Jogging is a popular sport. It can be done practically at any time of the day or year. It trains your stamina, burns calories and gets you out in nature. Suitable clothing is available in a wide variety of forms.
Running clothes for women have to meet certain requirements if you don't just put them on for a visit to the supermarket. You may expose yourself to extreme weather conditions or use only sunny days for jogging. The good thing is that there is something for every requirement and every lady.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Women's Running Clothes: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying running clothes for women
- 4 Women's running clothes: The most important questions answered
- 4.1 What types of running clothes are there for women?
- 4.2 How do I wash my running clothes properly?
- 4.3 How do I find the right running clothes for the season?
- 4.4 Do running clothes come in plus and minus sizes?
- 4.5 At what time of year should I wear running clothes with reflectors?
- 4.6 Is there running clothing with UV protection?
- 5 Conclusion
The Best Women's Running Clothes: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying running clothes for women
It is easy to get lost in the variety of women's running clothes. That's why we have done some research for you and found out what is important when choosing.
These are the following buying criteria:
- Material thickness
- Weather resistance
Below we briefly explain why these criteria should be considered when choosing your women's running clothes.
This should be chosen according to the season, as long tops or trousers are not necessarily needed in summer. For the transitional seasons, many runners go for long-sleeved tops, but continue to wear shorts. In winter, leggings are advisable as they regulate the warmth of the leg muscles.
However, one's own sensitivity to heat and cold plays the decisive role. Some hard-core athletes run in shorts in all seasons, others wear leggings even in summer. Some runners use warmer clothing to intensify sweating and thus burn more calories.
If you jog all year round, you should have a varied collection of running clothes to be prepared for all weather conditions.
This should also be chosen in conjunction with the respective season or weather conditions. In any case, running clothes should be breathable.
Synthetic fibres are recommended for higher temperatures. Humidity must be able to pass from the inside to the outside. That is why cotton clothing is not recommended. They absorb sweat and cling to the skin like a cold rag. This can cool down the muscles and lead to tension.
In the cold season, rain- and windproof jackets should be worn over warming textiles such as fleece. Breathability is also essential here. Look for this feature in the product description.
On warm, dry days, this criterion is not necessarily the most important. However, it is only one of four seasons in which we can rely on good weather.
In autumn, rain and wind are to be expected, although temperatures can be mild at times. That's why you should choose running clothes that offer protection from rain and wind, but are not too warm and of course still breathable.
At low temperatures, the clothing should have a slightly warming effect. Depending on the weather, you may also need rain and wind protection, but there are sunny days in winter too. So stock up on a small selection of running clothes for autumn and winter.
It is well known that regular exercise leads to increased sweat production. Running clothes transport a lot of sweat and should be washed after every wear.
To ensure that all bacteria can be washed out, the clothes should be able to be washed at at least 40 degrees, ideally even at 60 degrees. Cold washing kills only very few bacteria. Therefore, when buying clothes, pay attention to the washing instructions of the manufacturer.
If washing in the machine doesn't remove the smell of sweat, here's a little household tip: Put the garment in water with table vinegar for about an hour. Then you can wash it as usual.
Women's running clothes: The most important questions answered
Since running clothes for women are available in many forms, it can be difficult to choose. To make the buying decision easier, we answer the most common questions below.
What types of running clothes are there for women?
- Lightweight running clothes: On warm days, many prefer not only short but also thin clothing. Shorts and tops made of breathable synthetic fibre material allow sweat to evaporate quickly and provide a cooling effect.
- Running clothes for rainy days: If the temperatures are mild, you can simply supplement your usual running outfit with waterproof shoes and a rain jacket. This should keep out both wind and rain, but at the same time be breathable. Otherwise the moisture from the inside cannot get to the outside. The waterproof shoes should also have a non-slip tread.
- Warm running clothes: On cold days, you should ideally dress according to the onion principle. The base layer is functional underwear that regulates moisture on the skin. This is followed by the middle layer, which should be made of fleece, polyamide, down or merino wool. This way, the clothing keeps you warm but still lets moisture out. It is best to wear leggings on the legs, as these regulate the warmth of the leg muscles. The top layer is a wind and rain jacket.
- Marathon running clothes: This should be lightweight and close-fitting. Breathable material such as merino wool is advisable. Whether to wear shorts or leggings is up to individual preference or the weather. While leggings can prevent chafing between the legs, some runners feel constricted. The running shoes should have been worn several times so that the feet are already used to them. For marathons on cold days, the outfit may need to be supplemented with functional underwear and a jacket.
For women, the following applies to running clothes of any kind: don't forget a sports bra. Running causes a rotational movement of the chest, which can stretch the skin after a while. While we cannot avoid age-related sagging, we do not have to support it. That's why women should provide adequate support for their breasts during exercise. This applies to all cup sizes.
How do I wash my running clothes properly?
Because of the special requirements of sportswear, you should also wash it separately and use a low spin cycle. Certain materials should also be washed after each use.
If you don't want to go wrong, simply read and follow the manufacturer's washing instructions. This will ensure that your running clothes are properly cared for.
How do I find the right running clothes for the season?
What is indeed challenging are the transitional seasons. Spring and autumn can be very changeable. T-shirt and shorts are already enough on mild days. In rain and wind, many prefer long-sleeved tops as well as hooded jackets.
To be prepared for all eventualities in transitional seasons, you should have a rain- and windproof jacket ready in the hallway. This can be thrown over quickly if you only notice the bad weather at the door.
Do running clothes come in plus and minus sizes?
For undersizes, the search is a little more difficult. Here, a distinction is made more in terms of length. For example, there are long trousers for shorter legs. Such short sizes can also be found in well-known sportswear manufacturers or online.
At what time of year should I wear running clothes with reflectors?
Even at dusk, speed and distance are already difficult to judge, so you should not wait until it is dark. Running clothes with reflectors cannot be used too much. Better safe than sorry.
Is there running clothing with UV protection?
The technical approach is to weave the fabric more tightly. This gives UV rays less chance to penetrate. However, denser fabric is also warmer. This fabric is therefore not suitable for running on summer days.
To keep running clothes air-permeable, some manufacturers add chemical UV protection during the dyeing process. However, this can wash out over time. In addition, not all skin tolerates the chemical additive.
The best solution is still sunscreen. Choose a waterproof lotion with the protection factor of your choice and apply it underneath your clothes. Head protection is also advisable so that you do not suffer from sunstroke.
Running clothes for women come in such a variety that you can easily feel overwhelmed. However, this variety can also be fun. When choosing, one should consider the change of seasons. If you plan to stay true to jogging, you need to be equipped for any weather condition. Whether warm or cold, the running clothes must be breathable in any case.
Those who want to be dressed not only functionally but also fashionably will also find what they are looking for in running clothes. There is a wide range of colours here as well as small features that make the garment more interesting. So you will find tops with cut-outs or fancy back cut-outs. There is a suitable running garment for every lady.
(Image source: Andres Tanglao / Unsplash)