Women, unlike men, get cold feet quickly and therefore freeze. Wool socks for women are therefore an absolute must, especially in winter. You can wear wool socks for women with your favourite boots or sneakers or just at home to snuggle up on the sofa in front of the TV. Wool socks are a must-have item of clothing!
Besides the hands and the nose, it is usually the feet that suffer first from sinking temperatures. Therefore, it is important that you keep your feet warm with women's wool socks to prevent your feet from freezing and making you sick.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Women's Wool Socks: Our Picks
- 3 Wool socks for women: The most important questions answered
- 4 Conclusion
The Best Women's Wool Socks: Our Picks
Wool socks for women: The most important questions answered
With such a large selection of different wool socks for women, it can be very difficult to make a decision on a model. To help you as much as possible, we have compiled and answered the most important questions about women's wool socks.
What types of wool socks are there for women?
Of course, not all wool socks are the same. You are well advised to choose a lighter knit for sweaty feet and a coarser fabric for freezing feet. Wool socks for women can be made from the following materials:
- New wool: The new wool is processed directly after shearing and comes from live animals. The noble material warms the feet and regulates moisture. It is ideal for ladies' wool socks, especially in winter.
- Merino wool: This thick wool comes from merino sheep and is easy to care for like no other fabric. It does not crease, rarely fluffs and has a natural self-cleaning effect. Because they are so comfortable to wear, merino wool socks for women are also popular for mountain tours.
- Wool: Wool, on the other hand, can also be made from remnants of old textiles. Sock wool is usually a mix of materials - usually 75% virgin wool and 25% polyamide. In addition to the advantages of virgin wool, polyamide makes the knitted fabric dimensionally stable.
- Bamboo wool: Wool made from bamboo is becoming increasingly popular because it can absorb a lot of moisture and has an antibacterial effect. It is especially suitable if you are allergic to sheep's wool.
Why should women wear wool socks?
Wool socks stubbornly cling to the labels "for cold ladies' feet" and "winter sports". Both are true, of course, but wool socks can do much more. The natural material acts like a natural air conditioner and warms on cold days and protects against excessive sweating in the heat.
What is the best material for women's wool socks?
Merino wool is one of the noblest and most valuable natural fibres because it has unique properties. It is especially known for its softness and fineness. Due to its natural thermoregulation, merino wool socks for women are breathable and odour-resistant, both in dry winter cold and sultry summer air. Mixed with other materials, merino wool can even be worn for sports.
What do wool socks for women do?
Wool can take a beating unlike cotton or even synthetic fibres. The fibre can absorb up to a third of its dry weight in water vapour without feeling damp. At the same time, the moisture is quickly wicked away to the outside, so that perspiration odours can be prevented. After all, it is only contact with bacteria on the surface of the skin that gives sweat the odour that has given it its bad reputation. However, if you wear shoes around your wool socks that are not breathable or not very breathable, the effect can fail to materialise; unfortunately, even the best sock can't fix anything here. So if ladies' wool socks "smoke", it is most likely a result of wrong shoe choice and/or stocking fibre.
How should you wash wool socks for women?
Wool fibres have unique natural properties, but these can be destroyed by incorrect cleaning. For example, sheep's wool has a natural cleaning function, so it is best to let wool socks air out for two days after one day. Washing is only necessary after several weeks. Since many detergents are alkaline and this would attack the fibre and thus destroy this self-cleaning function, it is essential to use special wool detergents or even a shampoo. It is best to wash wool socks by hand in lukewarm water or alternatively in the easy-care programme at 30 degrees. After washing, you can wrap them in a cloth and wring them out carefully. To dry, lay them flat on a clothes horse. You should not put woollen socks on the heater as they will shrink at high temperatures.
Feet are usually one of the first areas of the body to suffer when temperatures drop. When resources are limited, the body automatically prioritises and allocates the remaining heat to those parts of the body that need it most urgently, and the feet are not one of them. Women in particular suffer from this phenomenon.
Only those who protect their feet with insulating wool socks for women can effectively prevent cooling. With wool socks, this works without the unpleasant side effect of sweaty feet that many other materials have as a bonus to their warmth.
(Image source: Lumn / pexels.com)