The most beautiful and simplest garment is the dress. With one piece of clothing you are so well dressed and save further time thinking about what to combine. With hardly any other garment you are so easily and quickly well dressed. That is why no lady should be without a dress.
Whether mini, midi or maxi, chic or casual, there is a dress for every occasion that will make you an eye-catcher. Due to the variety of cuts and materials, you have a wide choice and will find the perfect dress for you. The ease of use and the great selection make dresses real must-haves in your wardrobe.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Women's Dress: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying women's dresses
- 4 Women's dresses: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for women's dresses: How to achieve the perfect dress look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Women's Dress: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying women's dresses
From mini, to midi, to maxi: there is a huge selection of dresses. There are different cuts and materials that you should consider. There are criteria that you should not ignore when choosing your perfect dress.
These are the following buying criteria:
In the following sections you will learn more about each of the buying criteria for the perfect dress.
Dresses come in many different cuts. You need to find out which cut suits you before you decide to buy.
There are figure-hugging dresses, loose-fitting dresses, long dresses, medium-length dresses and short dresses. Your choice will certainly depend on the occasion (see below), but also on your figure.
Which part of your body do you want to emphasise? If you want to show off your back, choose a dress with a back cut-out; if you want to conceal your belly, don't choose a dress that fits tightly and smoothly around the belly, but a loose-falling dress with sewn-in pleats and patterns that hug the belly area.
The right size is especially important for dresses so that they fit perfectly and show you off to your best advantage. There are size charts to help you choose the right size.
It often helps to try on dresses from different brands, as they sometimes come in different sizes. Here, too, the size chart in the product view will help.
For slightly rounder ladies, there is the department for large sizes. The selection is perfectly tailored to show off your curves.
The occasion is, of course, a particularly important criterion, as this is where you decide whether you want to look dressier or more casual. Here you decide whether it should be more of a streetwear or a ball gown. Whether it's a wedding, summer party, Christmas party or New Year's Eve, there is the perfect women's dress for every occasion.
The wide selection of dresses, sometimes flashier, sometimes plainer, allows you to be equipped with a dress for every occasion. In winter, wear a long-sleeved dress, in summer a short-sleeved dress. In summer combine sandals and sunglasses, in winter boots and a beanie.
Women's dresses are made of many different materials. The material determines the aesthetics as well as the wearing comfort and durability.
The material of women's dresses is very versatile. There are women's dresses made of cotton, wool, silk, (artificial) leather, but also polyester, tulle and sequins. So for every season and every occasion there is the possibility to choose the right dress made of the right material. You can choose an airy and cooling or a warming dress.
The interplay of the buying criteria leads to your perfect choice of women's dress. By considering the occasion for which you are looking for a dress, which cut is suitable for you and for which season you need it, or which material you prefer, you can find your ladies' dress.
Women's dresses: The most important questions answered
Choosing the right dress for women is not always easy. For this reason, we answer the most important questions about dresses for ladies below.
In which styles are women's dresses available?
The styles of dresses differ depending on the occasion. They are available for everyday wear or for special occasions. We explain the differences to you in the following.
- Casual: Casual dresses are the all-rounders among women's dresses. You can wear these dresses every day and often combine them more casually with sneakers or upgrade them with a boot / pump. Casual dresses are often made of materials such as cotton, wool, polyester or silk, which can easily be sewn into plain cuts.
They often come in A-line, mini, midi, but also maxi and vary in arm length between narrow straps, short, 3/4 and long sleeves. There are also many variations in the neckline, ranging from turtlenecks, turtlenecks, round necks, V-necks, waterfalls or even submarine necks. In terms of colour, we often see casual dresses in muted colours, but they can be bought in all colours. Especially in summer, dresses are usually colourful and come in different patterns.
- Chic: Chic dresses often come in more materials. In addition to the materials mentioned under casual, tulle and sequins are often used here. Fancy dresses vary greatly in design, as they are sought after for very different fancy occasions. They come in all lengths, with all sleeve lengths and all neckline variations. There are also no limits to the colours. Using the filter option, you can easily narrow down colours, cuts and materials to find the right dress for your occasion.
What are the cuts of women's dresses?
In addition to styles, there is a wide range of cuts and special features of women's dresses that you should definitely know about. We present a small selection of distinctive cuts.
- A-line: The A-line is available in short and long. The cut is rather simple and, as the name suggests, diverges slightly in an A-shape. You can find the A-line in both dressy and casual styles.
- Maxi, Midi, Mini: Maxi, Midi and Mini are big differences in the length of your women's dress.
- Mermaid: The mermaid model is long and figure-hugging. It is flared from the knees up.
- Halter: The halter dress is often backless. The straps come together at the neck.
- Babydoll: The babydoll is a loose-fitting dress that widens from the bust. Often there are additional seams, from which the dress becomes more waves / pleats, so that it appears more airy.
- Cocktail: The cocktail dress describes the classic short evening dress. It can be figure-hugging, but also fitted and then more flowing.
- Sheath: The sheath dress is quite figure-hugging and short, but elegant and chic. It is often worn in offices where a more chic look is desired.
- Wrap dress: The wrap dress can be worn sweetly and playfully as well as provocatively. It has a V-neckline due to the wrap, is tight at the waist and then falls loosely. It comes in short, midi and long.
How can I tell if my women's dress fits well?
A dress should fit well so that you always feel comfortable in it. To ensure this, you should pay attention to the following.
- The dress should not cut uncomfortably. Especially with tight dresses, it can happen that it does not fit well. Try a different size, a different brand or a different cut.
- It should not have any unwanted wrinkles.
- For you to feel comfortable, the fabric should not be unwantedly bulky or stretchy.
- Make sure (especially with tight-fitting dresses) that the sleeves sit neatly at the shoulder. If the shoulder seam pulls up too far, the dress is too small in the small of the back. If it sits too far down, it is too big. (This of course excludes dresses that have a loose cut in the bust and are meant to fall casually)
- The dress should be appropriate for your size. Make sure it's not too long and you'll trip over the fabric, and not too short so that it slips up too far for you.
How do I care for and clean my women's dress?
Since there are many different materials in women's dresses, always pay attention to the cleaning instructions on the label. These will tell you how to wash your women's dress. Each material requires different care, for example, you should only hand wash silk, while you may wash cotton, viscose, lycocell or polyester frequently on 30-40 degrees.
For materials like viscose, a gentle wash cycle is also recommended. Some machines offer a gentle wool wash cycle. Please read up on this yourself. If you follow the individual washing recommendations on the label, your clothes should always remain in good condition.
Styling tips for women's dresses: How to achieve the perfect dress look
- Find out what colour suits you. For example, you can use it to set off your eyes.
- A sporty look with a dress looks casual and special at the same time. Combine your dress with sneakers and a denim jacket to look chic and sporty.
- Your look becomes elegant when combined with jewellery, a coat and ankle boots. A small heel stretches and accentuates your legs.
- To be able to wear a dress in winter, combine it with tights and boots. Add a woollen coat and a beanie and you have a winter dress look.
Dresses can be combined in many different ways. Always try to create new looks to make your dresses even more versatile.
Women's dresses are super versatile. No matter what the occasion, a dress offers you the opportunity to appear top dressed. Most dresses can be styled in a variety of ways and combined in both smart and casual ways.
Go casual in the morning by wearing a dress in combination with sneakers and a coat and then switch to pumps to make the look a little more chic. In short: a small selection of women's dresses should not be missing from any wardrobe.
Featured image source: Unsplash / Tamara Bellis