Many people believe that paper books have a bleak future ahead of them. They say that the advent of the various mobile devices we can use to read will lead paper to become obsolete. However, that time hasn't come just yet, and many of us feel that books are still essential in our lives. If that's your case, you may be interested in having bookends.
These accessories will help you keep your home nice and tidy, and they're great decorative items too. If you pick the right ones, you can add a beautiful touch to the room in which you place them. In the following article, you'll learn everything there is to know about bookends so you can choose the perfect model for your home.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our Selection of the Best Bookends
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Bookends
- 4.1 What are bookends exactly?
- 4.2 What types of bookends are there?
- 4.3 What are bookends for?
- 4.4 Why should I buy bookends for my children?
- 4.5 Should I buy a functional or a decorative bookend?
- 4.6 What materials are used to make bookends?
- 4.7 What are the advantages and disadvantages of bookends?
- 5 Buyer's Guide
- 6 Summary
- You can find many bookends on the market. The design options are virtually endless too, which is why you need to know exactly what you're after. This is the only way to make the right purchase.
- There are two main options when it comes to bookends. First of all, you can buy two bookends to hold the books on either side. You can also buy a single bookend and use a wall or piece of furniture as the support for the other side.
- Make sure to choose a very sturdy model if you plan on holding many books at a time. Otherwise, the bookends could break or fall and damage your books in the process. You should also opt for quality materials so that these accessories can last. We'll discuss this further in the last section of our comprehensive guide.
Our Selection of the Best Bookends
If you want to find out which bookends are the most interesting for your home, it's always useful to discover the products most popular among users. That way, you can learn about specific features to keep in mind when making your purchase. In the following section, we've handpicked the very best bookends available on the market for you.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Bookends
What are bookends exactly?
In that regard, the range of design options is incredibly wide, and you'll be able to find the one that best suits your tastes and that matches your home interior. That being said, you still want a piece that stands out in the room in which you place it. Bookends can also hold CDs, vinyl records, catalogs, or magazines.
What types of bookends are there?
|Type of bookends||Characteristics|
|Single||These models are composed of a single piece, responsible for holding the books on one side. On the other side, you will need a wall or a piece of furniture to do the job.|
|Double||These bookends consist of two pieces. One is placed on either side of the books. You won't need any other support and you can therefore place them anywhere you want.|
What are bookends for?
Why should I buy bookends for my children?
But children's bookends aren't just about organizing and decorating their room. You can use these accessories to stimulate your kids to read books. At a time when the younger generations are captivated by everything related to technology, finding alternatives for leisure time is extremely primordial. Reading just so happens to be a fantastic way to spend free time.
Should I buy a functional or a decorative bookend?
|Type of bookend||Characteristics|
|Functional||Functional bookends are purely designed to fulfill their duty. They are not considered to be decorative items and are generally created to go unnoticed. Their main goal is to be useful.|
|Decorative||These bookends are precisely created to be an important piece in your home decor. This is why you have to pay particular attention to their design when picking a product. Make sure that it fits with the rest of your room's decoration.|
What materials are used to make bookends?
- Metal. These models are basic but very decorative. While some don't weigh too much, they still hold the books quite well.
- Plastic. Most of them aren't too resistant but they offer attractive designs.
- Wood. These sturdy bookends will support the weight well. They can be quite heavy, so be careful when handling them.
- Methacrylate. This interesting material is transparent and particularly strong.
- Cardboard. While these bookends cannot support a lot of weight, they offer other perks. The main one is that they are recyclable, and you'll therefore be caring for the environment.
- Acrylic. This very resistant plastic material is a great choice for heavier books.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of bookends?
Now that we're nearing the end of our shopping guide, you should know that having one or several bookends in your home will be very useful. That being said, there is a number of key criteria that you should be familiar with before you decide which model to purchase. In the following section, we'll be looking at:
Picking a quality product is the very first thing you should think about when purchasing your own bookend. That way, it will last longer and will better fulfill its main function. Your accessory will also provide greater support for your books, not to mention the fact that the esthetics may be more appealing. You should naturally try to get the best possible value for money.
The base of your bookend should be slip-resistant. This is very important to make sure that your product doesn't move once you've placed it somewhere. Secondly, you'll also avoid scratching the piece of furniture on which your bookend rests. Don't forget that certain materials can damage surfaces when you move them around, so don't overlook this aspect.
Where you plan on placing your bookend will partly determine the kind of bookend you need. If you want to put it on a glass shelf, for instance, avoid choosing a heavy material that could potentially damage or break the surface. Take the height and depth measurements of the space to make sure that your bookends can fit.
The size of your books is another aspect that you should keep in mind. Esthetically speaking, you will probably want to avoid having a bookend that is taller than the volumes themselves. This is a particularly important point to consider if the products will be placed in a child's bedroom, where the books might be smaller. If you opt for a single bookend, remember to have a wall or furniture on the other side.
As we've discussed earlier, the design is naturally something to take into account. Try and choose a model that you won't get tired of after a while. In the same vein, you will also want to make sure that the bookend you buy fits well with your home decor. You will need to be clear about whether you want a purely functional model or a more attractive one.
Bookends are truly great accessories to have around the house. Not only are they very helpful to hold your books, but you can also use them as decorative objects. This is why you'll want to pay attention to the design of the model you want to buy, but also its measurements. Don't overlook the manufacturing material while always seeking to obtain the best possible value for money.
You will need to decide whether you want to purchase a single bookend or two items to go on either side of your books. Remember to have a wall or a piece of furniture on the other side if you choose a one-piece model. If you're not sure you have such a place, then choose to have two bookends to avoid unpleasant surprises. That way, you can use both or a single one.
We hope you found our shopping guide on bookends helpful and interesting. If that's the case, feel free to share our article on your social media. You can also leave us a comment with your opinion in the section below!
(Source of Featured Image: Aozora1: 72359561/ 123rf.com)