If you want to run, you also have to take care of the right equipment. Besides running shoes and headbands, a running jacket is at the top of the shopping list.
Running jackets for women are fashionable and practical. They give you that athlete's look and protect you from wind, rain, snow and cold. Nowadays, running jackets are made of high-quality synthetic material, the processing of which creates a water-repellent and wind-resistant product. They rarely need washing and are indispensable for running in the cold or in bad weather.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Women´s Running Jacket: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying running jackets for women
- 4 Running jackets for women: The most important questions answered
- 4.1 What types of running jackets are there for women?
- 4.2 How do I clean and care for my women's running jacket?
- 4.3 What should I look for when buying a women's running jacket?
- 4.4 Why do I need reflectors on my women's running jacket?
- 4.5 Which running jacket for women suits which season and weather?
- 5 Conclusion
The Best Women´s Running Jacket: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying running jackets for women
When buying running jackets for women, there are a few points you need to consider. These have an influence on the wearing comfort, your own health as well as the safety between you and other road users.
These are the following buying criteria:
The following sections will tell you how to choose the perfect running jacket for women.
Since the running jacket should not only wick away sweat, but also protect you from wind and rain and be comfortable to wear, you need to pay attention to the material. Most running jackets for women are made of synthetic materials, as these can be water-repellent and at the same time keep your body warm and yet not too hot.
Most commonly, women's running jackets are made from polyamide, polyurethane, polyester (sometimes in the form of fleece), spandex and nylon. The difference between these synthetics is not noticeable when using and caring for the jacket - the different material names merely indicate a difference in manufacture. They all help to keep the running jacket breathable and lightweight.
Depending on the weather of your running environment, the thickness of the perfect running jacket will also vary. A running jacket for women running in winter needs to be slightly thicker and lined to protect against the body cooling down. For the warmer season, however, the main function of the running jacket is to protect you from wind and rain, which thin running jackets do well. For the transitional season, it's important to find the right thickness that won't turn you into a waterfall of sweat, but will also keep the cold off your body.
The comfort of a running jacket for women is also influenced by its length. This clearly raises the question: do I want the buttocks to be covered by the jacket as well, or just the torso? Here it comes down to personal preference, namely whether you prefer to keep the buttocks a little warmer than the legs.
Not only wearing comfort, but also fashion style plays a role in the length of the women's running jacket. A longer running jacket makes a casual, cool impression, while a short jacket that does not reach over the hips looks dynamic and active.
The material of a good women's running jacket is woven so tightly that it is automatically windproof. Wind quickly sweeps the warm air away from the body, leading to an effect called the "wind chill effect": the wind makes the outside temperature seem colder to you than it actually is.
Despite the dense fabric of the running jacket, you need special wind protection for really cold and windy days. An extra membrane provides this. The membrane is between the outer fabric and the lower fabric and has either two or three layers.
The same membrane that makes the running jacket windproof also makes it waterproof. The problem with waterproofness is that a women's running jacket that does not allow any water from the outside to get inside cannot allow water from your body to get outside. This would mean that the running jacket would not be breathable. For this reason, no running jacket is 100% waterproof.
Not only the material and the membrane protect against moisture, but also extra functions of the women's running jacket: Make sure that your women's running jacket has a detachable hood that fits snugly and is adjustable with a drawstring. Furthermore, the seams should be sealed.
The colour of the women's running jacket has two functions: It is supposed to give the wearer a dynamic look but also provide safety. While a camouflage pattern looks cool, it is more suitable for running in nature away from traffic. If you run near cars, you need to be visible.
Bright colours and neon colours are easier to spot in bad weather than darker ones. Reflective piping also increases visibility. Safety is everything when running. Therefore, go for active, stand-out colours rather than subdued colours that make it easier to blend into the surroundings.
Running jackets for women: The most important questions answered
In the following paragraphs we hope to answer your questions regarding running jackets for women.
What types of running jackets are there for women?
- Women's running jackets for the transitional season: Running jackets for the spring and autumn are suitable for the transitional season. Rain or windy and cool weather is more common in these seasons, so running jackets are windproof and waterproof. With a women's running jacket for the transitional season, you can avoid catching a cold while running.
- Winter running jackets for women: In winter, you definitely need a running jacket that is warm but still breathable. A winter running jacket is also thinner than, for example, a winter coat; therefore, it is important to wear several layers of clothing.
- Glow-in-the-dark / reflective running jackets for women: Glowing and reflective jackets guarantee visibility and thus increased safety. By putting on a luminous or reflective running jacket, you reduce the risk of an accident in traffic.
- Women's running jackets with hood: You should consider the weather in which you will be running. If you will be running in the rain, buy a running jacket with a hood. Often these are detachable so they don't get in the way when running in good weather.
- Women's running jackets without a hood: If you are quite sure that you will stay at home in windy, cold weather or rain, you can buy a running jacket without a hood without having to keep thinking.
- Women's running jackets with detachable sleeves: Running jackets with detachable sleeves are a hit. Sometimes you just want to wear a running jacket in warm but not hot weather, for example when running on a spring night. That's when it's a good idea to be able to remove the sleeves of the jacket, because otherwise you would overheat.
As you can see, there are a variety of running jackets, all of which fulfil an important function.
How do I clean and care for my women's running jacket?
Before you throw your running jacket in the washing machine, all pockets and zips should be closed and the jacket itself should be put in a pillowcase. The wash itself should only be done at a maximum of 40 degrees - preferably on the gentle cycle at 30 degrees. A low number of revolutions and a low load of the washing machine additionally protect the running jacket.
After washing, the running jacket must be hung to dry and must not be put in the dryer. There are additional instructions on the care labels. When ironing some materials, a cloth should be placed between the iron and the running jacket.
What should I look for when buying a women's running jacket?
- Whatever the season or weather, the women's running jacket must be lightweight. After all, it's all about running performance, and this should be as carefree as possible.
- The colour of the running jacket must contribute to the safety of the running environment. Bright colours, neon colours and reflectors are suitable.
- The material should correspond to the market standard: polyamide, polyurethane, polyester, spandex or nylon.
You may end up forgetting the most important features of a running jacket when thinking about all the buying criteria. Therefore, always pay attention to the lightness and colour of the running jacket as well as the material.
Why do I need reflectors on my women's running jacket?
Which running jacket for women suits which season and weather?
For the cold season, there are windproof running jackets with microfleece. They have a thicker finish on sensitive parts of the body, such as the back. The shoulder area is impregnated to keep you dry in snow and rain.
Running jackets for women are not just a trend: they are indispensable for runners. Different colours such as the camouflage look or neon colours make these running clothes a fashion statement. Due to the synthetic material used and the associated properties of the running jacket, it rarely needs to be washed. However, you should not do without special washing powder and waterproofing agents.
Reflectors and a more specific choice of colours increase the safety value in traffic. Your own health also benefits from a running jacket: in the rain and wind it protects you from the elements, and in winter it prevents your body from cooling down. Besides, it provides ventilation for your own sweating body. Every lady simply needs a running jacket!
Image source: unsplash.com / andrew dinh