When the summer nights get cooler and it slowly turns into autumn, you know it's finally time to snuggle up again - and with your new favourite scarf! A must-have for every woman!
Whether in silk, wool or cashmere - women love the scarf. It is a matching companion to many different outfits and at the same time keeps the shoulder area and the neck nice and warm. Whether elegant or casual, a scarf is suitable for every occasion!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Women's Scarf: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying scarves for women
- 4 Scarves for ladies: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for women's scarves: How to achieve the perfect look with a scarf
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Women's Scarf: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying scarves for women
Scarves are like shoes: women can never have enough of them! There are countless variations, colours and patterns you can wear. Thus, the right scarf for every lady can be found quickly if you take certain criteria into account.
These are the following buying criteria:
- Colour and pattern
In the following paragraphs you will learn what to look for when buying a scarf and how to find the right one.
Scarves come in many different fabrics. It is important to pay attention to the quality of the material. A scarf lies close to a woman's neck and should be comfortable to wear. That is why it is worthwhile to choose high-quality materials.
- Merino, cashmere, virgin wool: Oldie but Goldie, that's all we say! Keeps you warm, is durable and breathable.
- Silk: The noble classic among fabrics. Silk offers a cooling effect in summer, but in winter it is suitable at most for decorating the neck.
- Cotton: Is also breathable, durable and above all easy to care for.
- Fleece: This material is very soft and warm at first glance, but has the effect that you sweat quickly due to the synthetic fibre.
- Polyester blend: Usually found in combination with cotton and has the advantage of being durable and super functional.
If you want to do something good for your conscience, make sure that the materials come from sustainable production and that fair production can be guaranteed. This makes wearing the scarf even more fun!
Colour and pattern
When it comes to colour, there are no limits. From light to dark, bright or pastel, everything is possible. You can buy a scarf according to your personal colour preferences.
You are always on the safe side with dark shades. Shades like grey, dark blue, brown or black look very elegant and feminine. They are also considered the all-rounders in the colour palette.
Bright colours, such as bright red or pink, make you look self-confident and at the same time exude a youthful charm.
And then, of course, there are the I-am-here scarves. Animal prints are the must-haves to make a plain outfit interesting and exciting. Clearly, anyone who reaches for animal has something to say and makes a statement with this piece of fabric.
To protect your neck optimally, the scarf should be about 25 - 35 cm wide. This way, everything is wrapped up nice and warm and you don't look like you could disappear behind it.
Looking at the length, a scarf can basically be divided into:
- short: up to 140 cm - perfect for the office because they look discreet and are not too flashy.
- medium: up to 175 cm - is the standard length and a good styling choice. The scarf can be loosely wrapped around and tied once at this length.
- long: up to 210 cm - can be wrapped around several times for extra warmth.
- XXL scarves: up to 250 cm long or more - very trendy, but more reminiscent of a blanket than a scarf.
The same applies to length as to fashion: whatever you like and feel comfortable in is allowed.
If you are sitting by the sea in summer and a light, cool breeze is blowing towards you, then a light scarf made of silk or high-quality, light cotton is the perfect choice.
In autumn, winter or spring, we like to reach for warming materials. So depending on which season you want to wear the scarf, the choice falls on thinner or thicker scarves. The colour is also usually adapted somewhat to the season.
Scarves for ladies: The most important questions answered
There are simply so many beautiful scarves that make your heart beat faster. That is why we have taken this as an opportunity to answer the most important questions about scarves for you.
In which styles are scarves for women available?
Fortunately, with a scarf you are not tied to a specific occasion, but can wear the scarf for many occasions.
- Casualscarves: floral prints, plain colours, stripes or polka dots - everything is possible and allowed with casual scarves. In different materials and patterns, this variant is the most versatile.
- Elegant scarves for the evening or the office: here, less is more. Scarves made of light fabrics, such as silk, and in subtle colours are used here. Very elegant and confident! But discreet glitter is also allowed.
- Loop scarves: are a great alternative to the classic scarf. The question of styling is self-explanatory, because the loop is simply pulled over the head and it fits. Loops look casual and can also be combined well with business outfits, provided the material is not too coarse.
What are the current scarf trends for ladies?
Of course, a scarf should keep you warm, but it should also please and preferably be trendy. After all, you don't want a shopworn item, but a scarf that guarantees envious glances and is fully on trend.
The current trends for scarves are:
- Scarves with animal print
- Scarves with a checked pattern
- Scarves with logo
- Fake fur scarves
- Scarves in neon colours
This selection of trends offers you so much scope for individual styles that it is difficult to decide on just one trend. The only guarantee is that there is something for every taste.
What is the right way to care for a women's scarf?
To ensure that you can enjoy your new scarf for a long time, here are a few tips on how best to care for it.
- Proper washing depends primarily on the material. Cotton is easy to handle and easy to clean by hand washing. For high-quality wools, a special washing and care product should be used.
- Once the scarf has been washed, you can place it in a towel to dry and iron. However, the scarf should never be wrung out too tightly to avoid damage.
- For storing silk or cashmere scarves, it is best to use a strong tissue paper or the original packaging.
Wool scarves in particular have the annoying property of fluffing after a while. However, you can prevent this by slightly moistening the scarf and then placing it in the freezer for a day. This closes the pores and prevents lint on the scarf. If all this doesn't help, it's best to use a lint shaver and simply cut off the lint.
How can I make a women's scarf myself?
You haven't been able to find the right model for you in the shops or online? Then you can also choose to make the scarf individually according to your wishes. You have the following options:
There are numerous tutorials on this topic on the internet. Magazines such as Burda or Brigitte also provide you with suitable patterns. Just browse through them and find the right style for you!
Styling tips for women's scarves: How to achieve the perfect look with a scarf
Not quite sure which scarf goes with which outfit? Don't worry, we've put together a few styling ideas below that will keep you on the stylish side.
In everyday life
A pair of jeans or leggings, a T-shirt and a casual coat or cardigan and the everyday look is complete! If you prefer a more feminine look, simply choose your favourite dress, add matching tights and a pair of cool booties - done.
To the office and then to the theatre?
No problem! A scarf goes well with a jumpsuit, shift dress or trouser suit. Patterns are also allowed, but it is important to make sure they are of good quality and made of fine material. Silk and cashmere are ideal. The basic rule here is to keep the colours subtle.
We have also compiled the most popular ways of tying a scarf for you. So nothing should stand in the way of your next appearance with a scarf.
- The European Loop - Fold the scarf and place it around your neck, then simply pull the open ends through the loop created. Done!
- The Waterfall - Wrap the scarf once around the neck and hide one corner of one end in the loop around the neck. This creates a waterfall.
- The Twist - The process is the same as the European Loop, except that only one open end is passed through the loop. Then the loop is twisted and the second open end is pulled through. Very elegant!
This is only a small excerpt of how you can tie a scarf. Of course, there are still several possibilities and instructions.
Women's scarves are rightly very popular with women, because on the one hand they enhance the outfit in no time at all and on the other hand they have the practical function of keeping you warm. That is why they should not be missing from any well-stocked wardrobe.
Whether casual, sporty, elegant or chic - a scarf can be combined with any women's outfit. In different colours and materials, they can be perfectly adapted to a woman's individual styling preferences.
Sources: Unsplash & 123rf