They used to be associated with the punk scene and are now an important item of clothing in every wardrobe: the leather jacket. Whether classic in black, with frills, rivets, eye-catching gold embellishments or as a striking eye-catcher, the leather jacket is so versatile that it has been around for several years and is not going out of fashion.
With this article, we want to help you find the perfect leather jacket for you and give you an overview of the current models on the market. In doing so, we address important questions and tips.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Women's Leather Jacket: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying women's leather jackets
- 4 Women's leather jackets: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for women's leather jackets: How to achieve the perfect leather look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Women's Leather Jacket: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying women's leather jackets
Women's leather jackets can vary greatly not only in price but also in quality and design. Therefore, it is not always easy to choose the right leather jacket. With this overview of criteria, we want to help you find the right one for you.
These are the following buying criteria:
- Type of material
- Additional features
The following is a more detailed explanation of the purchase criteria mentioned and what is so important about them.
Type of material
Basically, leather jackets for women can be divided into versions made of genuine leather and imitation leather. Genuine leather is known for its stability and durability. There are different types of leather from which leather jackets can be made. The most popular materials are sheepskin, lamb or goatskin. These are easy to care for and can be cleaned with care creams. They also adapt individually to your body shapes and are a long-lasting investment.
Faux leather jackets, on the other hand, are made of polyester and are coated with a layer of polyurethane to imitate the surface of real leather. However, faux leather is not quite as durable, as it tends to crack or peel off this outer layer over time. It also has less breathability compared to real leather. However, it is still a good and stylish alternative if you don't want to buy animal leather products for ethical reasons. Furthermore, faux leather jackets are considerably cheaper.
There are many variations in the shape of women's leather jackets, depending on the manufacturer. Nevertheless, leather jackets can be roughly divided into the following categories: Waist-hugging, oversized, cropped, long, with or without collar, with or without zip.
Leather jackets that emphasise the waist are usually flared and tighter at the waist. Sometimes they have a peplum at the waist, which offsets the harshness of the jacket and makes it look a little more playful. Leather jackets with a waist accentuation emphasise female figures and usually look elegant. If you have a rather boxy or straight body shape, you should go for the other shapes. Oversized or shorter jackets, which are usually straight-cut, are suitable. Oversized is usually somewhat casual and is suitable for loosening up an outfit.
Leather jackets for women also come with or without a collar, as well as with or without a fastener. If the jacket is also to be worn in winter, the closable version with collar is definitely recommended. Leather jackets without zips, on the other hand, usually look more elegant.
Women's leather jackets are most popular in the classic colour black. Black is timeless, particularly versatile and therefore a classic. However, ladies' leather jackets are not only available in black as an all-rounder, but also in all imaginable shades. You can go for more simple colours like brown, cognac, beige or old rose. On the other hand, purple or other bright colours like royal blue are eye-catchers. If you want to go for colour blocking, this is the right choice.
The leather jacket can also be combined in the autumn colours Bordeaux red, dark green and mustard yellow. So there are no limits to your own preferences and you can decide on your preferred colour. It is quite clear that restrained colours such as brown and grey tones are generally easier to combine. However, if you have a more unusual style, you might prefer bright colours.
Leather jackets for women can be open or close. If they are open, there are usually few details and the models are kept rather simple. However, a zip is often used so that the jacket can be closed. This zip and other metal details on the sleeves or belt are common in the colours gold, silver or rose gold.
Other details can be rivet embellishments or special prints on rocky styles. Elements such as rhinestones or glittering stones are also details that enhance a plain jacket. Here you can match your existing wardrobe and choose the jacket that suits you.
Women's leather jackets can also be converted into winter jackets with fur inserts or lining. The fur usually reaches up to the collar, so that the neck and chest area in particular are warmed. The leather jackets are usually a little oversized, so you can wear a jumper underneath. Other features are belts at the hips, which make the jacket look more casual and rocky
Women's leather jackets: The most important questions answered
Since there is such a wide range of leather jackets for women, it is often very difficult to decide on the right model. Therefore, it is important to first get an overview of the available range and the different styles in order to make the decision easier later on. In the following paragraphs, we will answer the most important questions about leather jackets and give you valuable tips along the way.
