Shirts are versatile tops that, with their endless styling possibilities, are the perfect addition to your wardrobe. Whether it's for a classic office outfit, a casual leisure look or a special occasion combination, there is a perfect shirt design on the market for you.
Shirts for women are one of the absolute basics of women's fashion and can be found in all kinds of colours, patterns, materials and lengths on the market. So you can follow your preferences without restriction to find the right shirt for you. The great thing about these tops is that they can upgrade a simple look in a flash.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Womens Shirt: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying shirts for women
- 4 Shirts for ladies: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for women's shirts: How to achieve the perfect shirt look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Womens Shirt: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying shirts for women
The wide range of shirts for women means that you can quickly become overwhelmed when buying. It is important to pay attention to a few criteria in particular. To make the best choice, you should pay attention to the following buying criteria:
In the following sections, we will show you what the individual buying criteria are all about.
The size of a shirt is made up of several measurements. To find the right size for a shirt, you should therefore know your own measurements in advance. You can do this easily by measuring the following with a yardstick or a string:
- Neck circumference/collar size: ranges from 37/38 (S) to 45/46 (XXL) for standard sizes.
- Chest measurement: ranges from 108 cm (S) to (134) cm (XXL).
- Waist measurement: goes from 94 cm (S) to 120 cm (XXL).
- Sleeve length: a normal length goes from 66.5 cm (S) to 67.5 cm (XXL).
If you measure these different things, you will find the perfect size.
Basically, you will find most shirts in a standard length. This ensures that you can then combine your shirt with different garments. However, long shirts are also available on the market. They can be styled in different ways and can be a substitute for a short dress in summer. Moreover, if you are looking for a modern version for the summer season, various shops also offer short shirts that are tummy-baring. These can be combined well with a short skirt or a pair of jeans.
Just like the other buying criteria, there are different materials to choose from when you want to buy a shirt. Cotton is a versatile and combinable material. It unites very well for everyday wear and ensures that you are dressed comfortably and stylishly at the same time. Silk is a very fine material, which is not only advantageous because of its appearance. Silk is more durable with a high spandex content and is particularly popular because it is so comfortable to wear.
Chiffon is a very fine, transparent material. It is a light fabric that skilfully hugs the body. Shirts made of this material have a somewhat irregular surface. Linen is perfect for the warm season. This breathable and natural material is very pleasant and offers high wearing comfort at high temperatures.
Viscose and rayon are light and elegant and add a simple, special touch to any look. This synthetic material is perfect for elegant outfits for the office, business lunches or special occasions. Jeans are great for everyday looks and can be worked into a variety of shapes.
Shirts for women are available in all different colours depending on taste or occasion. You can usually find a classic shirt in white, or in delicate pastel colours, such as light blue or light pink. These colours are very suitable for work or business occasions. However, you can also find shirts in many bright and colourful variations. Depending on your taste and mood, you can find the perfect colour on the market.
To give you an overview, we have picked out the most important patterns for you.
- Plain: a classicplain shirt without pattern belongs in every wardrobe.
- Plaid: is a great alternative to a classic shirt and adds that extra special touch to your look.
- Dotted: this unique, cute pattern is an elegant alternative when you want to spice up your everyday look.
- Striped: this pattern always looks fresh and elegant and is suitable for any occasion.
- Floral: floral patterns always look very summery and fresh.
- Animal print: this option is very suitable if you are looking for something a little more casual and fun.
In addition, you can also find very specific and special patterns according to your own taste.
Shirts for ladies: The most important questions answered
The many variations and possible combinations do not make it easy to choose the right shirt for ladies. For this reason, we have selected the most important questions about ladies' shirts and answered them briefly for you.
What types of ladies' shirts are there?
- Classic shirt: features a straight or slightly fitted cut and collar. This shirt goes with everything and, whether paired with business trousers or jeans, is perfect for everyday dress code.
- Casual shirt: this type of shirt usually has a loose cut and a free interpretation of the collar and button placket. So you have more tasteful freedom here than with a classic shirt and can find one in all colours and shapes.
- Festive shirt: this type of shirt is perfect if you don't want to wear a dress to a festive occasion. An elegant shirt can be combined with trousers or a skirt for a very fashionable look. Such shirts are usually made of fine, high-quality fabric.
- Denim shirt: usually corresponds to a classic shirt, but is made entirely of denim. The material makes it more down-to-earth, which is why this type of shirt is very popular for everyday wear.
- Long shirt: in summer, a long shirt is a fashionable and attractive alternative to a short dress. Also in winter, combined with leggings or tight trousers, it makes for fresh and innovative looks.
How do I find the right shirt size?
Most are in centimetres. If you measure accurately, you should find the right fit for your figure. There are also a few aspects you should look out for. For example, a classic cut is comfortable and not constricting, while slim fit is more of a figure-hugging, narrow cut. Very curvy ladies should watch out for strategically placed flounces, as these do not have a slimming effect, while long shirts are more suitable for tall ladies than short ones.
So it's best to consult a size chart, especially to avoid making the wrong purchase when shopping online. Of course, it is also important to consider your own needs.
Which shirt suits which figure?
On the market you will find fits for every silhouette and style. Whether narrow and figure-hugging or wide and comfortable, it is important that you find the perfect fit for you. For women with a normal proportioned H-silhouette, a normal waisted, figure-hugging shirt will fit.
If you have a figure with more hip width and less waist, then an only slightly fitted A-shape shirt is right for you. This shape creates a casual, relaxed silhouette. For women with a slim silhouette, on the other hand, a heavily fitted shirt that is very figure-hugging will suit you.
How do I wash and fold a shirt properly?
For dark and black shirts, the colour will remain longer if you use a special detergent for black clothing. White shirts are usually washed at 40° degrees. Shirts made of silk can be washed in a wash bag with mild detergent at a low spin speed. To fold your shirt properly then, you should do the following steps:
- Button up the placket and smooth the shirt face down in all directions.
- Fold right side of shirt in thirds and fold back sleeves with one hand.
- Do the same with the left side of the shirt and smooth everything out.
- Fold the bottom half of the shirt upwards and carefully turn the shirt inside out.
Styling tips for women's shirts: How to achieve the perfect shirt look
Once you've found the perfect shirt for you, now it's time to find the outfit to go with it. If you want to look fashionable and elegant, here are a few tips that can help you take your look to the next level.
- Tuckshirt in: Tuck the shirt into the front of your trousers or skirt. This makes you look slimmer and skilfully traces your silhouette.
- With a jumper: Wear your shirt under a jumper with a neckline. You can leave the collar down or tucked out. This style looks very simple and elegant.
- Unbuttoning: Un button your shirt a little at the bottom and tie a knot. This style allows for a tummy-baring or shorter version.
- With a belt: You can style longer blouses with a belt for a look that instantly looks very fashionable and modern.
A shirt is one of the most versatile and versatile garments you can have in your wardrobe. Whether it's every day for work, a casual meeting with friends or an elegant occasion, every woman should own at least one shirt. The diverse range of colours, patterns and materials ensures that you can find the perfect shirt for you. The most important thing is that you find the right fit for your figure.
Sources: unsplash & 123rf