When the icy wind blows around the houses in the cold winter months and the first snowflakes start to fall, it's time to unpack the winter boots. They keep feet cosily warm with their lining and the waterproof material protects against moisture penetration. In addition to their extensive functionality, the trendy cuts and fashionable looks round off every outfit perfectly.
Whether sporty or business, vintage or new-fangled, casual or elegant - with the right winter boots your feet will be perfectly protected even in the lowest temperatures. In the following section you will learn what to look for when buying women's winter boots, what features they should have and what types exist on the market.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Women´s Winter Boots: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying women's winter boots
- 4 Winter boots for women: The most important questions answered
- 5 Conclusion
The Best Women´s Winter Boots: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying women's winter boots
Before you rush out and buy a new pair of winter boots, first consider what exactly you need the shoes for so that you can narrow down your choices accordingly. In this section, we'll take you through some of the criteria you can use to evaluate and compare women's winter boots:
- Application area
- Material / Lining
- Shaft / Closure
- Profile / Heels
If you base your purchase decision on these evaluation criteria, you should have found the right winter boots in no time. We explain everything in more detail below.
Range of use
When it comes to winter boots for women, you can basically choose between everyday or leisure boots or winter hiking boots (outdoor boots).
While leisure boots fulfil roughly the same functions as outdoor boots, their focus is more on design. Outdoor boots are usually a little more robust and have additional features that make trekking or mountaineering in nature safer.
From ankle-high leather boots for walks at the Christmas market to calf-high lambskin boots for hunting in deep snow: you can usually find the right model for every situation in our online shop.
Material / Lining
Winter boots made of leather come in either smooth or suede variations. Their advantage is that they let your feet breathe sufficiently and look trendy. The stretchy material hugs your feet and keeps moisture out.
Faux leather winter boots are imitations of real leather and offer similar advantages. They are also cheaper in price and easy to clean.
Winter boots made of polyester score points with their elasticity and high wearing comfort. They are well suited for wide feet and outdoor activities in the snow.
Winter boots with lambskin or wool lining have a fluffy interior and fit comfortably. The material offers a lot of warmth and absorbs plenty of moisture, so you won't sweat easily.
Winter boots with fleece lining provide a comfortable feel. The synthetic wool material is also lightweight, solid and sustainable.
Winter boots with a Tex membrane guarantee dry feet thanks to their functionality, as they wick moisture to the outside and don't let any water in.
Shaft / Closure
Overknees are an extravagant form of women's boots in which the shaft reaches above the knee. They are often combined with beautiful evening wear.
Long-legged boots (half-high / knee-high) are usually made of smooth leather and are characterised by the fact that their shaft ends about halfway down the calf.
Short boots (ankle-high) have a short shaft and are made of suede or synthesised materials. They are a nice addition to casual and sporty looks.
Winter slip-on boots make putting them on and taking them off a breeze because of their elastic insert. To prevent feet from getting wet, the upper should be as close to the leg as possible.
With winter lace-up boots, you can adjust the shaft width individually to your calves. They score with stable support and a high level of comfort.
Just like winter slip-on boots, winter boots with zips make it easy to put them on and take them off. The zip often extends over the entire shaft, so you can easily find the right fit for you.
Profile / Heel
Whether you prefer flat or high heels, it's the sole that counts: the sturdier the tread, the more slip-resistant the boots.
If you prefer a secure and comfortable grip, flat, low or wide block or wedge heels are best.
Women's winter boots with narrow or high heels make you look taller and give your legs a visual stretch. This type of boot is a real eye-catcher, but is not recommended for winter sports.
Winter boots for women not only increase your feel-good factor, they are also undoubtedly a popular fashion accessory. The combination of trendy designs and non-slip rubber soles make these boots a wonderful addition to your shoe wardrobe.
The numerous colour combinations and patterns make many a woman's heart beat faster. Winter boots for women come in different heel sizes and varying shaft heights. They can also be perfectly combined with leggings, skirts or figure-hugging skinny jeans.
The selection ranges from feminine ankle boots with block heels or casual vintage boots with rubber soles to robust Panama Jacks with reinforced studs. The huge range leaves hardly anything to be desired.
Winter boots for women: The most important questions answered
When should I start wearing winter boots? Which model is best suited for which activity? What distinguishes winter boots from normal boots? In the following section, we would like to answer these questions and explain all the relevant details about winter boots for women in more detail.
