an overview of important buying criteria and the most frequently asked questions. These are the following buying criteria:
- Material & Colour
In the next sections you will find out what you should look out for in order to find the right ladies’ bag.
Handbags for women come in all different sizes. Whether as a real space-saver to accompany you throughout the day or as a small stylish companion at the evening event in a chic gown. Depending on your needs, you may need less space for make-up, hairbrush and lipstick or a larger version that can hold both a calendar and a laptop.
In any case, you should make the size of your bag dependent on the intended use. If you have a bag that is too big, you might pack it fuller than necessary and end up noticing this when you carry it on your shoulder on one side. Bags that are too small quickly look stuffed and may not give you the added value you want.
Material & colour
Bags for women come in many different colours, materials, patterns and feels. When choosing a colour and material, the first thing to consider is what you like best. Whether leather, suede, fabric, plastic, nylon, canvas, denim, crochet, silk and many more these still vary in colour. But if you also want to pay attention to function and use, leather bags are a material that is durable and universal.
If you take good care of your leather bag, you can pack it heavier and don’t have to worry about the contents getting wet in a rain shower. With fabrics such as cotton, canvas or denim, you should be aware that your bag is more sensitive to stains and, above all, reacts to moisture. Cotton bags, however, may be easier to clean and save space in your suitcase.
The shapes of bags for women are very versatile and, together with material and colour, result in a new option and style possibility every time. Women’s bags are available in the following shapes:
- Handbags: They have short handles and are usually held in the hand or placed in the crook of the elbow. However, many bags also have a longer shoulder strap. They can be any size from small to large and are therefore very individual in their use, depending on the model.
- Clutches and evening bags: They are one thing above all: small and handy. They can usually hold a mobile phone, some money and make-up. Stylish looks with high-quality fabrics such as silk, sequins or satin are not uncommon. Narrow shoulder straps make for a chic appearance in an evening dress.
- Shopper: They are real space wonders and, what’s more, with long handles they are also easy to carry on the shoulder. They are one of the larger models among women’s bags and are suitable for leisure, sport and work as they offer plenty of space for your personal belongings.
- Shoulder bag: This bag for women is particularly practical as it keeps your hands free with the help of the shoulder strap. There are both small and larger models and are particularly suitable if you don’t want to hold your bag in your hands all the time. Both sporty and classic elegant models are available on the market.
- Business and laptop bags: There is plenty of room here for the things you need at work. Many small separate compartments offer space for neat organisation and most women’s bags have their own laptop compartment for safe transport. Business bags are understated and elegant and go with almost any outfit.
- Backpacks: They are a special feature of women’s bags. There are now also many fashionable backpacks that not only stand out for their functionality, but also for their stylish and fashionable appearance. They are particularly back-friendly thanks to two shoulder straps and are also available in small and large sizes.
So you have the choice of different shapes and models, which can score with different advantages depending on the one.
Bags are as versatile as the occasion they are worn for. They can be an organisational talent to keep all your important belongings in one place, but also a stylish highlight to complete your outfit.
If you are looking for a bag for work, you should pay attention not only to the look but also to the functionality and that the material and pattern are not too obtrusive and are suitable for the office. If you are looking for a bag for leisure, you have every conceivable option in terms of shape, colour, size and style.
Bags for women: The most important questions answered
Choosing the right bag for women is not always easy. We have answered the most important questions for you below.
What styles of bags are available for women?
Different bags are suitable depending on the occasion and outfit. If you are still unsure about the options, we have created an overview for you here.
- Everyday: This is where design and function come together. Besides being a real eye-catcher or a simple daily companion, this bag offers you above all enough space to carry everything you need in everyday life. Whether in black leather, small or large, with handles or a strap, it all depends on your needs.
- Evening event: It should not be missing at a chic evening event. Either casually tucked under the arm or held in the hand, there is usually room for a few but important items. Sumptuous designs, colours and materials round off your evening dress look.
- Business and office: Practical but stylish companions on the way to work and in the office. Plenty of space for all necessary things like calendar, laptop and lunch fit into this bag. Particularly plain colours and universal shapes are restrained and fit in with the dress code in the office.
- Sports: On the one hand, they offer more space for your sports outfit, but above all, they are often recognisable from afar in bright colours and exciting patterns. Those who carry a lot can also discover the sporty look of a backpack for themselves.
- Beach and holiday: Here bright colours meet hard-wearing materials. Water, sun and sand are no problem for the beach bag and colourful bags with fringes and striking shapes provide the right summer feeling on holiday.
So before you decide on a bag, think specifically about the occasion, style and how universally you would like to use your bag.
What features should a bag for women have?
This varies depending on how you want to use it. Each bag has its own advantages. These are more useful for one person than for another. When buying a bag, you can simply choose the model that catches your eye at first sight or think about what you want from your new bag.
Bags for women should always make you feel good. You should feel comfortable with your bag and it should match your type and style.
How do I care for and clean my bag?
Bags are used in many ways. They often stand on the floor and carry a few things. That’s why the right care and treatment is very important when they get dirty. Depending on the material, you should care for and clean your bag.
- Bags made of leather can be wiped with a damp cloth from time to time to remove coarse dirt. Extra care is possible with a leather spray and brush to remove even stubborn stains. Leather grease or leather milk provide a new shine.
- Depending on the model,textile bags are very easy to clean in the washing machine. Pay attention to the cleaning instructions inside the bag and turn the bag inside out beforehand. Be sure to remove all items from the bag beforehand so as not to damage the washing machine.
- Polyester bags are easiest to wipe clean with a damp cloth. Depending on the manufacturer, you can also clean them in the washing machine. However, be sure to follow the cleaning instructions.
The daily companion has to put up with a lot, but it can also be made to shine again easily. This way you can enjoy your new companion for a long time.
Styling tips for women’s bags: How to achieve the perfect look with your bag
The more versatile the bags you can buy, the more versatile the looks you can create with them. Casual looks with jeans, shirt and jacket are perfectly rounded off with almost any bag. Whether it’s a small shoulder bag with a wide strap or an XXL shopper that hangs casually over your shoulder.
Colours like brown, black or light colour accents fit here as well as almost all materials. For a chic appearance, small extravagant bags are a good choice. They are a highlight for every outfit and can range from simple and shiny to unusual in shape and colour.
At work and in the office, it is important to stick to the existing dress code. Less striking colours and shapes can be combined well with dresses, trouser suits or skirts and are not only practical but also a stylish finishing touch to your look.
Different occasions, different styles and versatile uses make it possible to find the right bag from a wide range. But above all, each model can score with its own charm and so it is not surprising that women usually do not own just one bag. Their many different styles show that it is best to have different bags for every occasion at home.
But even those who prefer just one all-rounder model will find what they are looking for in the world of women’s bags. Besides colour, shape and material, size also plays a role and with the right care you will enjoy your bag for a long time.
Sources: unsplash & 123rf