How many of you don't have a cap lying around at home? Probably hardly anyone. Because whether it's to keep out the shade in summer or simply as a stylish accessory to an outfit: caps are simply always on and look good on every woman. You just have to find the cap that suits you.
In the meantime, there is an incredibly large selection of caps for women that have been adapted to their needs. In this guide, we have compiled all the information you need to know if you want to get a new cap. Afterwards, nothing will stand in the way of your perfect cap look.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Women's Caps: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying women's caps
- 4 Women's Cap: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for women's caps: How to achieve the perfect cap look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Women's Caps: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying women's caps
Nowadays, it's not so easy to decide on a cap. There are some criteria you should consider when buying a cap. Not only in terms of style but also in terms of function.
These are the following buying criteria:
- UV - Protection
In the following, we will go into more detail about the individual buying criteria. We hope that they will help you to successfully decide on a cap.
Most caps for women are adjustable so that you can fit the cap to the circumference of your head. These caps are usually only available in one size. Adjustable caps have either a Velcro closure or a snapback closure.
Caps without a fastener for adjustment are available in the common sizes XS/S, S/M, M/L and L/XL. These then vary with a circumference of 54 - 61cm. To find out which cap size fits, you should first measure the circumference of your head. Use a tape measure or a string and then measure it with a folding rule or ruler.
As already mentioned, there are Velcro and snapback closures for women's caps. You are probably familiar with Velcro fastenings from shoes or similar. Snapback fasteners are small press studs that you can press into any hole, depending on the size of the cap you want.
Some caps have no closure at all. If you choose this option, you should be aware that it should fit perfectly. Caps with a closure are not a must in themselves, of course.
Caps are often divided into straight and curved visors. Straight visors are often found in snapback caps. This is a trend that has returned from the 80s.
The other variant is the curved visor. These are the classic baseball caps, which are often more popular with women. Nevertheless, both variants are of course also available for women. Many women are actually more flattered by snapback caps. We will explain in more detail later which version suits which woman.
Generally speaking, any cap is better than none when the sun is strong. Because by covering your scalp, far fewer UV rays can penetrate to it. Nevertheless, there are caps that are specially made to protect against UV rays.
These caps have a higher density and are coated with a UV-repellent material.
Women's Cap: The most important questions answered
When it comes to caps, there are many questions, both before and after the purchase. In the following part, we will try to answer all the important questions you may have before, during or after buying a cap.
What styles of caps are available for women?
While caps were once only suitable for men, this is quite different today. There is a wide range of caps for ladies. Over time, different styles have become established. Here we show you some of them.
- Snapback/Baseball: We have already introduced you to these variants. They are the most common caps. They come in all kinds of sizes, colours and styles. Nevertheless, there are other caps that may suit your style better.
- Trucker caps: Trucker caps have their own style by replacing the back half of the cap with a kind of net. This makes them the perfect companion to any summer outfit.
- Visor caps: Visor caps are caps that do not cover the top of the head. Instead, they provide shade for the face with the help of the visor and run around the head like a wreath.
Now that you know what styles of women's caps there are, you only have to find out which variant suits you best and pleases you. With this selection, there is sure to be something for everyone.
Are there ladies caps for high ponytail hairstyles?
Yes! Due to the high demand, there are now also caps with a hole for high ponytails. These caps either have such a large opening that they are suitable for different hairstyles or they have straps that lie on top of each other so that the cap has several openings. This means you can now combine your cap with new hairstyles.
Which ladies' cap is suitable for sporting activities?
There are actually caps that are designed for sporting activities. Runners' caps are made of material that draws perspiration away from the face and cools you with the evaporating sweat at the same time.
Generally, these caps are great for sports that are played outside in the sun. Tennis players also often wear caps to protect them from the sun and light. So if you regularly play sports outside, a runner's cap may be worthwhile.
How do I care for and clean my ladies cap?
Before you clean your cap, you should check that it is colourfast. To do this, rub your cap with a damp white cloth in a place that is not visible. If there is colour on the cloth, cleaning the cap will wash out its colour.
Otherwise, you can simply wash most caps in the dishwasher. To do this, you can place the cap on a bowl so that it does not slip in the machine. It is best to place the cap on the top shelf of the dishwasher so that it does not come into contact with food residue.
Alternatively, you can wash your cap by hand. To do this, place the cap in a bowl or washbasin with lukewarm or cold water. Add a little detergent and distribute it well in the water. Then simply rinse the cap with cold water. For stubborn stains, you can also use a toothbrush.
Styling tips for women's caps: How to achieve the perfect cap look
- Adjust the cap to your head size. It may sound obvious, but the bigger the head, the bigger the cap.
- Depending on the shape of your face, different caps can look advantageous. A distinction is made between round, square, oval and heart-shaped faces.
- Consider which hairstyle generally looks good on you. If you are the type to wear your hair in a high ponytail, you might want to complement your look with a matching cap.
- In general, caps can look good with any outfit. You may want to try colour-coordinating your clothes and cap.
While it may seem obvious that people with larger, heads also wear a larger cap, it's still important to mention it again. If the cap doesn't fit properly, the whole look looks kind of silly.
Depending on the shape of your face, some caps offer certain advantages. Here we have listed in brief which caps flatter the respective face shape.
- Round faces: Round faces can wear caps with a straight peak particularly well, as it gives you a few more edges that are balanced out by the shape of the face.
- Square faces: Here you should go for a cap with a large crown and curved peak. This combination gives your face a certain softness.
- Oval faces: To prevent oval faces from becoming even more elongated, you should get a cap with a flat crown. A straight peak can also be an advantage here.
- Heart-shaped faces: Actually, all caps can be worn well on heart-shaped faces. In general, however, just wear the cap you feel most comfortable with.
Caps for high ponytails are now totally trendy and look super good. You can also finally wear a chignon with these caps. If boxer braids look good on you, you can also wear this hairstyle with a cap.
Black or white caps look especially good when you combine them with complementary styles, i.e. a black cap with a light-coloured outfit and vice versa. Otherwise, you can try to match the colour of your cap to your outfit.
Caps suit everyone. You just need to find the right one for your look. Find out about the size and shape to perfect your outfit. The style of the cap should also be adapted to your preferences and your look. Just try something out.
It also depends on what you need the cap for. If you need a cap for sports or as sun protection, you should pay attention to other criteria. As you can see: Caps are absolute all-rounders that are suitable for almost every situation and style.
Sources: Unsplash & 123rf