No subject is known to make women feel as weak as the women’s shoe. Every woman has them and every woman loves them. According to surveys, the average woman in Germany owns 20 pairs of shoes. It is not without reason that women’s shoes enjoy great popularity.
There are different shoe styles, models and colours in the shops for every taste and every occasion. Whether for everyday wear, for going out or for a business meeting – a suitable shoe can be found in every woman’s wardrobe. For the perfect look, it is not only the look and styling of the shoe that is decisive, but also its fit.
The Best Women’s Shoes: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying women’s shoes
With so many different shoe styles and models for women, it is easy to lose track of them all. To find the perfect women’s shoe for you, there are some buying criteria you can consider.
The following buying criteria will help if you find it difficult to choose a shoe model:
- Suitability for season
- Design / Optics
In the following paragraphs you can find out what exactly you should look for in the individual criteria in order to find the perfect shoe model for you.
Suitability for season
Not every shoe is suitable for every season. You can keep the following aspects in mind when making your purchase decision
- Spring shoe: Weather conditions in spring can vary between cool mornings, warm afternoons, rain and sun. Therefore, sneakers and lace-ups that have a sufficiently thick sole and a water-repellent material are suitable for spring. On warm days, the spring shoe should not make you sweat.
- Summer shoes: For summer, shoes should be chosen that do not completely cover the foot or are sufficiently breathable. Sandals, ballerinas and thin lace-up shoes are particularly suitable for the sweaty season.
- Autumnshoes: As we all know, autumn is characterised by rainy days. To be sufficiently protected from the wind, the first cold and rain, you should choose a shoe that covers the ankle and has a thicker sole. For the transition to winter, you can opt for an ankle boot, for example.
- Winter shoe: Protective footwear is especially important for winter. Boots or ankle boots with lining, a thick sole with tread and a water-repellent upper will protect you from snowfall and freezing temperatures.
When buying a shoe, you should therefore always make sure that the model is suitable for the desired season and weather conditions.
Depending on the occasion for which you need a shoe, you should choose your model. Sporty shoe models, for example, are perfect for everyday wear, a walk in nature or your next shopping trip.
If you are invited to a wedding, a date or a party, you should not reach for a street shoe, but choose an elegant shoe alternative with a heel.
Business shoes should also be elegant and simple to complement the classic look with a blouse and suit trousers or chinos. The right shoe will make a professional impression on your work colleagues and clients.
For sporting activities, sports shoes that are breathable, have a springy sole with enough resistance and offer enough freedom of movement are suitable. This way you are perfectly equipped for going to the gym, dance class or jogging
The material is also an important purchase criterion that should be considered when choosing a shoe model. This criterion is related to the season already mentioned and the occasion for which you want to add a new pair to your shoe collection.
Similar to the number of different models, there are also numerous materials that can be used to make a shoe. Mostly, however, shoes consist of a composition of different materials.
In this regard, the majority of women’s shoes on the market today are made of man-made materials – it is not uncommon for the soles to be made of rubber or thermoplastics and the uppers to be made of textiles with synthetic fibres. Leather, synthetic leather or natural fibres are also frequently used as uppers.
Basically, however, the choice of material for your women’s shoe model depends on your preferred look, the season, the occasion and how you feel when wearing it. For many, the issue of sustainability is also not to be neglected when making a purchase decision.
For every women’s shoe, it is also important that it fits well in order to remain comfortable over a longer period of time. Improperly cut shoes can cause blisters, pressure marks or, in the worst case, long-term damage to the foot.
The right women’s shoe size is essential for a perfect fit. The length of the foot is decisive for determining the shoe size. There are numerous tables on the internet where you can find out which foot length in centimetres corresponds to which shoe size.
Many shoe manufacturers also offer different widths for their shoe models. A distinction is made between a narrow foot (C), a medium-width foot (F) and a wide foot (M). This measurement is also important for choosing a shoe that is not too tight but also not too loose.
Design / Optics
Last but not least, you should also pay attention to the look of the shoe. In addition to the basic functions of a shoe, it should also be visually appealing to your taste.
Whether sporty, elegant, classic or modern silhouette – there is guaranteed to be a suitable shoe for every occasion, every weather condition and every taste. You can distinguish between high-priced designer shoes or conventional shoes that are available in high quantities.
Apart from the silhouette of the shoe, the colour is also central. Depending on the colour scheme of your wardrobe, you should choose your next shoe model. Fancy colours will turn your look into an eye-catcher
Women’s shoes: The most important questions answered
In the following we have compiled the most important questions about women’s shoes for you. We would like to answer them briefly for you so that it will be easier for you to decide on a shoe model.
What styles of women’s shoes are available?
To ensure that all tastes and preferences are catered for, there are many different types of women’s shoes. The following is a summary of all shoe styles for ladies.
