Many people love cooking but avoid cooking things they like if they create too much smoke or bad smells. Even if people don't mind paying this price, we would still all rather avoid it. If you want to be able to cook whatever you want in your kitchen without worrying about smells, you need a cooker hood.
While a cooker hood won't completely get rid of odours, they help a lot. Even if they don't eliminate all kitchen smells, they are worth having. If you don't have one, you will end up dealing with bad smells often. To help you buy the best cooker hood possible, we have put together the following guide.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key facts
- 3 Our selection: The best cooker hoods
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about cooker hoods
- 4.1 What is a cooker hood exactly?
- 4.2 What types of extractor hood are there?
- 4.3 How do cooker hoods work?
- 4.4 How should you clean and maintain a cooker hood?
- 4.5 How big is a cooker hood?
- 4.6 What are the best kind of motors for cooker hoods?
- 4.7 How much noise should hoods make?
- 4.8 What are the advantages and disadvantages of extractor hoods?
- 5 Shopping criteria
- 6 Summary
- A cooker hood is designed to get rid of or cut down on kitchen odours. They can be found in most homes and help keep houses and kitchen smelling good.
- The modern market has a wide cooker of products. They aren't just made for kitchens in private homes, but industrial and commercial purposes as well.
- When you get a cooker hood, you have to have certain things in mind, including the main features of your model of choice. You need to consider your budget and what kind of ventilation system it has.
Our selection: The best cooker hoods
When you buy anything it pays to do your homework first. Below we have compiled a list of of the best cooker hoods on the market and included their most salient features to help you make your choice.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about cooker hoods
Now that you have a better idea of the primary features of a cooker hood you are ready to dive a bit deeper. Below you will find out more about some of the most successful models out there as well as the thoughts and opinions of previous buyers. All of this will make your purchasing decision that much more informed.
What is a cooker hood exactly?
What types of extractor hood are there?
Below are some things to have in mind when selecting a cooker hood:
- Recirculation: Recirculation cooker hoods use carbon filters to clean the fumes and smoke and produce only clean air. It is great for kitchens that don't have ventilation connected to the outdoors. It is not as effective as some other models.
- Suction: Suction cooker hoods take in fumes and odours which are then expelled outside of your home via a duct. These work very well and leave behind very little smell or smoke.
- Roof: These go on top of the roof. They are highly effective and easy to use.
- For island: When the stoves are placed on a kitchen island, a different bell is needed. Some extractor hoods have these bells and work best for kitchen islands.
- Wall: These appliances are wall-mounted and come in a variety of shapes. They are common and do a great job.
- Integrated wall: These are built right into kitchen cabinetry. It is the most modern style and the one that tends to look the best in new kitchens. It's nice because it is almost completely hidden from view when not in use.
- Countertop: A great way to modernize any kitchen is to get one of these cooker hoods. They sit on the countertop and recede into it when not in use, much like the integrated wall models.
How do cooker hoods work?
|Type||How it works|
|By extraction||They suck up smoke and odours which are then passed through a grease filter. They are then expelled through a vent to the outside. They come with anti-return valves which prevents any odours and smoke from reentering the kitchen.|
|By recirculation||These are good for when there is no duct connecting the kitchen to the outside and works by cleaning and recirculating the air. The cooker hood absorbs the air, which passes through a filter and comes out clean.|
How should you clean and maintain a cooker hood?
|What should I do?||Why?|
|Turn on the filter||Turn the cooker hood on as soon as you start cooking. This allows it to absorb some of the stove's heat and minimize overcooking.|
|External cleaning||Use only the gentlest products on the exterior. Warm water and some mild soap is the best way to do it. Dry it well.|
|Clean the filters||You typically have to clean filters once per month. Some can be put in the dishwasher. Others require handwashing.|
|Change the filters||With re-changeable filters, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions.|
|Turn off the cooker hood||You shouldn't turn off the cooker hood as soon as you finish cooking. Leave it running for a few minutes to clear all of the smoke and odours from the kitchen. Then you can turn it off.|
How big is a cooker hood?
What are the best kind of motors for cooker hoods?
How much noise should hoods make?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of extractor hoods?
As we get nearer to the end of this guide, there are some important purchasing criteria you need to be aware of. If you want the best cooker hood for your needs, know how to apply the below shopping criteria to any potential purchases.
This is one of the most important considerations when buying a cooker hood. Suction models require a duct with access to the outdoors, and won't work with a kitchen that doesn't have that. Most kitchens do, but many still do not. If yours does not, you are going to need a recirculation cooker hood.
Just like all your other kitchen appliances, cooker hoods require regular cleaning. Before buying one, check how easy it is to clean. Understand the cleaning requirements of the different materials and pieces, as well as how easy the cooker hood will be to disassemble if need be.
In keeping with the above criteria category, filters are another very important consideration when buying a cooker hood. You need to know whether you will be able to remove the filters and put them in the dishwasher. Since you will need to replace them somewhat regularly, you should also know how much replacements cost.
Since cooker hoods tend to be one of the central features of a modern kitchen, they need to look appropriate for your kitchen in addition to being effective. There are so many models out there, and many of them look very nice. It should fit well with the theme and decor of the rest of your kitchen, including your other appliances.
There is a formula you can use to calculate the extraction capacity you will require. It can be used for either recirculation, without smoke extraction, or extraction, with smoke input. The surface refers to the surface area of the kitchen (in m2). The following are the formulas:
- Recirculation bells. The extraction capacity (m3 / h) = surface x height x 20
- Extraction hoods. The extraction capacity = surface x height x 10
For example, if you have a kitchen of 16 square meters with a height of 2.25 meters and have a smoke vent, the formula will be as follows: 16 x 2.25 x 10 = 360 m3 / h
A cooker hood is a kitchen appliance you simply can't do without. If keeps your kitchen and surrounding rooms smoke and odour-free. There are two main types of cooker hood: suction (which expels smoke and odour outside) and recirculation (which clean the air and send it back into your house).
When deciding on a product, there are several things to keep in mind. You have to consider suction capacity, how loud they are, their size, whether they will work in your kitchen and how stylish they are. There are many models out there that will have everything you are looking for, you just need to make sure you are getting good value for money. Lastly, it is important to know how much replacement filters cost.
If you like the above guide to cooker hoods and found it helpful, share it with your friends and family on social media. Additionally, you can leave us a comment below and let us know what you think.
(Source of the featured image: Katarzyna Bialasiewicz: 42293659/ 123rf.com)