Women's underwear, every woman needs it. But the search for the right piece is often very tedious. To make your underwear search a pleasure instead of a burden, we will help you.
The choice between different types is huge, both in design options and colour you can find almost anything. However, not only your taste but also the ideal fit is crucial to be perfectly styled.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Women's Lingerie: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What you should look for when buying lingerie
- 4 Lingerie: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for lingerie: How to achieve the perfect look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Women's Lingerie: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What you should look for when buying lingerie
Due to the large selection of women's underwear, it is understandable if the decision for a model is not easy for you. We have selected the most important chewing criteria for you, which you should consider before making a purchase.
The following points should help you to choose the perfect lingerie for you:
The features mentioned are discussed in more detail below.
With both panties and bras, it's all about the ideal fit. No matter how beautiful the design, if the underwear is too small or too big, it just doesn't look good.
It should be noted that there are different ways of indicating the size of women's underwear in different countries. While the Italians measure cup sizes from 1 to 6, in Germany it is customary to measure from 70 to 95 in intervals of 5. So if you are buying a bra abroad, it is better to check the respective sizes again.
Basically, the size of a bra depends on the circumference of the bust and the width of the underbust. If you are unsure which size is right for you, it is advisable to get advice in a shop.
With panties, finding the right size is usually easier because you know what size panties you usually buy. With pants, it is usually the same.
To find the design that is most appealing to you, you need to do a little research on the models available on the market. The most common panties at the moment are briefs, panties and thongs or Brazilian briefs. Which model is considered the most beautiful is, of course, objective.
When it comes to bras, a basic distinction can be made between models with or without underwire. There are also triangle bras, half-cup bras, push-up or super push-up bras and strapless bras. Here, too, the choice of model depends on personal taste.
However, apart from taste, the purpose of the lingerie should also be considered. If the bra is to be worn with an off-the-shoulder top or dress, we advise a strapless bra. If the focus is on presenting a beautiful décolleté, push-up or super push-up bras are recommended, depending on the bust size. On the other hand, triangle bras and half-cup bras are a comfortable alternative for casual wear.
Similar things should be considered before buying panties. For example, a thong makes little sense for sporting purposes, but is worth considering under leggings or tight trousers because otherwise the contours of the pants would show.
The purpose, i.e. the functionality of the lingerie, should play an important role in the purchase decision. It determines the material of the underwear in particular.
For sporting purposes, breathable materials that have been specially produced for this purpose are suitable. However, if the bra is to be worn to a ball, for example, the first thing to consider is the colour, so that the bra does not stand out negatively, and secondly, whether the model may have straps or not.
In order to be able to compromise, there are also bras with removable straps if required.
Colour is, of course, largely a matter of taste. Nowadays, women's underwear is available in almost every colour. However, when putting together an outfit, the colour of the underwear should also be considered. A clearly visible pair of dark panties under a white dress can quickly ruin the look. The same applies to a dark bra under a light-coloured top.
In general, bright colours are therefore less recommended for women's underwear, as they often stand out unintentionally from the rest of the clothing. Popular colours are white, black and beige. These are neutral and do not stand out unpleasantly under normal clothing.
The choice of material is also not easy. There are now women's underwear made from a wide variety of materials. The most common are: Cotton, silk, satin, lace or even bamboo.
All you can do is try out which material suits you better and which doesn't. Of course, the look of the lingerie depends on the material. Of course, the look of the lingerie is also determined by the material. A lace bra looks different from a classic cotton bra. The same goes for panties: satin looks more elegant than many other materials.
Lingerie: The most important questions answered
With so many different styles to choose from, it can be difficult to make a decision. That's why we've put together the most important questions about lingerie to help you make your choice.
What types of lingerie are there?
As mentioned briefly in the last chapter, there are a number of different models. This makes it possible to satisfy different tastes, but can also be a burden when deciding what to buy. Therefore, all bra and panty models are listed below.
- Triangle bra: This is a bra with a rather low neckline and triangular cups. The bust is only slightly supported here. That is why this bra is perfect for small, firm breasts. This model is recommended when a basic style and light support is desired.
- Half cup bra: This also has a low neckline, but this time it emphasises the décolleté. The bust is supported at the base by an underwire. This shape can be recognised by the classic, "spectacle-shaped" underwire. This bra is particularly suitable for large breasts.
- Push-up/super push-up: A push-up bra emphasises the bust by lifting it and pushing it towards the centre. The padding increases the volume. Recommended if you want to accentuate your décolleté with an additional volume effect. This bra shape ranges from light to super padded, and is available both with and without underwire.
- Strapless bra: The bandeau bra also comes without straps. It can be with or without underwire. This model is also available with push-up. Furthermore, this bra has a silicone elastic inside so that it fits well. The bra goes well with strapless dresses.
The different panty models follow below:
- Briefs: Has a moderate leg cut. The model can have different sizes at the waist and side, either low, medium or high. These briefs cover the bottom. Recommended for those who like to be comfortable.
- Panty: These pants cover the hips completely and are cut below the bottom. Depending on the material, it can be opaque or slightly shaping. Also available in different fits. These pants are well suited for sports.
- Thong/Brazil briefs: Similar to a brief at the front, but has very little fabric at the back, leaving the bottom completely uncovered. These briefs are also available in different fits. The difference with Brazil briefs is that the back of the latter is wider than the thong. Both are recommended for close-fitting clothing.
If you are not sure which model is most comfortable for you, it is best to try them out. Theory and practice are not always the same and can be perceived differently.
Which lingerie to choose?
We recommend that you follow all our tips and then try out what works best for you in practice. However, keep in mind the function of the lingerie, and colour is not insignificant either. Unwanted attention to the underwear, through too flashy colours, can quickly become unpleasant.
Where can you buy lingerie?
Women's underwear can be purchased both online and in stores. Particularly popular shops that specialise purely in underwear are, for example, Intimissimi, Palmers or Hunkemöller.
However, underwear is also available in most clothing shops, such as H&M, both in stores and online. Online shops such as OTTO or Zalando also offer lingerie. Where to buy should also be decided by the financial framework. Lingerie from Intimissimi, Hunkemöller and Palmers tends to be more expensive, but usually of a higher quality.
How do I care for and clean my lingerie?
First of all, follow the washing instructions in the respective model. As a rule, bras should not be washed at more than 30° Celsius. For particularly delicate items, hand washing is even recommended.
Panties can be washed at 30° to 60° degrees, depending on the model, but here too it is essential to follow the washing instructions in the product.
Styling tips for lingerie: How to achieve the perfect look
The fit is the be-all and end-all of underwear. Neither a bra that is too big nor too small looks good. Since not everyone will see you in underwear, the perfect look depends a lot on your personal preferences. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable in your lingerie.
Lingerie is an essential piece of clothing, every woman has and needs it. The ideal underwear should depend on its function, bra with or without straps, push-up or not. In addition, the colour of the underwear should not stand out unpleasantly from the rest of the outfit.
Depending on personal taste, lingerie can be exclusively functional, playful or even sexy. However, a good fit and a comfortable feel should be the first priority.
Contributed image: unsplash.com/ Fahad Waseem