In which styles are ladies leather jackets available?
There are different styles of leather jackets for ladies. The most important types are briefly presented in the following list:
- Short leather jackets: Short leather jackets for women usually do not go above the hips and are particularly flattering on those with a pronounced waist. Some of them are combined with a lap insert for a more elegant and playful look. They are also suitable for small and petite women, as they are not so bulky and do not take up so much space due to their length.
- Leather jackets with metal trim: Women's leather jackets usually have a zip, which can be silver or gold, depending on the model. Other embellishments on the sleeves or hips also add a rocking flair.
- Lined leather jackets: They are particularly advantageous in winter because they are stylish and yet keep you warm. The fur can be real or faux fur.
- Faux leather jackets: Faux leather jackets for women have the advantage that they are cheaper and usually more in line with current fashion trends. They are made on polyester and a polyurethane layer and last approx. 3 - 5 years, depending on the manufacturer.
Since there is such a large variety of leather jackets for ladies, only the most important upper categories could be discussed here. Ultimately, every leather jacket is different and should, if possible, be tried on before buying and compared with the other pieces in your own wardrobe.
How do I know if my women's Leather jacket fits well?
As with any other jacket, you can tell how well a women's leather jacket fits by looking at the shoulders and, in the case of waist-fitting jackets, also at the waist. The jacket should fit snugly around the shoulders and not overhang the upper arms.
The exception here is the so-called oversized look. In this case, it is intended that the jacket is "oversized", which is why a loose hanging of the jacket over the shoulders is permitted and even desired. You should feel comfortable in the jacket and if you feel constricted, rather go for a larger size.
Which leather jacket is suitable for small women?
Small women should go for short versions that don't look too dumpy. If you have a pronounced waist, it is advisable to go for versions with a lap or waist accentuation. However, it is basically up to you and also the new trend of the oversized look can be advantageous for small women. So the important thing is to try out as much as possible to find the right jacket.
Styling tips for women's leather jackets: How to achieve the perfect leather look
Here are some examples of how you can combine women's leather jackets in a variety of ways. Whether sporty, elegant or as an everyday outfit: here you are sure to find a look that suits you.
- Rocking: It's best to go for a black leather jacket with lots of metal detail. Go with destroyed jeans and sneakers. However, the jacket can also be combined with other leather pieces such as leather boots or leather trousers for a rocking look.
- Sporty: A leather jacket can also be styled with a sweatshirt, skinny jeans and sneakers for a sporty casual outfit. It can also be combined with sports trousers or sporty fabric trousers.
- Business: The guidelines for business outfits are becoming increasingly relaxed and so in young companies a leather jacket can be worn instead of a blazer. This gives the office outfit a casual touch and brings variety into the office wardrobe. It is best to keep the outfit simple in colours such as white, light blue or grey.
- Elegant: In combination with summer or cocktail dresses, the leather jacket can look elegant and chic. Make sure to use dark colours like black or burgundy.
- Casual: As a simple summer outfit, the leather jacket can be combined with a simple T-shirt and jeans. Sneakers, sandals or ballerinas can be worn with it. Instead of jeans, wide fabric trousers can also be worn.
This shows that the leather jacket garment can be used in many different ways, especially for women, and creates an interesting contrast when combined with delicate dresses.
Because there are so many women's leather jackets on the market, there is actually something for every type. The women's leather jacket itself not only comes in different styles, it can also have a different effect with the rest of the outfit. It complements a simple outfit with a different texture and gives it a slightly rocky touch.
However, there are also examples that are particularly simple and complement an elegant dress well. This makes the leather jacket for women a classic that is timeless and impresses with its longevity.
Image source: unsplash / 123rf