- Sneakers and lace-up shoes: Sneakers are sporty shoes for leisure time and have a lacing on the front foot. A distinction can be made between low-top, mid-top and high-top sneakers
- Boots: The typical characteristics for boots are the robust sole made of rubber with a profile and the shaft that goes far beyond the ankle. Subcategories of the boot are, for example, booties, over-the-knee boots and Chelsea boots
- Ankle boots: Another popular type of boot is the ankle boot. They have a shaft that goes over the ankle and a flat to high sole with a tread. Ankle boots can be made of different materials and be lined
- High heels and pumps: Heeled shoes can generally be classified as high heels and pumps. Pumps have a heel height of up to 10 cm. High heels are those with a heel height of more than 10 cm.
- Ballerinas: Ballerinas are classic slip-on shoes. They have no heel, a very thin sole and a wide shaft that provides comfortable foot freedom.
- Loafers and mules: You can slip into loafers and mules quite comfortably. This is made possible by a soft material and an open heel. Mules typically have a thin sole and one or more wide straps across the forefoot.
- Sports shoes: Sports shoes should be worn for sporting activities such as working out at the gym, jogging or dancing. They have a special cushioning sole and breathable material
You can get an overview of the different shoe styles by trying on several models. When you have a shoe right in front of you, you can see if you like the colour, the design and the silhouette
How can I tell if my women’s shoe fits well?
A perfectly fitting shoe leaves enough room for the toes and still offers enough support. When we walk, we usually touch down with the heel first and roll the foot towards the toes. In order for the toes to be able to move forward easily during this movement, they need enough space.
You can follow these tips to help you find the perfect fit for your shoe:
- Freedom of movement of the toes: There should be about 1 to 1.5 centimetres of space from the toes to the tip of the shoe. This allowance can be measured by a thumb’s width using the rule of thumb.
- Firm fit: The foot should be firmly enclosed by the shoe at the heel and in the middle of the foot. In winter, make sure that there is enough room for thick socks. A tight fit is important so that the shoe does not slip on the foot.
- Comfortable lacing: If your shoe has laces, they should feel firm but not constricting. As a general rule, don’t tie your laces too loosely, but also not so tightly that there is no freedom of movement when rolling.
As a general rule, always try on both shoes and take enough time to try them on. Feet are often different sizes and widths. If you wear a women’s shoe for a longer period of time, you will get a feeling for whether it really fits you.
How do I care for and clean my women’s shoes?
With the right shoe care products, you can protect your women’s shoes from environmental influences such as moisture, heat and snow, making them more durable. Not only leather shoes, but also shoes made of natural and synthetic fibres need to be cared for.
A leather or textile impregnation provides basic protection for women’s shoes before they are worn for the first time. The impregnation should be refreshed regularly over time. Light dirt can also be brushed off easily. If the shoe is more heavily soiled, a cleaning lotion can be used.
Shoes made of leather require more intensive care. To loosen the fibre structure of the natural product, you should regularly apply shoe polish or shoe grease. This will prevent cracks and wear marks on the delicate material
A good basic shoe care kit consists of shoe cleaning cloths, shoe cleaners, shoe polish, waterproofing spray, a shoe brush and shoe trees.
Please also note that shoes made of leather and imitation leather are not suitable for the washing machine because their material will be damaged. Women’s shoes with uppers made of natural and synthetic fibres can be washed in the washing machine at very low temperatures with a low spin rate and without additives such as fabric softener.
Styling tips for women’s shoes: How to achieve the perfect look with every shoe style
Women’s shoes are essential to your wardrobe and complete every look in their own way. To help you effortlessly mix and match your shoe collection, we’ve put together styling tips for different shoe styles for inspiration:
- Sneakers and lace-up shoes: with black or blue skinny jeans and a casual oversized jumper, sporty sneakers look particularly cool
- Boots: Over-the-knee boots have been particularly trendy in recent years. With warming cuff socks and a jumper dress or a nice skirt you are dressed modern and contemporary. This look is ideal for autumn.
- Ankle boots: You absolutely can’t go wrong with black biker boots. With a pair of jeans and an elegant coat, the solid shoes look particularly casual. With this deliberate style break, you are guaranteed to be an eye-catcher on the street.
- High heels and pumps: For once, don’t style your high heels and pumps conventionally with a dress or skirt. With a casual pair of light blue boyfriend jeans and a cool jumper, a black high heel looks modern and chic
- Loafers and mules: Combine your loafers or mules with a pair of airy, loose culotte trousers, a tight-fitting top, sunglasses and a nice hat to create the perfect holiday look.
These styling tips are of course only for inspiration for your next outfit. You can, of course, decide according to your personal taste which women’s shoe best suits your look.
Women’s shoes are absolute all-rounders and are not without reason women’s favourite collector’s items. Whether for sport, a business meeting or a date in the evening – women’s shoes can be chosen to suit any occasion thanks to their numerous colours, models and designs.
Women can express themselves in an infinite number of looks with their women’s shoes. In addition to the combination with other items of clothing and the matching styling, the fit of the shoe is also important. To ensure that the women’s shoe remains comfortable in the long term, attention should be paid to wearing comfort when making a purchase decision.
Sources: unsplash & 123rf