Bras for women are an important addition to everyday fashion. They provide comfort and support in every situation and many women can't imagine life without bras. However, finding the right bra is often not so easy.
It is important to know what size you need. Or maybe just what models are available. Because with so much choice in the fashion world, it's easy to lose track. A few tips and tricks can help you decide on the best bra model.
Every woman knows the problem. What is the best way to find a well-fitting and comfortable bra that also looks good? To minimise this problem, the listed buying criteria should give you insight into what to look for when buying a bra.
These are the following buying criteria
Below you will find the listed buying criteria with important tips to consider. These should make your purchase decision as easy as possible.
Bras for women come in many different materials. These include classic jersey, cotton, lace and polyester. The different materials feel different on the skin.
Before buying, it is therefore advisable to touch the materials and see how they behave on the skin. Lace can often be a bit scratchy on the skin, or polyester can make you sweat.
It is therefore important to find out how you like your bra to feel against your skin. After all, a bra is worn all day and should offer every woman the best possible comfort.
The right fit is very important when buying a bra. Since a bra is an item of clothing that a woman wants to wear all day, it should fit properly. But what exactly is the right fit?
The bra should fit snugly against the ribcage and not stick out anywhere. The back band should not be too high or too low on the back. It should sit level with the shoulder blades. The décolleté and under the arms should not show.
The underbust band should not be too tight, but also not too loose. The straps should also not be too tight and cut in. But they should not be too loose either, because then they will not support you properly.
Of course, size also plays an important role in ensuring that a bra fits properly. The size of a bra is given in two different categories. There is the underbust size and the cup size. The cup size is given in letters and ranges from AA to N. AA is the smallest size and N the largest.
The underbust size is given in numbers and increases in steps of 5. This ranges from 60 to 140. Together, these values give the size of the bra. A classic size in Germany would be 80B, for example. This means an underbust size of 80 with a cup size B.
To determine the right size, you need to measure your underbust circumference and your bust circumference. Either directly in the shop or at home. If you want to buy bras online, you can then consult size charts.
There are many different types of bras for women. Each of these different styles brings different benefits for your figure or for the purpose. You should think about what you want the style of bra to focus on.
- T-Shirt Bra
- Push-Up Bra
- strapless bra
- Balconette bra
- Minimizer bra
- Sports bra
These are the most common bra styles. In addition, there are some other sub-types, such as the half cup bra, which functions similarly to a push-up bra, but is not as noticeable. Each of these models can achieve different effects. Which ones exactly will be explained and shown to you in detail in the questions section.
Bras for women come in many different designs. Simple and plain or strikingly colourful. There is no limit to your imagination. The important thing is to choose according to your own taste.
It makes sense to have different designs in your wardrobe. Depending on the occasion, you may need a plain skin-coloured bra or you may want to wear something striking with lots of colour and lace. So you should always look at the occasion.
The best womens Bras: Our Picks
In which styles are bras available?
You have already been introduced to different types and styles of bras for women in the buying criteria. To explain a little more about what makes up each type, you will find a description of each style below.
- T-shirt bra: A T-shirt bra is a classic model. They are, as the name suggests, specially designed to be worn under tight shirts. This means that they are designed to be seamless so that they do not show. You can get this type with or without underwires.
- Push-upbra: A push-up bra is designed to lift the bust. It does this from the bottom and from the side. Cushions made of fabric or silicone help with this. This effect can create a full décolleté even if you have a small cup size.
- Strapless bra: The strapless bra is very advantageous when the shoulders are not covered by clothing. The advantage of this model is that you can unhook the straps at will if you don't want them to be seen. However, you can also use the bra in the classic way with straps when wearing closed clothing.
- Balconette bra: A balconette bra is helpful when wearing a garment with a large neckline. Since the straps are sewn to the sides of the cups, the décolleté is kept very free. If you feel uncomfortable with a strapless bra, you may want to consider a balconette bra.
- Minimizer bra: Minimizer bras are designed to make large breasts look smaller. Their special cut can give the illusion of a smaller breast. At the same time, this type of bra gives extra support because it was developed for large breasts.
- Sports bra: The sports bra, as the name suggests, is designed for sports. It is specially designed to provide optimal support during sporting activities. A distinction is made between the types of sports for which the bra is needed, as there are different materials that provide different levels of support.
- Bralette: A bralette is a bra without underwire and without cups. This type of bra is very soft and provides little support for the breasts. However, a bralette is very suitable under shirts. Often this type is not offered in the classic sizes, but in S, M, L, and so on. Even though they provide little support, they are very comfortable to wear.
To find the best and most comfortable style for you, the wearing test is suitable. It is important that they try on the right size. Only if they feel comfortable and nothing is stuck, the type of bra suits you.
How do I know what size I need in bras for women?
In the category 'Size' in the buying criteria you have already gained an insight into how to determine your size for bras. Below is another list for you of the criteria you can use to determine the right size.
- The first step is to measure your underbust size. If you find this difficult on your own, visit a specialised shop.
- You also need to measure your chest circumference. If you find it difficult, go to a specialised shop.
- When wearing a bra, nothing should cut or bulge. If this is the case under the arms or in the chest area, the bra is too tight.
- The straps are almost always adjustable. If they are too tight, it is possible to make them wider.
- The cup should not protrude from the breast. This can indicate either a cup that is too large or one that is too small.
If these tips and tricks are followed, you can easily determine the perfect size for your bra. In addition, you should of course also pay attention to your comfort. Do you feel comfortable in the bra model of your choice? That should also be an important decision criterion when buying bras.
How do I care for and clean my bras for women?
Women's bras can easily be washed in the washing machine. However, you should check whether the bra has underwires or not. If it does, you should buy an extra bag in which you can wash them. It can happen that an underwire comes loose. This could then cause damage in the washing machine.
The better way to wash your bra is by hand. The colours and fibres of the bra stay beautiful longer. Of course, this is not as convenient as washing in a washing machine, but you will enjoy your favourite bras for longer.
Just as with machine washing, bras should be sorted by colour and fabric. Warm water and a gentle detergent are all you need.
Which type of bra for women goes best with which clothes?
As already indicated in the types, the different models of bras go with different types of clothing. If you want to wear tight T-shirts or jumpers, a shirt bra is suitable because it does not show.
If you want to wear a garment with a wide neckline, a balconette bra helps to conceal the straps. The strapless bra is best for strapless dresses or tops. Push-up bras are also suitable for clothes with a neckline, as this model conjures up a very beautiful décolleté.
Styling tips for bras for women: How to discreetly conceal your bra
- The bra model should be adapted to the occasion of the clothing. Do you wear cleavage or perhaps rather a closed top?
- The right colour is very important. Especially under light-coloured tops, bright colours look very present. Always choose beige bras under white clothing. White would be even more noticeable under white.
- The right size is crucial. If the bra cuts in, you will see this under your clothes.
Bras for ladies come in very many different shapes, colours and sizes. Since every breast is different, you should always make sure which size fits you best. So it's important to know exactly which size to go for.
When it comes to design and colour there are many different options and you are free to choose according to your own taste. Because in the end, what matters is that you feel comfortable in your chosen bra. That is the most important thing about buying.