If you are regularly out cycling, a good women's cycling jacket is an absolute must. Whether on sporty bike tours, on the way to work or simply in your free time - your cycling jacket should not only protect you from wind and weather, but also be comfortable and fit nicely to your body.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Women´s Cycling Jackets: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What you should look for when buying a women's cycling jacket
- 4 Cycling jackets for women: The most important questions answered
- 4.1 What types of women's cycling jackets are there?
- 4.2 How should a women's cycling jacket fit?
- 4.3 Which women's cycling jacket is suitable for which weather?
- 4.4 What does the ideal women's cycling jacket for mountain bike tours look like?
- 4.5 What does the ideal women's cycling jacket for road bike tours look like?
- 4.6 What is the ideal women's cycling jacket for trekking bike tours?
- 5 Conclusion
The Best Women´s Cycling Jackets: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What you should look for when buying a women's cycling jacket
A cycling jacket is more than just a conventional rain jacket or wind stopper. In order to find the ideal women's cycling jacket, you should pay attention to the following buying criteria:
- Weather protection
- Visibility in the dark
- Weight and volume
In the following section you will learn more about what makes a good women's cycling jacket.
Rain, storm, snow - always this weather. It can be quite a nuisance. Especially if you're not dressed appropriately. A cycling jacket is not much use if it doesn't keep you warm and dry.
Especially on a bike, it can get very windy with the wind. With strong gusts of wind, the outside temperature can quickly feel several degrees cooler. To prevent you from getting chilled, a good women's cycling jacket should offer sufficient wind protection. With a windproof membrane, such as Windstopper jackets, even cold, stinging wind is no longer an issue.
To arrive dry at your destination in the rain, your cycling jacket should be waterproof or at least water-repellent. You can recognise the corresponding water protection by the water column value. Really waterproof jackets should have a water column value of 10,000 millimetres and the seams on the inside should also be sealed with tape.
If you don't want to be without your bike even on days with sub-zero temperatures, your body should be protected from the icy cold. Your cycling jacket should therefore be equipped with thermal insulation that reduces the loss of your own body heat and traps the air. So that it doesn't get too warm for you and you start to sweat, it is beneficial if the membrane of your women's cycling jacket is also breathable.
Visibility in the dark
If you are mainly riding in traffic, you need a cycling jacket that stands out in the dark. Reflectors on the cycling jacket will ensure this. If you like something a little more unusual, a women's cycling jacket in neon colours such as neon yellow, pink or green is just the thing. With such a signal colour, you will be noticed by drivers, especially on busy roads at dusk.
Another important point is the material from which the women's cycling jacket is made. The majority of cycling jackets are made of elastane and polyester (PES).
Elastane ensures the elasticity and stretch of the cycling jacket so that you can move more freely.
Polyester (PES) is very often found in outdoor clothing. This is mainly due to the fabric's dirt- and water-repellent properties. It hardly absorbs any moisture and traps its own body heat.
An additional polyurethane content (PUR) makes the jacket particularly tear-resistant, which prolongs its life. A lined women's cycling jacket with fleece inside is particularly warm and cosy. This material offers a high level of insulation and is ideal for the cold days of the year.
Weight and volume
Especially on sporty cycling tours, the weight and volume of the cycling clothing is interesting. The rule here is: the less, the better. Because extra weight makes the ride unnecessarily more strenuous. Ultra-light cycling jackets for women will get you to your destination without making you sweat just from carrying the jacket's own weight. A small pack size is just as advantageous for a cycling jacket for longer cycling tours. It can be easily and uncomplicatedly stowed away as soon as the sun comes out.
Cycling jackets for women: The most important questions answered
When buying a women's cycling jacket, some questions may arise that are best answered in advance. The areas of use of the cycling jacket can differ and therefore the purchase should be well considered.
In this section, the most important and frequently asked questions are answered to make your decision easier.
What types of women's cycling jackets are there?
- Softshell cycling jacket for women: These cycling jackets are made of very elastic and breathable fabric. It provides more comfort and freedom of movement during the ride. A women's cycling jacket made of softshell is the optimal cycling jacket for sporty cycling tours on warmer days.
- Hardshell cycling jacket for women: In contrast to softshell cycling jackets, the material of hardshell cycling jackets is stiffer, but also more robust. It protects particularly well against strong wind and is usually more waterproof. Because of the reduced freedom of movement, hardshell women's cycling jackets are more recommended for daily rides to the office or fast rides into the city.
- Windproof cycling jacket for women: For windy days, a windbreaker cycling jacket is suitable because of its highly windproof membrane. It is ideal for cycling tours with many steep descents. Annoying flapping of the jacket during the ride is no longer a problem.
- Rain protection cycling jacket for women: Rain protection cycling jackets can withstand constant rain with their completely waterproof membrane. They are available as softshell or hardshell versions. However, high rain protection also means less breathability, which is why they are less recommended for warm weather.
- Thermal cycling jacket for women: Stay warm, even in icy conditions. The high-performance thermal insulation of a thermal women's cycling jacket can store the body heat generated particularly well.
- Sleeveless cycling waistcoat for ladies: For hot summer days, a thick cycling jacket with long sleeves is not necessary. Nevertheless, it can get a bit chilly at the top in light winds. A sleeveless cycling waistcoat for your upper body can help. There are also women's cycling jackets with detachable zip-off sleeves. If your arms get chilly in the evening, you can easily attach the sleeves to your jacket with the zips provided. The women's cycling waistcoat becomes a complete women's cycling jacket. So you have 2 in 1.
The different types of women's cycling jackets each have special properties that offer their advantages depending on the area of use and weather conditions.
How should a women's cycling jacket fit?
As you will mainly be wearing the cycling jacket in a bent forward sitting position with your arms stretched out, it must go far along the back and have long sleeves.
In order to wear a helmet in the rain without any problems, the hood of the cycling jacket must be large enough to be easily pulled over the helmet. An additional elastic band on the hood to tighten it is ideal here. This keeps it in place even in strong winds.
Which women's cycling jacket is suitable for which weather?
Lined women's cycling jackets with sufficient thermal insulation are particularly suitable for the sub-zero temperatures in winter. Thanks to their heat-insulating membrane, no cold air enters and no heat escapes.
On rainy days, waterproof rain protection cycling jackets for ladies are a must. Their upper body and clothes stay dry and they don't need to take a change of clothes for safety. The best-performing cycling jackets, which keep you dry even in constant storm rain, reach a water column value of 30,000 mm.
What does the ideal women's cycling jacket for mountain bike tours look like?
What does the ideal women's cycling jacket for road bike tours look like?
What is the ideal women's cycling jacket for trekking bike tours?
A women's cycling jacket is perfect if you are looking for protection from the weather. With reflectors on the jacket, you can't be missed even in the dark. If you want to stand out stylishly not only at night but also during the day, then dare to wear neon-coloured women's cycling jackets.
For everyday use, for MTB, road bike or trekking bike tours - a wide range of uses is possible. However, each use also has different requirements. The best way to make the right choice is to consider when you will mainly wear the jacket.
Picture source: unsplash.com / Coen van de Broe