What are the characteristics of winter boots for women?
Women's winter boots not only fulfil functional tasks, but should also look stylish. They should therefore meet a number of requirements:
- Insulation: The boots serve as comfortable warmers and protect against icy outdoor temperatures. The highly insulating fabric and fluffy lining (fleece, synthetic fur, real fur) guarantee that feet always stay warm.
- Odour inhibition: Quality winter boots have a breathable textile membrane that prevents an unpleasant odour from developing in the boot even after prolonged wear.
- Water repellency: Thanks to the textile membrane, moisture in the boot is ideally wicked to the outside, while snow or water cannot possibly penetrate inside due to the robust outer material.
- Tread resistance: A solid tread gives you the assurance that you will maintain a firm footing even on icy ground. For particularly slippery conditions or mountain hikes, there are models whose soles are reinforced with spikes. The sole acts as an extra insulation booster and the firm shaft protects sensitive ankles from twisting.
- Appearance: What woman likes to put on boots that don't round off the outfit nicely? Ladies' winter boots combine functionality with design and are a real eye-catcher at the same time.
- Manufacture / origin: Vegan women's winter boots have been trendy for quite some time. They are made of ecological and moisture-repellent microfibre. An absolute must-have if you want to combine environmental awareness with timeless fashion.
What types of women's winter boots are there and for what purpose are they suitable?
Leisure boots for ladies
Everyday boots have a soft sole and slightly less tread than outdoor boots, but still offer optimal grip on icy or snowy surfaces. The sole may contain special rubber compounds, particles of metal or tiny glass splinters that provide a strong grip even on icy surfaces.
They are mainly made of sturdy, breathable and moisture-repellent leather. But there are also foam alternatives that trap small air bubbles and provide excellent insulation from the inside. Since leisure boots do not have to endure long hikes in deep snow, it is more the fashion aspect that counts with them.
When it comes to the inner lining, you can choose between lambskin, synthetic or wool. Synthetic dries faster, but loses heat easily when the inside of the boot gets wet. Lambskin and wool, on the other hand, create a cosy wearing comfort even when damp, but dry much more slowly.
Winter hiking boots for women
Outdoor boots can withstand frosty temperatures down to minus 30 or even minus 70 degrees. There is an additional insole between the footbed and the sole, which keeps your feet warm even during hours of hiking in snow-covered nature.
If you want to walk on particularly icy terrain, you can resort to spikes or Icers, which are strapped around the outside of the boots and function like snow chains for the feet.
For off-road use, there are also outdoor boots that have gaiters attached directly to the boot. This is especially helpful if hiking tours turn out to be slushier and snowier than expected. Other models have a special snowshoe pad that keeps the retaining strap from slipping over the heel.
For winter hiking boots, there are the same choices for the inner lining as for casual boots. Some models let you remove the inner lining of the boots altogether, so you can dry wet linings faster in the fresh air.
How can I clean and care for my women's winter boots?
- Use shoe care products and impregnate your women's winter boots before wearing them out for the first time. If you let the care product soak in well, the boots will become much more hard-wearing.
- If the inside of your boots have become wet, you can use toilet paper or newspaper to soak up the moisture.
- Never place the boots directly under the heating, as this can cause the leather to become brittle.
- Boots made of smooth leather can be wiped with a simple cloth and shoe soap. There are specially designed erasers for cleaning suede boots.
- If chunky salt marks form on the boots, you can remove them with vinegar.
- Shoe trees are helpful if you want to widen your boots a little or simply maintain the fit.
- Black, white and brown are the most popular colours for women's winter boots. Shoe polish in a matching complexion can restore a new freshness to once shiny shoes.
If you follow these tips, you will certainly enjoy wearing your favourite boots in the long term.
Women's winter boots are the be-all and end-all for activities in snow, ice and frost. From casual and cosy to stylish and fashion-forward, women's winter boots are a trusty companion through the icy season. With the right boots, you'll be much happier to leave the house in sub-zero temperatures.
Whether sporty winter boots for riding, high-tech boots for mountain climbers or ankle boots with studs for walks at the Christmas market: there is something for every taste. Quality materials and sufficient care guarantee that you will be satisfied with your boots for a long time.
Image source: unsplash / Robert Nelson